Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

But in the last few years, most of the companies that made those players either stopped supporting SACD or stopped making Blu-ray players entirely. I believe the only Blu-Ray players with SACD playback still being manufactured for sale in the US are the five Sony models priced at $249.99 or higher on this page: Top 4K & Smart Blu-ray Players | Sony US

Edit: Actually, it looks like there’s a new brand coming soon: https://www.reavon.com/ They appear to be staking out the territory abandoned by Oppo!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Panasonic 4k players support DSD file playback. It might not be SACD exactly, but if you have SACD rips or DSF files, Panasonic 4k players will work.

Mr.eMO and formu_la like this.
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This player also has SACD playback and is only 99 dollars.
    Sony Blu-ray Disc Player with 4K upscaling

4. So did the Animals SACD ever happen?

I never got my Dark Side re-release SACD that I ordered. I assume that release bit the dust.

5. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

No

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

No it didn't. But people on this thread are Floyd lunatics who still believe that will come out at some point :D

Hattipper, JulesRules and PDK like this.
  7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

We've always been mad, we know we've been mad, like the most of us have. Very hard to explain why we're mad, even if we're not mad...

klockwerk, Devin, JulesRules and 7 others like this.
  8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

IFTFY

Got to keep the loonies on the path...

9. mc9

mc9 Forum Resident

There were a lot of problems with the Pink Floyd Early Years boxset BRs as well. Directly after release several of the bonus Blu Rays had to be replaced due to a production failure. Then, two years ago there was anoother replacement program involving al the Blu Rays in the Early Years set, as they started to form blisters and became unreadable (EU produced only).

Hattipper likes this.
  10. DownToTheMoon

DownToTheMoon New Member

Well the new mixes of DSOT and Live at Pompeii are mixed with the treble far too high,. All I hear is hi-hat and cymbals, guess Andy Jacksons ability to hear high frequencys are going and Gilmours aswell . I understand that Roger want Guthrie to mix instead

RangerXT and jonnyslb like this.
  11. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I absolutely agree with you on that! I like the new mix DSOT with the exception of the Money and ABITW edit, but high frequencies are extremely high, a balance with the old mix and this new one would be a better option. Anyway, since the beginning I would appreciate James Guthrie doing new mixes and 5.1 mixes, he is more loyal to the feeling of the records than Andy Jackson.

RangerXT likes this.
  12. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

Guthrie's 5.1 mixes sound great, but I find the surround effect to be sort of 'homogeneous'--like you can tell there's music in all five speakers, but there's little difference between the front and back pairs. He only seems to get adventurous with sound effects, like the cash registers in "Money" or radio at the beginning of "Wish You Were Here". I much prefer Jackson's 'center of the band' approach to mixing in surround (his 5.1's of The Division Bell and Gilmour's Rattle That Lock are among the best I've heard), but the last few titles he's worked on miss the mark sonically. If you could somehow merge Guthrie's sonics with Jackson's instrument placements, that would be the ultimate Floyd surround mix.

jamesc, RangerXT, JulesRules and 7 others like this.
  13. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Same with his Obscured by Clouds remix.

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

DSOT remix is nowhere near the earsplitting amounts of treble that OBC and Pompei is. I am still certain that OBC and Pompei is a mastering error. They dialed in a sound, accidently hit a knob/the mouse slipped in the eq plugin or whatever etc... ran the master, and then didn’t check afterwards. Perhaps someone checked the pre-emphasis box by accident but not the metadata box. Or they had multiple versions and simply delivered the wrong one. Errors happen.

I did make my own listenable re-master of pompei by using a dynamic eq plugin.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Still waiting for an official vinyl version of Pompei. I guess it will come after Animals 5.1...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    PDK, NunoBento and boggs like this.
  16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There’s a reason why Pompeii was never supposed to be in the Early Years box and I’m convinced this is it.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

That does not explain OBC however.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I want that quad mix so badly. I take it this is because Adrian Maben owns the rights that we can't get a proper Pompeii release?

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

This may be outside of the scope of this thread, but I'd be interested to hear what you did.

20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m fine with the old Pompeii version circulated by Harvested. Much of TEY isn’t as good as what was already freely available.

RAZORMADE and rontoon like this.
  21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

With regard to quality control, James Guthrie checks all international pressings before signing off on their release!

[Edit] The ones he is responsible for, that is.

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have never heard about Adrian having any problem with reissuing Pompeii.

I seem to remember reading (in Glenn Povey's In The Flesh) that when the Directors Cut was released they had hoped to get a 5.1 mix done but it could not be done in time for the release.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Statements like this make no sense to me. It’s not like there was some expiration date on the Pompeii Director's Cut. If they thought it was important to do, there was no rush.
    Of course, the thing that needed more time on the DC was to painstakingly remove all the new CGI scenes.

hi_watt, RAZORMADE, rontoon and 2 others like this.
  24. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Keep it short, the news on Animals in 5.1 is coming so thick and fast that it would be a pity if it were covered by off-topic posts.

jamesc, hi_watt, mcallister and 2 others like this.
  25. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I don't know why the Floyd camp doesn't just issue a Pompeii box with all the different cuts of the film on blu ray with 5.1 mixes. It would definitely sell.

NunoBento, zinan, Crungy and 3 others like this.