The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Shindig! again, miming ‘Tired Of Waiting For You’.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

From Ready Steady Go!, not sure which edition: prob 1964. In the UK in the 90s, this seemed to be the only widely available Kinks poster, and it adorned my bedroom wall for years.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The picture adorns the cover of The Live Kinks too, no?

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Close, but it’s a slightly different photo from the same session prob taken seconds before (or after!) with everyone looking at the camera. (Apologies for my pedantry)!

5. Ray Davies finds new levels of disinterest in his miming performance !!

6. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

So today I'm in Acadia Florida, apparently an antique hotspot. Besides the shops on the main drag, today there are vendors set up on the sidewalk and in lots around the downtown area.

One of the vendors has a bunch of LPs in crates, and what do I see? A first pressing of Kinks-Size. Now, of course the first thing I think is "Wow, I have to take a picture and post it to the Steve Hoffman thread!" :laugh:

Kind of odd that it didn't have a cover though...

[​IMG]

Lab Guy, Zeki, Aftermath and 15 others like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Forgive my oversight, but we need to just check this one off, even though we have covered the songs.

The Kinks ‎– All Day And All Of The Night
    Label: Disques Vogue ‎– PNV 24 127, Pye Records ‎– PNV. 24127
    Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, EP
    Released: 1964
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Beat, Garage Rock, Rock & Roll

[​IMG][​IMG]

A1 All Day And All Of The NightWritten-By – R. Davies* 2:18
    A2 I'm A Lover Not A FighterWritten-By – Miller* 1:59
    B1 I Gotta MoveWritten-By – R. Davies* 2:21
    B2 Long Tall ShortyWritten-By – Covay*, Abramson* 2:46
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I know this doesn't change anything as we have covered, but as with most of the sixties bands we have a barrage of formats, that often include similar, or the same songs, and All Day And All Of The Night came out on this EP with a couple of the album tracks to pad it out.

Released December 64 ... which is why I thought the single came out before Kinksize Session

8. The obvious question - did you buy it ?

9. mark winstanley

Also we had an EP in January 1965 for

The Kinks ‎– Got Love If You Want It
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Beat, Rock & Roll
    Year: 1965

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got Love If You Want It 3:46
    I Took My Baby Home 1:48
    Cadillac 2:53
    Beautiful Delilah 2:12
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Again a compilation of tracks that have already been covered, but for representation here is the Got Love If You Want It EP

Released January 1965

10. mark winstanley

Also released in January 1965 we have

The Kinks ‎– Kinksize Hits
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style: Beat, Rock & Roll, Pop Rock
    Year: 1965

[​IMG][​IMG]

You Really Got Me
    It's All Right
    All Day And All Of The Night
    I Gotta Move
    -----------------------------------
    So there is no doubt that people knew the band were about the place. Also released in January 1965 we have essentially the You Really Got Me and All Day And All Of The Night singles compiled into an EP.
    It's a pretty damn good EP too

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Kind of odd pairing here.. "I'm a Lover" and "Long Tall Shorty" are practically the same song.

Much better selection of songs.. Not a bad little release.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

No, I don't have anything to play it on*. If it had a cover in good condition I might have considered buying it just for display purposes.

*Well, that's not exactly true--I do have my old JVC VL5 in storage, but it would definitely need some work before I tried playing anything on it.

Buddybud and mark winstanley like this.
  13. mark winstanley

So we see things really revving up for the Kinks at the end of 1964, and early 1965. Plenty of product to keep the fans involved and excited, and on Monday, we will look at the lead in single for the Kinks second album.

14. Yeah, and as it was an original you'd be lucky if it was in any kind of condition to actually be played. Having said that, an original pressing is an original pressing!

15. Just the excuse I need to play Kinda Kinks again!

16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It looks like other countries, in this case France, got different releases to the UK. Pretty usual at the time. I wonder if these were available as import items in the UK?

17. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    1964 Dusseldorf, Germany

18. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Hello Kinks Kollectors!

The discussion of songs, in the order of release, has been rewarding. Though Ray's early songwriting was still developing, and the cover choices (and performances) seem to be a polarizing feature of the reviews so far, I have enjoyed everyone's opinions. I myself like all of the the '60's Kinks output, even the primitive early stuff.

I wanted to bring up the US release "Kinks-Size" as a viable 2nd album experience for US fans. It neatly ties up the Kinks-Size Session EP, single tracks and the leftovers from the UK first album into a pleasant collection. My first exposure was buying the LP in the late '70's (remarkably, still in print!) on the orange Reprise label of the time in re-processed stereo. This particular fake stereo had added reverb, making the Kinks sound as if they are playing in a hall or a sound stage; some listeners LOATHE the fake stereo approach to their music. Myself, I really like it, as it makes the "weaker" material sound "stronger", if you will. "I've Got That Feeling", in particular, sounds great with this treatment. YouTube does not have any needle drops of the rechanneled Kinks material so I cannot link to this sonic experience. Of course, YMMV, and I of course prefer to hear the original UK mono mixes in as low-generation fidelity as will allow, and I've bought countless records and CD's to really get the best sonics.

Also - I kind of love the goofy US covers and liner notes; they really were milking the British Invasion teen market for sales, and the covers reflect this. The US fan certainly had a different experience with the Reprise releases!

I'm intrigued by the "Kinks in Germany" compilation LP mentioned upthread - sounds like the better alternative to compiling these tracks, as "Kinkdom" in the US drags out the Kwyet Kinks EP with repeats of tracks already on previously released Reprise albums. Unforgivable!

Finally, as I type this, I'm listening to an awesome compilation on the PRT label from 1981: "Spotlight on The Kinks"! It's a 2 LP set with excellent sonics, a great pressing, and many mono mixes that I hadn't heard of the 1967 "Something Else" material (now common, of course). This record is a really great representation of the early ere and sounds quite a bit better than the lauded "Black Album" on Pye, compiled by Ray...just a recommendation for you LP lovers out there!

Karry on...

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No me too!

20. All Down The Line

Up on that riser Mick Avory looks Tiered And Waiting For Food!

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Did you purchase?

22. All Down The Line

In honour of this thread I played that ADAAOTN French EP this morning Mark.

23. All Down The Line

I wish I had never sold my identical Australian EP of this title!

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  24. All Down The Line

I like that pitch!

25. mark winstanley

Nice one... I'm rather inebriated at the moment lol