Velvet Underground 2021 releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hallucalation, Mar 18, 2021.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

One of the tracks was released on the Dispatches From The Dream Factory 3CD set. 'Here Comes The Waves'.

2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Sounds like Hangin Round and Perfect Day might be what was on the Transformer 2002 remaster but I haven't gotten it out yet to directly compare.

Southsideryan and mr.datsun like this.
  3. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

I think so,both sound the same but the lenght is different

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I just went to compare and the video was removed. Damn. I hadn't downloaded it yet. I snoozed.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was thinking along the same lines. All three very good and well-recorded demos. Love to hear the rest properly.

RAZORMADE and Southsideryan like this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

This is the type of thing that needs a release but is more likely to languish in limbo.

However, it begs the question of where did they get the 2 tracks they used for Transformer and did they have access to the rest then? If so, they've already passed on releasing this. Hopefully they reconsider that.

They could do a really wonderful 2CD deluxe of the debut. Remix the main album to fix the Dolby issue (assuming the tapes exist), add in the single mixes and these demo reels.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yep. Someone else's got a copy of this tape. It was used on the Japanese boot and looks like the Transformer reissue, too.

Reed couldn't fix the Dolby thing, so not sure anyone else can. Never understood this. Just get the right Dolby decoder in the studio when you remaster it. Someone! But who actually said it was about Dolby anyway?

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  8. Southsideryan

Southsideryan Well-Known Member

i thought Lou was able to fix it for a track or two from the record when he put out the Between Thought and Expression box set

mr.datsun likes this.
  9. Southsideryan

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well he supposedly attended to the solo album remasters program himself and from what everyone seems to say was unable to fix it for the rest of the album. But who knows?

11. PES

PES Forum Resident

Excuse this minor WTF, but in looking over the Lou Reed papers link, I see a reference to a Lou Reed / John Cale "Men of Good Fortune" demo from 1965. Is that Berlin's "Men of Good Fortune"? You're telling me that Lou was pulling eight year old material to construct that album? I know "Berlin" first showed up on Lou Reed, but I had never heard a whisper about even older material being utilized. Some knowledgable Hoffman Forum member needs to provide some details on this.

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Before the video was taken down, the uploader posted in the comments that there was some contact between Reed's estate/Sony about a "prompt" (his word) release.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Im not sure its the same tape. The Robinson apartment tapes are not good quality - if that’s the ones you are referring to.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I heard it was nothing like the Berlin song

Southsideryan likes this.
  15. Southsideryan

yea it’s tru
    I was referring to the link above the Robinson’s tape!

16. Southsideryan

Ride Sally Ride was also allegedly demoed by the velvets

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It can't be fixed in mastering. The issue happened at mixing so is baked into the mix. The different single mixes do not suffer from this issue and so it is assumed the multitracks are safe from the issue and could be used to remix the album without the issue. This assumes they still exist.

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

On the box set tracks, they used EQ and added a touch of reverb to mask the Dolby issue and improve the sound but can't actually fix it. The links are all dead, but I replicated this pretty much perfectly by EQing and adding reverb to one of the album CD releases and posted it here in another Lou thread. I wish I had kept my files.

19. Southsideryan

Ah damn would’ve been cool to hear!

ExHead and rnranimal like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, I did it as a test on a couple tracks but wish I had processed the whole album and kept it. Might be something I revisit.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok. I don't find the list very clearly formatted. The list of songs above where is says 'Robinson's Apartment' – isn't that description applying to those songs? Anyway the tape on youtube seemed to be another set of songs, doesn't it? I've heard two sets of songs from this point in time and they both sound quite poor and neither had the Here Come The Waves that is on the Dispatches boot...

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

That would be nice to hear, if you ever get time.

rnranimal likes this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wow, what a great performance. Hearing it in stark demo form like this reveals what a powerful song it is.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Those tracks had some added reverb and some boosted highs, i think. So, it was "fixed", but the actual problem was not solved.

Anyway, i think they sounded pretty good.

Of course, that album needs a remix.

25. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

Well, there is the VU version of Sad Song and of course Caroline Says 2 is a re-written Stephanie Says.

Hep Alien and millbend like this.