2021 - Movie Hits & Bombs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Might as well get a thread started as the industry starts to ramp up their release schedule and theatres start re-opening en-masse (not in Canada though but that's another story....).

Hollywood Reporter story on the glut of films headed our way, basically jamming two years of releases into one.

Coming Soon to Theaters: "Traffic Jam on a Box Office Superhighway"

Studios’ delayed, action-oriented features are set to debut within weeks of one another later this year, worrying executives: "The fall is really scary, there is no oxygen."

The latter half of September is historically a sleepy corridor at the box office as the summer tentpoles finish their runs and go home. Not this year.

The weekend of Sept. 24-26, for example, symbolizes Hollywood’s mad dash to release the films that were waylaid by the COVID-19 pandemic. Set to open that weekend are no fewer than four high-profile titles: Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage, the Sopranos origins pic The Many Saints of Newark, the teen musical Dear Evan Hansen, and Antoine Fuqua’s sci-fi adventure Infinite, starring Mark Wahlberg and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Venom 2 and Infinite are part of an action genre glut that lasts all through October. Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic Dune launches a week later, on Oct. 1, followed by the James Bond installment No Time to Die on Oct. 8. While technically a horror film, Halloween Kills also is considered part action, while the title of Ridley Scott’s historical drama, The Last Duel, starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck, says it all. Both of those male-skewing titles unfurl on the big screen Oct. 15.

“The long-reaching impact of the pandemic on the release calendar is now resulting in a traffic jam on the box office superhighway,” says Comscore analyst Paul Dergarabedian. “It’s a bevy of riches, I guess.”

Tentpole anchors in the fall and early winter include No Time to Die and Top Gun: Maverick closer to Thanksgiving.

Adds a studio executive, who predicts more changes due to the pileup: “We’re squeezing two years into one. The fall is really scary. There is no oxygen. You normally wouldn’t have so many action films all at once, even if some cross over to other audiences.”

more in the link

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Deuce66

The current release calendar for the USA. Subject to change.

IMDb: Upcoming Releases for United States - IMDb

23 April 2021
    Mortal Kombat (2021)
    Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train (2020)
    Bloodthirsty (2020)

30 April 2021
    Separation (2021)
    Limbo (2020)
    About Endlessness (2019)
    The Virtuoso (2021)

07 May 2021
    Wrath of Man (2021)
    Mainstream (2020)
    The Water Man (2020)
    The Paper Tigers (2020)
    The Unthinkable (2018)

14 May 2021
    Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021)
    Spiral (2021)
    Above Suspicion (2019)
    Finding You (2021)
    Profile (2018)
    The Killing of Two Lovers (2020)

21 May 2021
    Riders of Justice (2020)
    The Dry (2020)
    New Order (2020)

28 May 2021
    Cruella (2021)
    A Quiet Place Part II (2020)
    Endangered Species (2021)

04 June 2021
    The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)
    Flashback (2020)
    Samaritan (2021)
    Under the Stadium Lights (2021)
    Spirit Untamed (2021)
    Vivo (2021)

11 June 2021
    In the Heights (2021)

16 June 2021
    The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (2021)

18 June 2021
    Peter Rabbit 2: the Runaway (2021)
    The Serpent (2020)
    12 Mighty Orphans (2021)
    Summer of 85 (2020)

25 June 2021
    F9 (2021)
    30 June 2021
    Zola (2020)

02 July 2021
    The Forever Purge (2021)

09 July 2021
    Black Widow (2021)
    The Little Mermaid (2021)

16 July 2021
    Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021)
    Cinderella (2021)
    The Night House (2020)

23 July 2021
    Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021)
    Hotel Transylvania: Transformania (2021)
    Old (2021)

30 July 2021
    The Green Knight (2021)
    Jungle Cruise (2021)

06 August 2021
    The Suicide Squad (2021)

13 August 2021
    Free Guy (2021)
    Respect (2021)

20 August 2021
    Paw Patrol: The Movie (2021)

27 August 2021
    Candyman (2021)
    Reminiscence (2021)
    The Beatles: Get Back (2021)

03 September 2021
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

10 September 2021
    Malignant (2021)

17 September 2021
    The Boss Baby: Family Business (2021)

24 September 2021
    Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)
    The Many Saints of Newark (2021)
    Infinite (2021)
    Dear Evan Hansen (2021)

01 October 2021
    Dune (2021)

08 October 2021
    No Time to Die (2021)

15 October 2021
    Halloween Kills (2021)
    The Last Duel (2021)

22 October 2021
    Last Night in Soho (2021)
    Cry Macho (2021)
    Jackass 4 (2021)

29 October 2021
    Antlers (2021)

05 November 2021
    Eternals (2021)

11 November 2021
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)

19 November 2021
    Top Gun: Maverick (2021)
    King Richard (2021)

24 November 2021
    House of Gucci (2021)
    Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)
    Encanto (2021)

03 December 2021
    Nightmare Alley (2021)

10 December 2021
    West Side Story (2021)

17 December 2021
    Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

22 December 2021
    The Matrix 4 (2021)
    The King's Man (2021)
    Wicked (2021)
    Sherlock Holmes 3 (2021)
    Sing 2 (2021)

Stormrider77, PH416156 and Vidiot like this.
  3. Deuce66

The top 3 box office movies so far this year.

Hi, Mom $821.8 million (mostly in China)
    Detective Chinatown 3 $686.2 million (China)
    Godzilla vs Kong $390.9

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I heard Dear Evan Hansen has a great cast!

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

6. Deuce66

7. Deuce66

Scheduled for a Dec 10 release, I don't have a feeling either way on this one.

