Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. roole

roole Forum Resident

Sure it's not. My original question was:

2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I understand why jumpers are needed and how they work. Perhaps I misread what you were saying but you seemed to be advocating biwiring and using jumpers simultaneously. Apologies if I misconstrued your meaning.

3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Now that I've looked again at that photo, I was confused originally on how many wires were being used. That actually is an okay way to use jumpers.

4. roole

roole Forum Resident

To put it simple I was asking wether is OK to use different AN cables for bi-wiring. It's kind of difficult question because I suppose if one is using bi-wiring it is usually the same cables. Anyway ANs opinion is to use the same cables for that purpose.

5. jonwoody

I would suggest, since you have the cables, try it and see how you like the sound. The only opinion that really matters is your own when it comes to sound quality.

6. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, that's what I was advocating :laugh: And the only way that makes sense is if you have two cables and you're simply using the doubled speaker terminals as a practical way of connecting the two cables to the speaker. Imagine if the speakers weren't biwirable (is that a word?). Then if you wanted to hook them up with two speaker cables, you would have to somehow connect them to the two speaker terminals, e.g. by using bananas for one cable and spades for the other. But if you have four speaker terminals and you only have banana plugs on the speaker cables, you can use the four terminals to hook up the speaker cables but then you need decent jumpers in order to obtain the combined effect of the two cables. It's close to bedtime here, and I have had wine, so I hope I'm making some kind of sense ...

jonwoody likes this.
  7. jonwoody

I appreciate you're wine addled attempt to explain it. :D Teasing but my understanding of bi-wiring has been one cable run connects to the high frequency posts and the other to low frequency. And that's it the type of connector, spade or banana doesn't matter.

BettisDad and Lowrider75 like this.
  8. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

The best way to use jumpers is how @jonwoody described his connection. By connecting one conductor of the main cables to the woofer and one conductor to the tweeter, and then running the jumpers from each connected terminal to the non-connected terminal on the other speaker, you will have a more coherent sound. With this connection, each driver "sees" one jumper. With a more typical setup, where the main cables go to just one speaker (woofer or tweeter), and the jumpers go from woofer to tweeter, one driver "sees" two jumpers and the other sees none. With that setup, it's hardly surprising that there is a loss of coherency compared to the split arrangement described by @jonwoody.

Whistle, jonwoody and Lowrider75 like this.
  9. Radoslav

Radoslav Well-Known Member

Hello!
    300b Big battle on the field of Audio Note Russia
    BIG 300B Battle (no bottle) ⚡

WE new & old, Takatsuki, AN 4300 & stock, Psvane WE Plus & Acme, Linlai WE, TJ Full Music, Cetron..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    J.Uotila, spartree, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

How did you rate them? It's pretty tough to tell with youtube. I though they all sounded pretty good which should make 300B owners pretty happy with what they can choose and afford. Besides AN transformers and parts are more responsible than the Tube. I have heard AN with stock tubes beat out some competing amps with $$$ tubes.

I think you need to be in the room to feel AN systems. Youtube played back on a different system yields mixed results.

jonwoody likes this.
  11. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Is there a way to tell the age of AN-K speakers by the look of the cabinet itself? In the past 20 years they moved from front plates with grill holes, then no grill holes but clearly a fitted front, and then to the current smooth front plate without clear fitting lines. Are there official dates when the changes were made? Or when subsequent models were introduced?

Also: when exactly did SPX SE replace SPX and, apart from the cabinet, were there significant changes made to them? I am considering a used pair of K/SPX and wondering if there is a better alternative to them (J/LX?)

Fred Hansen likes this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had the K/SPe in 2002 with rubber surrounds and grill cloth. The new K/Lx is a far better. So even though SPe is the higher cable - the superior surround and cabinet is a far bigger improvement than the cable.

I can't help you with the dates but all the ones with full Russian Birch and no holes and a smooth cabinet in the corners are the new series. These would be the ones I would go for.

[​IMG]

Fred Hansen and jonwoody like this.
  13. R.T.Firefly

Aesthetics-wise, the newer ones would be my choice, too. What's surprising to me is that you put newer lower model over the older higher one (LX over SPe). That would indeed mean the cabinet change improved also the sound, not just the looks. It would be interesting to compare the old SPX with a new LX.

I still can't find any info on when the SPX turned into SPX SE. 2016? Earlier?

Any idea how much new SPX went for originally? I know there's no official fixed price list, but ball park?

14. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

awesome videos ... the new WE's were my favorite of the lot, which surprised me ... they just seem to have energy and life in them. but the 4300s seemed to have more going on though and i heard details with those i didn't in the others. really interesting to hear the difference. you get the star of the day for sure.

jonwoody likes this.
  15. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

More recently a change was made to the bass driver material from a black coated paper to what I believe is basically non-coated. Easy identified by the shiny to matte looking finish of the bass cone. This happened early 2019 from what I've been told. This is same time they started printing the AN logo on the tweeter. There was no subsequent changes to the cabinet structure during this time. Here are my AN-K/Lx speakers with the coated bass cone and non-logo tweeter.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't have any info as to why they changed the cone material/coating and how they differ in sound. If anyone knows, please let us know.

16. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I bought my J-LX in 2007 as brand new, and they were still made in England and still with the fitted front. The new ones with smooth fronts sure look nicer, and the veneer is also nicer. Well I still love my old ones.

17. jonwoody

That was very cool thanks! Just listening on crappy laptop speakers I thought they all sounded quite good I was particularly surprised by how good the Cetron tube sounded as I had zero expectations. Focusing just on the B. Clementine track I am split between the New WE and the TJ Full Music tubes. However that opinion is worthless so next time please invite me! ;)

je245 and Radoslav like this.
  18. jonwoody

Just looking at the pics I will say the new cones look like the same material in my paper cone J's. Personally I like the look of the matte cone material better but I am not a fan of the logo on the tweeter.

19. Radoslav

My be...
    1.WE new
    2. WE old
    3. Cetron
    4. Takatsuki
    5. Psvane acme
    6. AN stock
    7. AN 4300
    8. Full music
    9. Linlai WE
    10. Psvane WE plus

20. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Were all the 300B tubes fully broken in?

Comparing the tubes under the same circumstances and then posting the video was very helpful. Many people talk about different 300Bs but very few have a chance to hear so many. Thanks!

21. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I was going to ask the same (are they burned in?), esp the AN 4300. Thanks for doing this. It's fascinating!

22. Radoslav

yes, well burned in. Only Psvane WE plus 4 days and WE new two weeks

jonwoody, BettisDad and Fred Hansen like this.
  23. R.T.Firefly

On the K/SPX turning into K/SPX SE question - I just received an answer from AN themselves that they switched from one to the other at the very turn of the century. So any K/SPX in the market are probably at least 20 years old.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Joe Spivey Was going to ask the same question myself.:edthumbs:

25. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Tt3 has arrived but I’m not sure how to share pics from my iPhone?