Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Nice!

Just add the ML stylus and you're good to go!

3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I haven't found the technical specifications of the new SL-100C but I'm going to guess that it should be very similar to the SL-1500C and still likely manufactured in Malaysia.

But as @33na3rd said, swap out the conical stylus with an ML and you're good to go.

5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Still looks like it will be close to $1k.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  6. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

This seems like an absolute world beater for the price. If a friend were looking for a turntable in the $500-1000 range I can’t imagine recommending anything else!

It’s also just smart positioning for Technics. The lower end of the turntable market has been hot in recent years, and while this won’t compete with a $300 deck it’s priced right and has the features to make someone considering a Fluance or it’s ilk consider paying a bit more for a much better table. It’s also well positioned to capture those upgrading from $3-500 decks, offering a material improvement that used to cost a lot more.

Twinsfan007, OldSoul, ls35a and 6 others like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it does what it is supposed to do, I am all for it. I hope it retained some sort of VTA adjustment mechanism from either the MK7 or the 1500C.

8. JackG

I think I see the lock for VTA adjustment between the counterweight and anti-skate dial.

BayouTiger, 33na3rd and Ringo like this.
  9. Julio Alejandro

Julio Alejandro Well-Known Member

I Like this feature: an automatic tonearm lift which can also be turned off should you want to and high-rigidity cabinet featuring a high-damping insulator for thorough shut-out of vibrations, ensuring a smooth vinyl-tracking process.

Shak Cohen and Shawn like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wouldn't expect it from Technics, but I have seen fake VTA lock on some cheaper Hanpin et. al turntables. Look forward to seeing more info and specs. I've already got what I need, but it would be nice for something else on the market that I could recommend to people.

woodpigeon, Shawn and JackG like this.
  11. Ringo

Ringo Forum Resident

This looks good! I've got a Uturn Orbit custom and a Fluance Rt-85...looking to level up without spending a fortune. So many decks in that next level but no real standout, no-brainer choice...I want to try a direct drive and I like removable head shells so the SL-1500C seemed like a great choice...except I'd be reluctant to pay for a presumedly mediocre built in phono stage or a Ortofon Red, neither of which I'd be likely to use. This takes out the phono stage and the cartridge is cheaper, thus the overall cost of the deck is less. As mentioned above if it's still a fully adjustable tonearm including VTA this will be a very intriguing option. I'm assuming it will ultimately be available in the US. Looking forward to some actual reviews and/or confirmation of similar specs to the 1500-C. If that checks out....The SL-100C may be my next deck.

TMAN123, Johnny Wong, IRG and 2 others like this.
  12. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

I guess they ran the numbers with a Schiit Mani phono ($130) in mind.

900 Euros = $1083 roughly.

$1200 for a 1500c.

Don’t want to hurt 1500c sales.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  13. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Looks like with this and the other recent move Technics is going to dominate the turntable market...again.

OldSoul, anorak2, hifisoup and 2 others like this.
  14. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Good thing they ditched the Ortofon. I never thought the 2m’s were a good pairing for the Technics Arms.

Stonegarden71 and flatandround like this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Now. this is interesting and of interest to me though I have no need for a 4th turntable but never say never! Just so long as it's not made in Malaysia... :hide: ;) The VM95C is a great choice, especially as I now have two spare VM95MLs!

Clonesteak and Aftermath like this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Why not just go for the 1200 Mk7 under $1k? I expected this SL100c to be at the $699/$799 price point considering it doesn't have the built in pre and comes with a $29 cartridge? The 1500c is still the better choice for plug and play/no fuss.

17. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I think the 100C looks promising.
    I'm still imagining a 1500GR or 1200C, however Technics wants to label it. Basically a stealth GR w/ auto-lift. Some people have quibbled over the functionality of the auto-lift on the 1500C but I really appreciate it. A great feature, IMO.

cnolanh, McLover and Pali Gap like this.
  18. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

It's listed at the same price as the 1200MK7, which is $999.99 in the US.

bluemooze and Aftermath like this.
  19. dreamingtree1855

I've already got a 1200gr I love, but to me this is even more compelling that the 1500c. I understand the point of built in phono and 2m red but I'd never use either. If this turns out to be a 1500c minus the red and phono I'd take it over the 1500c for my personal use case.

20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yup, me too. I don't own an amp w/o a built in phono stage so have zero desire for one built into the table. I like my audio simple unlike many here. But I'd like to see a table like this at $800-850 tops.

21. JackG

Little bigger pic here:

[​IMG]

JoelWat, ziggyzag, OldSoul and 6 others like this.
  22. aunitedlemon

I've never used the built-in pre or the 2M Red on my 1500C. Never had any intention to. If the 100C is a 1500C w/o the pre and a different cart then that would've gotten my dollar when I was shopping. The 100C shown is not visually identical to the 1500C. I'm curious to know how much materials difference there is between the two?

23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I don't see vta adjustment on this one??

24. aunitedlemon

That picture doesn't show dust cover hinge mounts but it's easy to imagine they omitted that for a cleaner photo.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  25. dreamingtree1855

Yes feels like $800 is the sweet spot for competing but $1000 isn't crazy. I have both a Rega and a Technics and both are great, but it would be pretty tough to sell a P2 next to this for $800. The Regas seem like absolute toys next to these decks regardless of how competitive they might be in actual sound quality.

Itamar.K, three_paws, SamS and 3 others like this.