The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I'VE GOT THAT FEELING

Worth the price of the EP.

Great vocal, great piano solo and great slightly out-of-step backing vocals. All neatly put together in a well-constructed infectious song.

THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER

A fun song with perhaps a sting in the tail/tale. Nice harmonica too.

2. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Never thought about that -- I just assumed that she had packed to go join him. But it does make for a cool twist if it means she's leaving him. And quite a burn...

3. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yeah I think you're very probably right in fact. She's packing her bags to come and be with him.

Wondergirl, Adam9 and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"All Day and All of the Night"

[​IMG]
    French EP picture sleeve
    Single by the Kinks
    B-side
    "I Gotta Move"
    Released 1964
    Studio Pye (No. 2), London
    Genre Garage rock[1][2] hard rock[3] proto-punk[4]
    Length 2:22
    Label Pye (UK) Reprise (US)
    Songwriter(s) Ray Davies
    Producer(s) Shel Talmy

mono mix (2:20), recorded 24 Sep, 1964 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

Dave Davies claimed that the song was where he "found his voice":
    - I liked the guitar sound on "All Day And All of the Night", the second single we had. When they tried to develop amplifiers that had pre-gain and all, I thought it wasn't quite right, and I struggled with the sound for a while. I never liked Marshalls, because they sounded like everybody else. Then in the mid '70s I started using Peavey, and people said, "Nobody uses Peavey – country and western bands use them" [laughs]. I used to blow them up every night. I used two Peavey Maces together, and it was brilliant.[7]

Hello I Love You
    Similarities between the song and the Doors' 1968 song, "Hello, I Love You" have been pointed out. Ray Davies said on the topic: "My publisher wanted to sue. I was unwilling to do that. I think they cut a deal somewhere, but I don't know the details."[10] Dave Davies added: "That one is the most irritating of all of all of them ... I did a show where I played All Day and All of the Night and stuck in a piece of Hello, I Love You. There was some response, there were a few smiles. But I've never understood why nobody's ever said anything about it. You can't say anything about the Doors. You're not allowed to."[11]

In the liner notes to the Doors Box set, Robby Krieger has denied the allegations that the song's musical structure was stolen from Ray Davies. Instead, he said the song's vibe was taken from Cream's song "Sunshine of Your Love". According to the Doors biography No One Here Gets Out Alive, courts in the UK determined in favour of Davies and any royalties for the song are paid to him.[12]

Weekly charts[edit]
    Chart (1964–1965) Peak
    position
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[15] 40
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[16] 12
    Germany (Official German Charts)[17] 22
    Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[18] 17
    Netherlands (Single Top 100)[19] 9
    UK Singles (OCC)[5] 2
    US Billboard Hot 100[6] 7
    US Cash Box Top 100[20] 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Although You Really Got Me was seen as the signature Kinks song for so very long, and is still spoken about in hushed tones of awe around the place, All Day And All Of The Night was always my favourite of the Kinbks back when I was a pup, and had yet to discover the full breadth of the bands material..... also as a pup I was all about some rock and roll aggression... age mellowed me a lot :)

Although the style is similar, and the staccato delivery is similar, I have never really considered the songs to be all that similar.
    From my perspective I had never really considered Hello I love You to be that similar to this, but listening with a mind to that, I can certainly hear it.

The song didn't chart as well as You Really Got Me, but it did do well.

I'm not content to be with you in the daytime
    Girl I want to be with you all of the time
    The only time I feel alright is by your side
    All day and all of the night

I believe that you and me last forever
    Oh yea, all day and nighttime yours, leave me never
    Oh, come on...

I believe that you and me last forever
    Oh yea, all day and nighttime yours, leave me never
    All day and all of the night time

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Kassner Music Co. Ltd

We open up with just the guitar and it sure is a really nice sounding distortion for the day. We get the drums punch in after the first rotation and the whole band joins in there.
    Ray gives one of his best straight rock vocals and when we enter the chorus the backing vocals really add to the feel and sound and pump the song up to the next level..

Just before the lead break we get this excellent little pause for the drums to drop down a nice rock fill, and Ray to give one of those excellent rock shout outs, before Dave launches into another excellent lead break.
    Either Jimmy Page was living with the guys, or Dave did all the lead breaks.......

To me this is one of the best rock songs of the ages, and I never tire of hearing it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

With this song being recorded in September, it is bewildering to me that this wasn't included on the debut album.
    I think it would have balanced nicely with You Really Got Me On One Side and this on the other.... In my opinion.