West Side Story - Steven Spielberg

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I guess Godzilla vs Kong is a hit. But sweet Lord it does not deserve to be. I never walk out on films, but I was sorely tempted, and this was my first visit to a theater in over a year!!!

PapaMuerte, Vidiot and pjc1 like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a great list, and I'm really hopeful that the Hollywoo movie business will get back to normal. Though... the only films I'm really interested in are:

Separation (which I worked on for a bit with director William Brent Bell)
    Black Widow (which is finally coming out after an almost 18-month delay)
    The Beatles: Get Back (and it's about damn time)
    The Many Saints of Newark (the long-awaited Sopranos prequel)
    No Time to Die (the much-delayed Bond film)
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    West Side Story
    (from Spielberg)
    Spider-Man: No Way Home (still in production)

Everything else I'm kinda "eh" on, but there are always surprise hits and interesting films that pop out and dazzle audiences. I just saw My Octopus Teacher about 2 weeks ago on Netflix, and I was really surprised and moved by it, and I said, "man, if this doesn't win the Oscar for Best Documentary, nothing will." And of course it did.

I boohed, yelled, said rude things, and threw popcorn at the screen during Godzilla vs. Kong, then stormed out and went to my car... but then realized I was still home, so I had to go back and shut the system off.

RhodyDave125, drh, wayneklein and 8 others like this.
  10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I know people will say that the actors don’t matter in Kaiju movies. But, F those people! I’ve never seen such lousy acting. It’s probably not the actors fault. They simply look like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing!

Another thing, they’ve made Godzilla & Kong much bigger. Kong used to climb skyscrapers. Now he stands next to them!

The visual of Kong doing sign language with a girl the size of an ant was preposterous!!

Vidiot likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Did they start filming Sherlock Holmes 3? Maybe IMDb was wrong on that one. That december release date seems too optimistic, if not unreal.

12. Deuce66

I think you're right on this one, the IMDB page for the movie itself has very little information and only shows that its in pre-production.

13. Deuce66

That's unfortunate, w/w gross to date is $406.666 million with $86.66 million in the USA. No doubt another sequel will be greenlit.

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Much worse than the last one. This comes from a fan of both King Kong and Godzilla Movies... Redeeming aspects? NONE!

RhodyDave125 and davenav like this.
  16. Deuce66

Upcoming for the MCU - We'll know for sure by the end of 2023 if theatres have rebounded back to pre-Covid levels, there's enough blockbuster product headed into the cinemas.

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that the outcome of Black Widow at the box office will be the definitive determining factor that will influence all who will follow.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

One of the movies I was most looking forward to in Spring 2020 was based on a fun thriller of a book, "The Woman in the Window." Of course it got shelved, but I kept checking to see when it would hit the theatres and ... it looks like it won't.

Netflix has it debuting this month instead. I'm surprised they aren't even trying to have any box office with this one. It's got a great pedigree: a hit novel; an acclaimed director, Joe Wright (Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, Hanna, Darkest Hour); and some major star power (Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman). I know that "straight to streaming" isn't as bad as "straight to video," but I had moderately high hopes for this one.

Maybe it's awful and is an early candidate for a "bomb" here???

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't love the totally plan detailed below, but hey, at least it's a plan:

Cinemark, Studios Reach Deals on How Movies Are Shown as Theaters Reopen

Basically, for some studios and theaters, they've agreed to a 30-day window (5 weekends) between the time the film is in theaters to the time it can be shown on pay-per-view or streaming. I think this is too soon: I think they should have gone with 90 days, which would've been plenty. But I think theater owners are desperate to re-open, and I totally understand that.

The film I'm looking forward to the most might be Black Widow, which I think is opening in theaters on the 4th of July weekend.

McLover, SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  20. Deuce66

Here's one not on the IMDB list - the latest from Matt Damon "Stillwater" out July 30.

Juan Matus likes this.
  21. Deuce66

The first one pulled in $856 million worldwide and now the sequel arrives.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

You could have put on your Usher Uniform and gave yourself a stern warning, and just one more chance. But be clear that you won't tolerate your own misbehavior.

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

As Ray Harryhausen pointed out, the producers had milked all the drama from Kong, so his 'son' (meaning there was a Mrs. Kong?) was sort of a clown.

It is ironic that the first Kong, made with relatively primitive effects, had a haunting and disturbing tone that none of the remakes ever got. Or even really tried to. WTF is wrong with people in Hollywood anyways? Is it drugs, ego, studio politics, too much sun, too much AC, the Santa Anas, that broken traffic signal in Burbank, the traffic in general, lack of selection in the vending machines at LAX, earthquakes, not enough earthquakes, smog....

SandAndGlass, Scott222C and PH416156 like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If you're talking about King Kong remakes, I think the 1976 Dino De Laurentiis remake was done as a cash grab, because they thought there was big money to be made. And it was financially successful. Peter Jackson's 2005 remake was intended as a very faithful, big-budget expansion of the original 1933 film... but I think at 3 hours, it wound up being very slow and overblown, though it had some good moments. And then in 2017, Legendary Pictures (and Warner Bros.) did Kong: Skull Island as part of their "MonsterVerse" with Godzilla and the other Toho creatures, intending to build a franchise. I actually liked this 2017 film quite a bit, mainly because it didn't take itself too seriously and had some genuine laughs and surprises. But the Godzilla remakes from the same company are painful to watch (at least for me).

PhilBorder and PH416156 like this.
  25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

How dare they! The original from 1947 cannot be improved upon. Bradley Cooper, FFS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.