Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's been reported elsewhere that Peter Hammill has revealed the Van Der Graaf Generator albums from the 70s are coming in 5.1 surround.

Apparently this is revealed in the interview he did with Prog magazine, out today.

The remixes have been done by the same chap who did the recent Be Bop Deluxe deluxe releases, with Hugh Banton closely involved.

Amazing and unexpected...I never thought it could ever happen but I'm so up for these if it's true

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Excellent news! I can't wait to snag H to He, Pawn Hearts and more. Those BBD packages are sweet.

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I will be getting these for sure!

UlisesLima, Dennis Metz and Fred1 like this.
  4. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Count me in for certain. I do wonder just how much stuff there is to add to the albums though in the way of live stuff etc. It could be that these will not be sets as big as the BBD or J Tull releases, which is okay too. I'm fine with a cd of original mix (new remaster), new stereo cd mix, dvd with 5.1 mix. Now, if they've uncovered some new quality stuff to add then I'm fine with that too.

Tim Bucknall and Fred1 like this.
  5. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Great news. Count me in!

6. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you're right that extras might be minimal, most if the ones added for the most recent remasters were poor quality live performances which I believe first appeared in 'The Box'

There are the extras for Pawn Hearts though....

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  7. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Are the BBD done with care? As in dynamic intact and not compressed to death?
    Sounds promising, lets hope

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Instant buys

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Very much not the point I know, but I'm hoping we might get a set of new vinyl pressings that are better than the last attempt (not a difficult hurdle to jump...)

10. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

Will it be released from Cherry red records?
    In that case it could be something like Renaissance box sets from them.
    I remember they released a box set of Van Der Graaf Generator first album.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Not sure, but ” ...Peter Hammill says that the band's classic albums are now owned by Universal, and reissues are coming later this year.”

12. UlisesLima

This is from Van Der Graaf unofficial Facebook page.
    " All the VdGG Charisma albums to be released remixed on vinyl.
    Also 20 disc box set “The Charisma Years”, including new stereo remixes, 5.1 remixes of the same albums with some unreleased material, according to Prog magazine."

13. This is fantastic news. Instant purchase.
    I have all the Be Bop Deluxe reissues and I think they sound great, so I have hope that these will also.

CybrKhatru and eelkiller like this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I never had any problem with the original mixes on vinyl. Unfortunately they got screwed up on the way to CD.

I don't have a 5.1 setup so it doesn't look like there's much of anything here for me, although I'm curious as to who remixed them. The new Prog issue isn't in my library app yet.

kundryishot and Tim Bucknall like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I hope they are released in a similar format with bonus tracks etc.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Great. Well maybe 20 discs is a lot but may have to strongly consider it, despite my lack of 5.1. Hasn't ever stopped me before.

Tim Bucknall, fRa and UlisesLima like this.
  17. UlisesLima

Neither has me. I have all the Jethro Tull and Marillion box sets and also don't have 5.1 setup. Who knows, apart from collecting, maybe someday I will upgrade to 5.1.

Tim Bucknall and Instant Dharma like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I am counting on it. At some point. I am looking for a new AVR. possibly a Marantz.

Tim Bucknall and UlisesLima like this.
  19. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm in and don't have 5.1.
    This is a band where I would purchase records and cd sets.
    I hope Hammill solo Fools Mate through Sitting Targets gets the same treatment.
    If the records were to get AAA treatment I don't know I would be able to contain myself.
    I was hoping Wilson would be the guy.
    If its Cherry Red , is it them that did the Hawkwind catalog ? I thought those two disc sets were good.
    I loved the Calvert ones especially.

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I'm in for the 5.1s

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

To me, this will be an event.

22. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am very interested but honestly I hope they don't go crazy with the price of a 20 disc boxset.
    A thing like what Gentle Giant did would be a thing of beauty for sure but too expensive.

23. UlisesLima

Agreed, it will definitely be expensive if that 5.1 mixes are in the box.

24. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

The Charisma albums are 7, one of them is a double (Vital), so they should account for 8 discs. Therefore, another 8 discs should be the 5.1 stuff.
    That leaves space for 4 extra discs, 3 of which could be BBC stuff (even if the BBC stuff could easily fill 4 cd).
    I highly doubt some new material has been unearthed, let's hope for some BBC upgrades and above all that they will not brickwall the main albums.

If all the work has not been completed yet, they should seriously consider consulting some knowledgeable VDGG expert to help them out compile the box without the usual errors and omissions.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah how many more times can I buy the BBC stuff? And what about the Box? Obsolete I guess.