Lab Guy, mikmcmee, side3 and 15 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Shindig 1965

A great version that sounds live to me

Lab Guy, mikmcmee, Jon H. and 7 others like this.
  6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

A fantastic song and the equal of its cousin, You Really Got Me.

7. mark winstanley

I Gotta Move

mono mix (2:24), recorded 17, 18, 24, 25 Aug 1964 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

I don't wanna get left behind
    Gonna love my baby all the time
    If I don't wanna get left alone
    I gotta move on down my baby's home
    And if my baby isn't there
    I'm gonna fill my gap and comb my hair
    Gotta move, gotta move
    Gotta move, gotta move

All my life I've had to move
    Always failed to stay in school
    As I move down this very long road
    Sometimes I wished I'd stayed at home
    Where I'm going no one knows
    Only know I gotta go
    You gotta move, gotta move
    Gotta move, gotta move

I don't wanna get left behind
    Gonna love my baby all the time
    If I don't wanna get left alone
    I gotta move on down my baby's home
    And if baby isn't there
    I'm gonna brush my boots and comb my hair
    I gotta move, gotta move
    I gotta move, gotta move

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Kassner Music Co. Ltd

This is a riff based track written by Ray, and I reckon it is a great track. Prior to getting the extended cd I had never heard it, but it fires along at a rate of knots, and I really like the feel of it.
    I like the space that they allow in the song here. The riff section and then the chorded section with the bass really getting a nice work out just work really well.
    We are still in the territory of My Baby type lyrics, and they become almost incidental to me.
    We also get a nice key modulation, and Ray keeps on moving forward.

Again being recorded in August, this would have been on my version of the album, but of course being the sixties they were thinking about singles and EP's and the album becomes an afterthought.

8. mark winstanley

Tv performance, but I don't know where from.

9. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"All Day And All Of The Night"

What do you get if you take "You Really Got Me", add an extra chord and crank it up a few notches? One of the greatest and most insane rock tracks of all time.

Gripping from the opening note through every crazy drum fill and every wrenching key change to the last note. Particularly the way it transitions under "your side....." - that bit is amazing - and then it transitions into the fantastic chorus. Ray's vocal is ominous and menacing, the guitar solo is dazzling (and that live clip suggests it's all Dave).

It's just a brilliant record that you could write essays about.

BZync, Jon H., pablo fanques and 10 others like this.
  10. croquetlawns

I Gotta Move - what a great riff!

11. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"I Gotta Move"

An irresistably cool, jazzy feel and great use of a key change before the third verse. Obviously dwarfed by the A-side, but streets ahead of the preceding EP and most of the debut album. Getting into the beginnings of the imperial phase here.

Jon H., pablo fanques, Martyj and 7 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

So the opening shots in the Kinks career, are very good. Certainly some interesting, and from a modern perspective, probably poor decisions made, but for the most part the debut album and the main singles were definitely getting people's attention.

If I was looking at the debut album, it would look more like this I reckon.

side one
    All Day And All Of The Night
    "So Mystifying"
    "Just Can't Go to Sleep"
    Gotta Go Now
    "I Took My Baby Home"
    "I'm a Lover Not a Fighter"
    I Gotta Move

Side two
    "You Really Got Me"
    "Cadillac"
    Ive Got That Feeling
    "Revenge"
    I Don't Need You Anymore
    "Stop Your Sobbing"
    "Got Love If You Want It"

That's a bit rushed, because I'm running out of time, but I reckon with some messing about, that ends up being a pretty solid album, and the tracks are leaning more towards original songs, which is where the band shine for me.

Lab Guy, Zeki, pablo fanques and 9 others like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh , yes. That's when things truly get better.

Buddybud and mark winstanley like this.
  14. croquetlawns

That would certainly be a much better debut!

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I agree with all the sentiments above - this is a fantastic song, and to me is actually a more refined version of the previous hit. The riff is better, the band are tighter, and above all, Clem absolutely nails it on that drum part. That variety of 1, 2, and 3 snare hits throughout the song gives it a constant drive and freshness that really moves it along in a way that's still ingrained into my drummers arms to this day. This is also in effect my entry point to the group, and to this day my 45 copy of it was my auntie's original single from 1964. The perfect Beat Rock track.

