Yoko Ono material on Plastic Ono Band box BluRay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought it worthwhile to create a space devoted to discussing this apart from the mega thread on the box as a whole. I haven't heard it yet myself, as while I am quite interested in it, I don't know that I am interested enough to buy the whole box just for this - as for the Lennon tracks I am pretty content with the album versions and available alternate versions (which have not left me wanting more alternates).

But I'd love to learn more about the Yoko content to perhaps consider if it warrants the purchase.

If your goal is bashing Yoko's vocals, perhaps consider posting that in the main thread on the box instead. Though if you dislike them to the extent that you would like to sell this BluRay and keep the rest of the box, please PM me so we can discuss an arrangement that would be mutually beneficial.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I wish this was sold separately...

3. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I do too because I would buy it. I want to put it on my iPhone but with it being a Blu Ray exclusive I can't.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I second that!

RAZORMADE likes this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'd buy a Yoko POB box set.

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

frightwigwam and Shawn like this.
  7. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

These streaming links are for the actual album (with a few bonus tracks). The new POB box set presents much, much more...almost 2 hours of the complete, unedited jams

8. Rfreeman

Would love if anyone who has it could attempt to describe its contents in detail.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm surprised that Sean didn't decide to make this material more accessible. It would be cool if a separate streaming/download release could be put out for the the "Live Sessions."

10. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

I've only listened to Why ...and a bit of Why Not. I plan to dive in later today. The trio of John Ringo and Klaus chat a bit, then experiment with different grooves. In "Why" Yoko joins in after five minutes or so

Shawn, frightwigwam and Rfreeman like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Very cool there is all that extra jam at the start of Why - my favorite track on that album and something even those who can't abide Yoko would likely celebrate

Michael Macrone, fishcane and Shawn like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

So would I.

13. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

I'm loving the extra YO/POB material. It's all very good. Apparently there's some question about the rights that has it buried on the Blu Ray - not the quality. The tunes greatly expand the experience, though not necessarily the impact: the added material isn't crazy unfinished experiments but coherent jams that place the 'tunes' in context. On Why, for example, the lengthy intro builds organically to Yoko's entrance, rather than exploding out of the gate like the master take edit does. I'd say the original album edits are more 'in you face' than these sprawling jams, which develop organically.

Yoko Ono / Plastic Ono Band / The Live Studio Sessions – What’s The Difference?

14. Rfreeman

Wonderful write up at that link - thanks for sharing. And also appreciate your comments.

15. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

From the liner notes:
    "The first twelve minutes of "WhyNot" are structured around a simple blues groove played by Ringo and klaus, over which John's guitar and yoko's wordless vocalisations interact. The piece then moves into a less formally structured and more complex avant-garde section.

Ringo maintains a steady rhythm while John and klaus begin to play sounds on their instruments (rather than notes and melodies) with Yoko continuing to lead with wild vocalisations until around sixteen minutes at which point the groove begins to disappear into a-tempo drum fills. After a short pause, Ringo brings the groove back together introducing wild stabs from Klaus over John's rhythmic guitar through to the end."

Shawn, frightwigwam and Rfreeman like this.
  16. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Uuuugggghhhhh really want this. I don't care at all about take 42 of "Look at Me" or a disc of crappy remixes of an originally perfect mix.

Should I buy the set just for this?

RAZORMADE, Natural E and Rfreeman like this.
  17. For what it’s worth I did. My copy hasn’t arrived yet so I can’t comment on the audio.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

best (most effective) alarm clock ever

Doggiedogma and supermd like this.
  19. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

The set is packed with all sorts of interesting items. I really like the element mixes and the evolution mixes. But for me, so far, the Yoko jams are an absolute highlight

20. Rfreeman

Decision made even harder by the fact that the material that is most interesting to me is locked on a BluRay where I can only listen to it in one room in my house and not on the go.

Fortunately it will certainly get liberated by others and wind up on YouTube

boggs likes this.
  21. It’s not that tough to rip audio from a Blu-Ray disc.

ARK, JakeM, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There's over nine hours of music on the Blu-rays. You could ignore a fair amount and still find a lot to enjoy.

MattyRedSox and supermd like this.
  24. Rfreeman

I'd have to buy a computer with a BR drive to start - so hard pass

25. Tetherwald

Tetherwald Forum Resident

I was ten when I purchased the Cold Turkey single. Having no idea what heroin withdrawal was, I wondered why John was singing with so much anguish about Thanksgiving leftovers, but it seemed to fit his nonsensical lyrical style (like I Am The Walrus), so it didn’t really bother me.

I was alone in the basement where the family record player was, and after a few spins of the Lennon side, I flipped it over to hear my first-ever Yoko. The initial scream scared the hell out of me, and I quickly turned off the record player and tore upstairs and awaited my family’s return. Too many viewings of HG Wells Time Machine movie had me convinced that we must have Morlocks in the basement waiting to eat me in the dark, and Yoko’s scream didn’t help any.

So when Yoko’s POB came out, I found it in another town a few months after John’s POB. I tentatively bought it, and was sorely disappointed – just more noise. But over the years, and many listens, I grew to LOVE the album. Clearly it was the same band as on John’s, and the experimental nature gradually came to impress me tremendously in my later teens. Similarly, Bitches Brew is my favorite Miles album: creative noise at its finest.

A big part of my OCD involves listening to box sets chronologically in the order they were recorded. So it took some time to get all the POB sessions organized, and even then, I started listening with October 10 since the Yoko sessions were the greatest trove of heretofore unheard tracks. I’m only partway through it, and loving every minute.

One thing that always bothered me was that even though Klaus is playing what appears to be an 8-beat repeating bass line on Why, he sometimes dropped multiple notes from the pattern. I could not believe that such an accomplished musician would do that. Now we know why: sloppy editing on the original release. Klaus really did play the 8 beats consistently, which we got a hint of in the 8-minute extended Chimera Music POB album.

If licensing issues really are the reason we got these relegated to the BluRay only, it’s a real shame we may never see a similar release of Fly. Those sessions are equally deserving of the royal treatment we got here. Yoko/Chimera: Please release Fly!

I’m sure John’s outtakes are good too, but I’m too caught up in Yoko heaven to check them out yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.