Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

First impressions are similar to "Gimme Some Truth":
    - The Atmos track on the BD is mixed in 7.1 and not in 5.1.2, so there are additional surround channels and no height channels.
    - The Surround Back (Rear Surround) channels of the Dolby 7.1 mix are notably louder than the surround channels of the DTS 5.1 mix. The additional two channels of the 7.1 mix are very low in volume and - because the other channels are so loud - barely audible. You don't really miss something if you only have a 5.1 speaker setup.
    - There's no or barely no audio content above 48 kHz, so the higher resolution of the PCM 24/192 and DTS 5.1 24/192 tracks is basically useless.

1. 24/192 5.1 frequencies (Track 01 Mother)
    [​IMG]
    2. 24/192 5.1 channels (Track 01 Mother)
    [​IMG]
    3. 24/48 7.1 channels (Track 01 Mother)
    [​IMG]

2. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Anybody else thinking that Take 1 of „Cold Turkey“ is vastly superior to the released version?
    The Elements mix of „Mother“ gives me goosebumps...so raw and emotional.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thank you for posting all these jam tracks. That’s the good and the bad thing about YouTube for me .
    I went with the miserly two CD version of POB.

In the old days I would have popped for the deluxe set.
    Now I realize I can pull up these jam sort of things that are interesting to hear once in a blue moon on YouTube and that’s good enough for me.

And... these jams remind me that John was a great rhythm guitar player. Really strong with a great attack.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I agree there is something up between DTS and Dolby Atmos surround. Not sure what. But as for the 'surround' on the raw stereo mixes, I don't get anything as surround. Are sure you don't have some type of prologic activated ?

6. boggs

Am I the only one who likes the Elements mix of INSTANT KARMA ! ? I love it without the echo and reverb. Nice to hear an honest John vocal.

7. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

The height channels will decode properly when you play the disc through an Atmos-compatible receiver, but you can only rip the Dolby TrueHD 'core' 7.1 track.

Zongadude and boggs like this.
  8. boggs

Am very much enjoying this entire box set !

9. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

That is because the rear channels are mixed so low.
    It's not "full surround", the rear channels are just much louder than on the DTS mix.
    What you hear is the Dolby (TrueHD) core of the Atmos track, your Receiver doesn't need Atmos support to listen to it.

zobalob and boggs like this.
  10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

In June 1970 Elvis recorded a song written by Shirl Milete - When I'm Over You. It wasn't released until June 1971:

The song with the same title that's part of Lennon's Elvis medley sounds nothing like this.

Hopefully the liner notes get the composer credit correct. (It sounds to me like an ad lib by John.)

11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Sorry for the dumb question but since I don't have this, what does "Elements Mix" mean in relation to the other mixes?

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Neither did I back then. Of course, I was listening on my GE Trimline stereo, and, at 12 years old, was still reeling from the fact that he actually used the f word so blatantly!

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Tidal credits it to Milete.

NumberEight likes this.
  14. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

15. sgt spascal

sgt spascal Well-Known Member

the outtakes and jams, for me, are what ultimately make this set worthwhile. it's so interesting to dig into this period.
    if they hadn't released it without all the extra goodies, i wouldn't have budged. both the mfsl and 2010 rm sound really really good already.
    so glad i did though!

green_ovation likes this.
  16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm just trying to work out why it's listed as Take 1 when the book says it is Take 26...

17. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

Are you sure you don't have some kind of stereo-to-surround processing engaged (Pro-Logic II, DTS Neo, etc)? All the other reports I've seen both here and at QQ indicate that the outtakes on Blu-Ray #2 are disappointingly stereo-only.

boggs likes this.
  18. boggs

These are the released tracks with some elements from these tracks either isolated, turned down, or unheard 'elements' that were hidden are turned up. Not a dumb question. I had to ask the same on another thread.

19. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Credit error repeated on Youtube:

[​IMG]

Dugan and NumberEight like this.
  20. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Vinyl is noisy and warped, and the mastering is so so. Wish I had put $70 into a first UK instead.

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Oh dear.

22. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

What's the point of that?

J_Surround likes this.
  23. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

Amazon Canada sent me an email last Friday saying they’re encountering a delay in shipping my order.
    They’re website hasn’t been accepting orders for the past week.

24. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Just got home, this box set and The Who Sell Out set was waiting for me. Now I'm waiting on Makemkv to do its thing. Can't wait!:goodie:

25. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Today's arrivals.

[​IMG]

Yorick, Gavaxeman, CDlover and 10 others like this.