Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'm sinking into Dead world again right now, but I'm happily solidering on with 2011, so let's do this! :)

Currently deep into some FUNKY Wolfman's action on 7/1/11, Watkins Glen!

Set 1 of Superball is pretty unassuming - It never goes above and beyond, but - and it's a VERY BIG BUT - it hits the sweet spot throughout with terrifically tight playing (the norm for 2011 so far) with a couple nice rarities and absolutely stonkingly great Type 1 jamming when warranted.

If it's not exactly an ultra-memorable classic set, at least it knocks it out of the park while you are actually listening to it :)

Possum - opens the set and DESTROYS. Possum is always hot but this one has extra mustard on it. Terrific upbeat way to open the festival!
    Peaches En Regalia - basically a segue, it begins immediately out of possum and the guys nail it. I kept thinking they could sub in for Dweezil sometime if needed :p
    Moma Dance - FREAKING TIGHT AND GROOVY AND AWESOME.
    Torn and Frayed - not played since Festival 8
    NICU - Nothing special but very hot, Play it Leo!!!
    Bathtub Gin - Moma really got us dancing, but this is probably the first real jam of the set. 15 incredibly good Type 1.5 minutes. NOT TO BE MISSED!
    Life On Mars - Did NOT expect this! Crowd ate it up and Trey nailed it :)
    My Friend My Friend - Hot, duh
    Wolfman's Bro - JAM OF THE SET!!!! There have been a number of great jams so far but this one totally takes the cake. Spectacular funky explorations :)
    Roses are Free - the absolute perfect song choice to come out of that.

Very good stuff so far!

2. warewolf95

Set 1 of Superball ruled:

7/1 Watkins Glen - SUPERBALL
    Possum - NUCLEAR BOMB EXPLOSTION
    >Peaches En Regalia
    Moma Dance - Best version ever?!
    Torn and Frayed
    NICU - PLAY IT LEO!!!
    Bathtub Gin - OUT OF THIS WORLD SPECTACULAR TYPE 1
    Life On Mars
    My Friend My Friend
    Wolfman's Brother - 12 EXPLOSIVE MINUTES OF FUNKY RAGING!
    Roses are Free
    >Funky B - EXTRA HOT MUSTARD
    Quinn The Eskimo - MONSTER!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    adamos and johnnypaddock like this.
  3. warewolf95

7/1/11 Watkins Glen - Superball

Set 2:
    Ambient Jam intro>
    Crosseyed and Painless>
    short but sweet Type II excursion>
    Chalkdust Torture

That segue into CDT was smoother than glass

4. warewolf95

2011-07-01 Watkins Glen - Superball Night 1

Ok, so this show was excellent top to bottom, BUT, while it was great, it never reached ultra-memorable for me. It just didn't feel "special".
    It was just a really hot show without much mystery - the setlist pretty much tells you exactly how its gonna go, ya know what I mean?

Another objectively great show that left me feeling lacking, for want of a better term.

An amazing Phish show takes you on an adventure - this was just a nice sunday drive on a really hot day :D

It definitely gets the 'ol "**" hot show recommendation from me, but on the whole it was kinda....bland??? Not the right word.

You know what I mean. Awesome show, but on the whole probably just a good warmup for things to come :)

Gotta say - that Mike's Song>Simple>Type II>Bug was actually maybe the awesomest stuff of set 2. Never thought I'd say Bug was a highlight but this one was PERFECTLY placed coming out of that smooth Simple. And then it just EXPLODES!!!! Totally worth hearing.

Peace and love :)

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  5. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

trd, jewelsnbinoculars and warewolf95 like this.
  6. trd

trd Forum Resident

Interesting idea. I have the 1972 dark star the GD put out as a standalone LP release but not the 1974 Playin release. It’s a cool concept, I like it just fine but it’s a novelty and I’m more likely to want to listen to the whole show.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. warewolf95

An hour into night 2 of Superball - 7/2/11 and this show DEFINITELY has that Extra Mustard Sauce lacking from the first night.

I don't know what it is - it's just that intangible vibe. Some shows have "it" (no pun intended...) and other shows are just good shows.

That has "IT".

Crispy Rob, adamos and johnnypaddock like this.
  8. warewolf95

7/2/11 Superball

Still in set 1!!!

MONKEY MAN!!!!!!!!! Friggin' NAILED!!!

Suskind Hotel was spectacular as well :)

9. warewolf95

7/2/11 Superball

Set 2

More uneven than the first set, but that's barely saying anything considering the length of this show and pure number of songs played.

Also, Scents has the intro :D

trd likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Next LivePhish download: Phish - 6/19/95 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

This was one of several shows from that month that I had on an audience tape back then. I remember it had a great "Tela" and "Bowie." Looking at the blurb on their site reminded me that this was in the Dinner And A Movie series too.

11. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

I would have sworn this show was released previously since I have official FLAC files for it. Although it might be one of the shows I recorded from the webcasts last year. :shrug:

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

You would think the webcast shows all would've been released in conjunction with their streams. Glad this one is also becoming "official" :)

13. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

What 1.0 DAAM shows have yet to be released on LP audio? Is this it other than 5/1/89?

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I have this on pre-order via Music Direct. Missed it when it was released on the Phish site.

