Laura Nyro "American Dreamer" (8LP Box Set w/ Book and LP of rarities) (08/06/2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 27, 2021.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The first I heard of this was when I received today's daily deal from Pop Market:

Laura Nyro American Dreamer (8LP Box Set w/ Book) [Import] on PopMarket

Laura Nyro - American Dreamer, an 8LP Deluxe Vinyl Box Set housing 7 of Laura's breathtaking original albums from 1967 - 1978, all remastered especially for these vinyl editions - More Than A New Discovery, Eli And The Thirteenth Confession, New York Tendaberry, Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat, Gonna Take Miracle, Smile & Nested alongside an original LP of Rarities And Live Recordings. Housed in a stunning book-shelf slipcase box set that includes a 36-page 12" book with extensive liner notes from renowned author Peter Doggett, and features rare photographs, and interviews with Todd Rundgren, Charlie Callelo, Herb Bernstein and many more.

Here's the track listing for the "rarities LP":

1 Stoney End (Single Version) (Mono Version)
    2 Lu (Demo)
    3 Stoned Soul Picnic (Demo)
    4 Emmie (Demo)
    5 Eli's Comin' (Single Version) (Mono Version)
    6 Save the Country (Single Version)
    7 In the Country Way (Album Version)
    8 Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing (Recorded Live 30 May 1971, Fillmore East, USA)
    9 (You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman (Recorded Live 30 May 1971, Fillmore East, USA)
    10 O-O-H Child (Recorded Live 30 May 1971, Fillmore East, USA)
    11 Up on the Roof (Recorded Live 30 May 1971, Fillmore East, USA)
    12 Someone Loves You (Demo)
    13 Get Off My Cap (Demo)
    14 Coffee Morning (Demo)
    15 Medley - Emily-Nested (Live)

2. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Came to the forum looking for info on this. I almost hit purchase, but then I thought - "wait, is this digital?" It says they're "all remastered especially for these vinyl editions" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's analog.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Looks amazing.

Quality of the sources, mastering, and pressing will be crucial.

hi_watt and tug_of_war like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

It's sort of strange they didn't just include the last two studio albums in the box. Though maybe they will release a second box to include "Mother's Spiritual", "Walk The Dog..." and the posthumous album "Angel In The Dark" as a double-LP (probably not, but I can dream, right?)!

audiotom, Jarleboy and tug_of_war like this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Hmm...sort of a missed opportunity to re-release "New York Tendaberry" with the rare cover. I love that picture so much!
    Anyway, I hope they took good care of the mastering. Maybe it's a chance to hear "More Than A New Discovery" and "Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat" without the distortion.
    By the way, is it the original stereo mix of "More Than A New Discovery" or the 1969 Columbia remix?

Having said all that, this box sets looks beautiful and is a welcome release regardless of my remarks and questions...

6. pghmusiclover

Here's a little promo video:

peter, lennonfan1, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  7. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Madfish is a division of Snapper Music
    Snapper Music Ltd.
    1st Floor
    52 Lisson Street
    London NW1 5DF
    tel: +44 (0)20 7563 5500

Found the number of Madfish, who is releasing this. Anyone willing to give them a call and get some details?

8. pghmusiclover

Here's their website, which contains info for their social media links:

Madfish

9. dna3003

dna3003 Forum Resident

10. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I replied to their youtube video, messaged them on facebook, and messaged them on their website. I doubt I'll get a response. I don't understand how these Popmarket daily deals work - how much does the price go up after today?

11. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Isn't the distortion part of the mix? If I recall correctly, the distortion on "Stoney End" was present when our host mastered it on the Time and Love compilation. It was also present when Kevin Gray mastered the LP version of The First Songs. Judging from the promo video posted, it looks like they'll be using the mono mix for More Than a New Discovery.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Weird, mine's $217.08 with shipping. Still cheaper than Popmarket, though.

13. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

CD or digital, please.

14. tug_of_war

It's probably on the multi-tracks. In this case, there's nothing the mastering engineers can do, I assume.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Even more, this would have been the perfect occasion to do Season of Lights as the original double LP, since it would fit the chronology.

Bassist, zebop, Panama Hotel and 8 others like this.
  16. coltranes

coltranes Forum Resident

I was so pleased by the Analog Spark and Pure Pleasure treatments of albums 2 to 4, is it too much to hope that the same care will have been applied here?

bluemooze and tug_of_war like this.
  17. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

The mono mix and the original stereo mix of More Than a New Discovery are free of any distortion, so it's not on the multi-track tapes. I'm guessing the stereo remix was rushed and was poorly done, which is unfortunate. Check out the mono mix of "Stoney End" below, which is cool to hear without all the reverb and distortion in the stereo remix.

18. tug_of_war

Wow! I really must give this mono mix a chance! Never thought I would hear this track with such a clean sound!

snkcube likes this.
  19. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Interesting. I like the stereo a lot better. The mono sounds sparse and dry. Maybe I should just get the box set not knowing if it's all-analog considering how much I like the digital tampering!

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I would LOVE to see Walk The Dog And Light The Light on vinyl. I have everything else. Yes - the box set &&would be cool for sure. I do not believe Walk The Dog ever saw the light of day on vinyl. Is that correct?

Bob J likes this.
  21. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Was really hoping at some point theyd have released a vinyl version of the Fillmore East show. A few of the tracks are on the bonus disc, perhaps the entire thing might see a future RSD release.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  22. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Not sure off hand, but i think all the tracks on the rarities disc are available as bonus tracks on various album remasters and the fillmore release. Not especially rare.

With that said, new Laura Nyro releases are always a good thing, as it means something more substantial might happen down the line. Like many here, a purchase (especially as I already have multiple copies of all of these) will come down to the mastering.

23. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Yep, the rarities tracks here have all been released before as bonus tracks on earlier reissues, nothing new here at all, ugh... A wasted opportunity to release the New York Tendaberry alt cover, and all the other truly rare 45 alt mixes...

phillyal1, DirkM and Cokelike- like this.
  24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

When I saw the title, I started to panic..."Why not a CD release?!?!" After seeing the track listing, I feel a lot better about passing on this one. It looks beautiful for vinyl fans, but I'm still hoping against hope for a proper Nyro CD boxset of rarities, outtakes, etc. Surely there are more surviving Eli demos than the three that we got nearly 20 years ago, not to mention anything else that might be in the vault. Heck, a complete mono singles collection would be a worthy companion to the fantastic mono albums set.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yawn on rarities. Miracle could use a new coat of paint, tho.
    Now that we have a fabulous 1st lp in mono on cd along with the singles and Steve's wonderful Eli, it's gonna be hard to get me to spring for something like this.
    Wonder if they use the UK back cover of Eli?