As for I Gotta Move, it took me a while to actually give this a listen, but it's also a ripper. That riff on acoustic sounds fantastic, and it matches the drive of the A-Side nicely. They were clearly holding back the strong material for B-Sides too, as they've accomplished this here. That pulsating sound later in the track too gives me Kontroversy vibes as well, which I love.

Fun Fact: ADAAOTN was the first song I ever learnt to play in a band, and we played it amusingly without a vocalist at my schools' music festival, with a very short version of Blitzkrieg Bop at the end! Watching the video back on YouTube as a result of this thread was a very nice throwback, so thanks for that!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It's Shindig! again. If it wasn't for Shindig! basically, we'd have significantly less footage of the early Kinks. They had them on a lot and they kept all their shows. Good ol' Jack Good.

Lab Guy, mikmcmee, Jon H. and 6 others like this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Definitely live: check out Dave's fluff (and amusing mea culpa reaction) at 1.06!

18. mark winstanley

Lol I missed that

ajsmith likes this.
  19. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Agree All Day is the equal and possibly better than YRGM. (Wait till we get to I Need You.) The song is different from YRGM because its vocal melody is counterpoint to the riff, and All Day's follows it.

They put a dandy live version of I Gotta Move on the Did Ya? EP from 1992 or so

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

All Day And All Of The Night: what can you say!: I'm just going to paraphrase something I already wrote on the 'diminishing importance' thread way back when cos that's the closest I got to summing up what it means to me.

I first got into The Kinks (as many probably did) through a comp that had all the Pye UK hit singles in order and so of course kicked off with 'You Really Go Me' into 'All Day And All Of The Night', and so from that context I've always just gone straight to ADAAOFTN over YRGM because to me 'ADAAAOTN' is YRGM squared, it's YRGM 2.0, it's just an improvement on it that makes the original, as great as it is in it's own context, outmoded and unnecessary.

It's weird, cos usually when a band clones their breakthrough hit for the follow up so closely it's a ticket to one hit wondersville, but 'All Day' avoids this by being not a repeat of 'Got Me' so much as an expansion package for it: whereas 'You Really Got Me' still has one foot in the terrain of a conventionally confident bluesy sexual come on song, by comparison 'All Day' with it's brutally efficient staccato refinement of YRGM's riffage and manically delivered obsessive lyric, sounds positively unhinged by comparison, and much more directly antecedent of the antisocial aspects of punk and punk-influenced metal - particularly the 'get em off' into the solo bit, which still sounds like pure unadulterated wicked juju captured in one soundbyte.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

All Day And All Of The Night
    The equal of You Really Got Me in terms of rock perfection.

I Gotta Move
    Never heard this before. It's great. It's similar to The Yardbirds' I Wish You Would.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The last time I saw Ray Davies perform, the first encore was All Day and All of the Night. I had heard the song so many times but as soon as those chords started up, I physically felt chills up and down my spine.

23. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Here's The Stranglers version - not so much a cover version as a photocopy! The only odd thing about this is Hugh Cornwell's odd pronunciation of "nighttime". Note that drummer Jet Black was in his late 20s when the original came out - he's considerably older than either Davies brother!

24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I gotta move is pretty cool, nice riff, nice chord change at the end, nice vocals, cool groove. But...

Insane is the word. You’re not supposed to get TWO breakthrough revolutionnary singles in a row like that, using the same elements.

That is indeed insane. What’s even more insane is the chorus, whenever you play this song at parties (and I make a point to play it whenever and wherever there’s a party going on), everyone becomes frantic and screams the chorus at the top of their lungs. And I mean everyone, no matter their age. You Really Got Me has a more elemental riff, but this one has the best crescendo towards a chorus in any song by anyone that I can think of...

Lab Guy, Jon H., Aftermath and 13 others like this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

At Last!
    This is my favourite early Kinks cut and the first one I bought on an OZ 45 which I still own along with Mark's photographed original French E.P. I just had to track down.
    @ajsmith
    @ARL &
    @FJFP
    Have collectively summed up my love of this number that I hold above YRGM.
    Great tension abounds throughout especially with the use of the drum fills and young Dave Davies plays an even better solo than on the previous A side.
    Again as a whole the piece sounds more contemporary than the previous single and good god yes Ray sounds obsessively unhinged as he sings a darker tale of his base need/s!
    This absolutely also deserved to go to number #1 and i was surprised the following UK single went one spot higher than this monster.

mikmcmee, BZync, Jon H. and 11 others like this.