Oddly enough I never owned this one (only one, up to their Farmhouse release), even on CD. My friends all had it, so I never gotten around to get it.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday and trd like this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

They released two live LPs (parts of shows from the LivePhish series?) but I missed those. Not sure I would have purchased, but I didn't get the chance. (oh boo hoo hoo)

Do you know if it's advisable to pre-order A Live One 4 LP though Music Direct? It looks like they'll take my money, and I've heard more are coming soon, but what if they don't repress it? I just sent an email to Music Direct asking this same question. Not sure I wasn't to slap down 100 bucks if it ain't happening sometime soon.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  17. warewolf95

Ok, so I never gave my proper final thoughts on night 2 of Superball. Here we go:

7/2/11 Watkins Glen - Superball, night 2
    Officially the 2nd longest gig after Big Cypress

ON THE WHOLE:
    I feel like I wasn't blown away as much as I would've like :p It was certainly awesome from start to finish, but really, it often just felt like a lot of songs and nothing more :p
    That is ok, I'm the song guy - can't have a good jam without the launching pad! But for a "special" festival set it was definitely underwhelming.

Set 1 raged. Full stop fire from start to finish. It's set one so I'm not expecting much. Just great, stinking HOT rock and roll :)
    Set 2 was easily the least fulfilling of the three. It just felt more uneven, really.
    Set 3 was definitely the height of the jamming. There wasn't much Type II this show, but the short bits here and there, especially in set 3 were fantastic.

So, compared to the rest of 2011 I've heard so far, I'd rank this show very strong B+/A- . It WAS great but, c'mon, it shoulda been so much more. That's really the biggest complaint one can even really have with it. It definitely gets the ** rating from me (meaning one of the best of the year), but at the same time its at the bottom of that group so far.

It's hard to really judge it that well! It WAS extremely enjoyable for me, but for the length of the show, it felt way too shallow. Big Cypress is uber-length, but with all the jamming in that show to pad out the time it doesn't feel so long, lol, jah feel me broskee's?

Here's my notes of Superball night 2 :p

7/2 Watkins Glen** - SUPERBALL (Longest show besides Big Cypress. Not much Type II, but everything is played with EXTRA rocket sauce. The jamming, when it does happen, is GREAT. Set 3 is the BIZNESS)
    Tube (RAGING!)
    Kill Devil Falls (HOTTER THAN THE SUN!)
    Ocelot (SPECTACULARLY HOT!)
    Divided Sky (PERFECTION)
    Reggae Woman (Hot jamming!)
    Camel Walk
    46 Days (FACE MELTING DESTRUCTION!)
    Suskind Hotel (JAM OF THE SET FREAKING AWESOME!)
    Timber>
    Back on the Train
    Suzy Greenberg
    MONKEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Runaway Jim (5K Race awards!)
    McGrupp!!!
    Axilla
    Birds of a Feather
    Stash
    It's Ice
    Scents and Subtle Sounds (WITH INTRO!)
    Run Like an Antelope
    Golden Age (FINALLY SOME TYPE II!!)
    Prince Caspian (Long Type I!!!)
    >Piper (Type II rage)
    >Tweezer (Murky Type II madness)
    >Julius
    Number Line (Chill but gets cooking)
    Twist (Awesome Chill latin jamming!!! Dynamic!!)
    >2001 (AMAZING SEGUE INTO!)
    >Harry Hood
    Loving Cup
    >Tweeprize

18. warewolf95

7/2/11 Watkins Glen - Superball

SECRET AMBIENT SET

Ok, so I'm 36 minutes in. Took them a while to get going, but firmly around the 30 minute mark there is a terrific slow jam going on. Sounds like it could've morphed out of a No Quarter performance.

But really, I'm not gonna try and commentate on this friggin' set. When they hit a stride it's excellent :)

johnnypaddock, adamos and trd like this.
  19. warewolf95

7/3/11 Watkins Glen - Superball

About an hour into set 1 of the night. First off, check out this old-school-ass setlist!!!!

So far:

Soul Shakedown Party
    AC/DC Bag>
    The Curtain (exceptional w/o version!)
    Colonel Forbin>
    Storage Unity Reality Narration>
    Fly Famous Mockingbird
    Destiny Unbound (Sick jamming!!!)>
    Big Black Furry Creature From Mars
    Wilson
    Mound

I mean, dude. :p

Playing wise, it's been a mixed bag, but the setlist effort exceeds any complaints I have about "oh that was good but nothing special" :p

Billy_Sunday, trd and adamos like this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

She’s not wrong!

adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  22. warewolf95

Not to sound creepy or cringy, but those 2 nights in Charleston in 2019, there were legit hotties all over. And what was crazier was they were actual fans and into the music. Not what I expected but extremely enjoyable :D :p

I mean, there were just as many women as men, imo. Funny meme though :)

Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  23. warewolf95

7/3/11 Watkins Glen - Superball

Gettin' tasty jamming in unexpected places tonight! No, not type II yet, but definitely "ooh that's different" type I stuff :)

Check out the Destiny Unbound, Wilson and Mound for the goods in set I!!!

EDIT - more to come. Thought the set was nearing the end but I've still got a Reba AND a Bowie to get through :D

adamos likes this.
  24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Card carrying member :)

Billy_Sunday, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  25. trd

trd Forum Resident

One of the best thing to happen to the scene in 3.0 has been the return of high quality LSD. Much better vibe amongst the crowd. All of us being 15 years older doesn’t hurt either.

Billy_Sunday, warewolf95 and adamos like this.