Yoko Ono material on Plastic Ono Band box BluRay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’d love to hear this but don’t have a Blu Ray player. I’d buy a standalone release in a heartbeat

ralphb likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Completely uninterested in the rest of the set, so yeah, I'd buy the Yoko stuff as a standalone without hesitation.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Or you can just buy an external BD drive for less than $100 and add it to pretty much any computer.

But it’s easier and cheaper to just complain I suppose.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

Or to wait for someone to upload it to YouTube. Since I also don't really feel like spending $150 on a box that I only really want to hear 10% of plus $100 on a BR drive to let me hear it outside my living room

MattyRedSox and ralphb like this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Cool. A baseless complaint about not being able to unlock the content you want wrapped in a complaint about having to pay too much for the content you want - but had no intention of buying because you can get lossy low bit rate versions for free.

Jack, noname74 and ConnieGuitar like this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

7. Rfreeman

If they would sell it on a CD for a standard price I would buy it. As would most in this thread.

8. Rfreeman

2 CD set for $30 would be an instant purchase. If it would cost me $250 to get it and unlock it from BluRay I will make do with what I can check out legally for free - and feel no guilt about it.

9. Unless the streams are posted by the label, they're illegal streams that you'd be listening to. Make of that what you will.

10. Rfreeman

If I even post a cover of someone else's music on YouTube - 90% of the time in under a second I get a notice that there is a copyright claim by the composer(s) and it can only stay up if I let the rights holders "monetize it" (that is, get the rights holder's share of the ad revenue from it). Once that happens it is completely legal for the clip to stream there. It is an automated process.

Of course the rights holders can set it up so they opt to have it taken down instead. But that has not happened once in the hundreds of covers I have uploaded. They always opt to allow them to stay up and take the revenue.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    somnar likes this.
  11. Aren't cover versions treated differently than official versions in that regard? Otherwise I'll go post the entire Beatle catalog and will be back in a couple hours...

12. Rfreeman

They may be more likely to opt to have the original recordings taken down than to do that with cover versions - but it is their choice. They only stay up if the rights holders allow it in exchange for getting the revenue. There is no way that the software that identifies cover versions of Beatles tunes can't identify the Beatles' original recordings of those same tunes.

And at times the Beatles have opted to have such posts taken down. But far from all the time and very few others do.

Shawn likes this.
  13. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

This Yoko studio session is a goldmine. Touch Me is a criminally underappreciated piece of music. Wish it was much more widely available so more folks can hear how genius this is. Two q’s I have: 1) was the tanpura loop part of the live session itself with Yoko singing over it or was it newly overdubbed into this box set version? 2) if the actual order of the tracks (per the box set book) during the Oct 10th live session was Why/Touch Me/Why Not/Paper Shoes/Greenfield Morning, why were those songs rearranged only for the reason of replicating the sequence of the original 1970 album? I’d rather have heard it the way it was performed in the studio- if the point was to replicate the live experience, what’s the point in reordering the tracks performed?

14. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

This thread has made me blast my rykodisc cd tonight

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

16. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

You mean “Cold turkey has got me on the run” isn’t about getting Staphylococcus from leaving out poultry at room temperature for too long? :yikes:

17. Junkstar

Junkstar Forum Resident

This is in no way related to her singing, but are there backing tracks from her POB album/sessions? I'm a bit of a backing track obsessive.

18. Rfreeman

It would be interesting to know (especially to folks who do not love Yoko) if the tracks are presented in 5.1 in a way that Yoko has a discrete channel which one could avoid listening to, essentially creating a backing track.

19. solent

solent Forum Resident

We know ‘Greenfield’ was the last track recorded. Anyone any ideas where the 3 bonus tracks fit in the recording session? (We know the correct order of the previously released tracks since they are listed in recording order in the book.)

psychedeliceddie likes this.
  20. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

They are not in 5.1 ...just stereo

MattyRedSox likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Thanks

22. solent

solent Forum Resident

23. solent

solent Forum Resident

Ringo’s drumming on the unedited ‘Kyoko’ is impressive. I always wondered why Yoko didn’t sing “mummy’s only looking for a hand in the snow” on the studio cut since she did it effectively at Toronto. We now know she did in fact sing it twice but it happened in the first part of the take which was shaved off to create the B-side .

MattyRedSox and Shawn like this.
  24. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

I can see what you're hinting at, but this would effectively be missing the point. In Why, for instance, Yoko's voice and John's guitar are having a screaming dialogue and the clue of it all would bypass you completely if you were to hear only one side of the conversation.
    As it is, there is only a stereo mix of the live sessions, so there is no danger of the above scenario happening by mistake ;-) .

It is not entirely unthinkable that the wealth of material now made available exclusively on the blu-ray discs (110 minutes of fascinating, at times riveting listening) may end up on a 3 disc vinyl set at some point in the future.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That would be awesome, but the one article above mentions "At present, the new mixes of YO/POB are only available on the Blu-rays in the “Ultimate Collection” box set, due to licensing issues..."

I wonder if the "licensing issues" are something that can be resolved?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.