Velvet Underground 2021 releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hallucalation, Mar 18, 2021.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

No more obscure than anything else they were doing!

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

They did complete it. Sterling Morrison has stated that it exists, but that they could not use it on the 1980s compilations due to tape-damage. He told UMG that the instrumental version existed and hence they found the tape of that and used it instead.

When I hear the track as performed on this newly found recording, I hear something of the instant pop songs Reed was writing and recording for Pickwick. So, maybe he wrote it specifically to appeal.

Maggie, Hep Alien, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Were there TVs in '67 with headphone jacks? If so, then yeah, that could produce this recording. But every recorded-from-TV-speakers-in-the-60s recording I've heard sound exactly like it was recorded from TV speakers in the 60s. This does not sound like that.

No, I don't think it's faked to sound like the show. Just saying we can't be sure that someone didn't edit that applause on. I'm coming from being a big Syd-era Pink Floyd collector and people were always doing stuff like that. A number of fakes were made. But no, I don't think that was done here and I do believe that this is likely the VU on Upbeat. It does seem like a purposely shortened version of the song and the applause sounds right. And I think Lou was trying to be controversial by saying speed freak on TV. But no one cared because they were the VU on Upbeat, not The Doors on Sullivan.

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

What's the details on knowing they don't have the Chelsea Girls master? I hadn't heard that. Do you mean the multi-tracks or mix down masters?

DTK likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

I assume if the multis were still available, we would have gotten a remix without the flute!

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sorry - to be accurate they don't have the multitracks. I asked Bill Levenson.

RAZORMADE, Rob Byrne, DTK and 4 others like this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I see. That's a shame but I guess to be expected since the VU & Nico multis don't exist either. Do they exist for WL/WH? They obviously do for the outtakes. Loaded was the only album they remixed so I wonder if it's the only one where the multis exist?

Ern and mr.datsun like this.
  8. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

Moe Tucker’s a Facebook friend, I’ll ask her about this clip.

Hep Alien, mr.datsun and DTK like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I didn't know that. So somewhere in the vaults there's a studio version with vocals...wow.

astro70 likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, I found an interview a few months back maybe last year, but I didn’t bookmark it and now cannot find it to corroborate this information. I wonder how bad the damage is and whether they’d perhaps have another think about releasing it.

rnranimal and DTK like this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Unfortunately, I think the fact that they didn't use it on the WL/WH 45th doesn't give much hope. Those sets put out material under the 50 year copyright window and also, the WL/WH package was so skimpy they were splitting up The Gift's channels into separate tracks to try and make it look like more material. Those were two big reasons to use it if it were usable.

Maggie and mr.datsun like this.
  12. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I would have thought the deluxe versions of the albums would have covered everything they did ?

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There were a couple of untitled recordings on the white light sessions not used. Two session on Here She Comes Now - which might mean nothing but might mean there's another version

The Velvet Underground
    Maureen Tucker, percussion; Lou Reed, vocals, lead guitar, piano; Sterling Morrison, vocals, guitar, bass guitar; John Cale, vocals, electric viola, organ, bass guitar.

NYC, September 25, 1967

103536 The Gift Verve V/V6-5046
    103537 Here She Comes Now -
    103538 unknown title unissued
    103539 Sister Ray Verve V/V6-5046
    103540 Lady Godiva's Operation -
    103541 White Light/White Heat Verve VK-10560, V/V6-5046, V6-653-2
    103542 unknown title unissued?
    103543 - -
    103544 - -
    103545 I Heard Her Call My Name Verve V/V6-5046, V6-653-2
    103546 Here She Comes Now Verve VK-10560

I also checked Nico and there were no unused recordings listed. You can search for Nico on this page:

Verve Records Discography: 1967

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're probably right. One thing in our favour generally, is that now Lou Reed is not involved in deciding what gets released.

FuturisticWorkshop and rnranimal like this.
  15. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

When I listen to the demo for Here She Comes Now, and the hear how they were able to transform it into such a great recording for the album, it really makes me wish they had tried all of those demos in the studio.
    Someone made a big mistake not granting the VU unlimited studio time.

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Would have been nice to hear them all recorded during the WLWH sessions period. I love those demos and wish there were more.

Syscrusher likes this.
  17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I love them too. And Here She comes sounds like the least interesting of the demos (or maybe second least), so go figure. I imagine that was due to Cale’s influence, to go with the more shocking lyrical song.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I can hear the drums (and what sounds like muted bass locked in with the drums) on the 'Upbeat' recording - especially during the guitar solo. The thuds of the drums are very evident. It's definitely a different recording than earlier recorded attributions of the song to Upbeat. Sounds like it's clean enough to fit the bill for the TV show - an energetic beat-combo workout. Kids seem to dig it. Too bad there's not film/video footage of the event.

19. arkin

arkin Active Member

I can't imagine there's a whole lot left to hear, though when they did the 45th anniversary Loaded box set a few years ago, they didn't include the bonus material on vinyl, which was a little bit of a drag. I always preferred the Peel Slowly & See version of "Ocean" to the one on VU

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I imagine Lou held sway on what song to perform.

21. Southsideryan

Southsideryan Well-Known Member

First album demos seem to be discovered

DTK, RAZORMADE, asdf35 and 5 others like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

Very exciting! A demo of Ocean turned up a while ago. Its run time matches the one on the list shown in that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkE_VAs6qMo

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  23. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

pretty cool! i wonder how much Adams got for them, or how much the collector got....and if this will outsell the original album.

Rupe33 likes this.
  24. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

This tape needs an official release

DTK and RAZORMADE like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wow - great performances and great quality. Yes please release this.

Rupe33 likes this.