' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I would like to see Kong in a tux handing out a lifetime achievement award to some old fart. And if the speech runs long, Kong sort of just sweeps everyone off stage with his big paw.

Shawn likes this.
  3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'd like to see Kong and Zilla come out on stage to present, say, Best Special Effects, monster-argue about who gets to read the winner and destroy the stage before Mothra flutters by, snatches the card and then reveals the two tiny girls who sing the winning name.

4. Jeff Lynne was in Blue Oyster Cult? Who knew.

5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Steriods.

Shawn likes this.
  6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Gotta agree; marginally entertaining enough, but ultimately the most video game-esque and least satisfying in this monsterverse.

JediJones likes this.
  7. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

I watched this and Mortal Kombat on HBOMax and I definitely found this one to be the lesser of the two. One issue I had - and this may be because I was watching it on TV - is that most of the monster stuff is just so DARK. They're often either stomping around at night or in clouds of dust and smoke. I just got tired of watching through the haze. It's obviously designed for the big screen, though, so maybe it plays better there.

It's also VERY talky. I swear they could lose a half-hour of dialogue without missing anything significant in the plot.

(Mortal Kombat, on the other hand, was a lot more fun than I was expecting; but that's another thread.)

JediJones likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My first time back in a theater in over a year. I didn’t walk out, because I never walk out on movies. But this was beyond bad.

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I saw it in IMAX and it didn't look dark. I guess the latest news is that the director of this one is in talks to do another Monsterverse film. Wish it was the director of King of the Monsters instead. That one had smarter writing and a more logical story. And its director Michael Dougherty has a better resume, having co-written a couple of the better X-Men movies and a couple cool horror-comedies (Krampus, Trick R Treat). The director of Zilla/Kong, Adam Wingard, doesn't have anything memorable in his resume, mostly some forgettable and poorly reviewed horror movies.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Should have demanded a refund for your time spent...

True, she was the ONLY decent character in the movie, and to her further credit, she has no spoken lines!

That's all I really expect from a monster movie. I can completely disregard a poorly written script and bad character development, IF (and that's a big IF), we have monsters who terrorize and stomp on people and destroy the infrastructure of society.

This movie doesn't even do this. How can you have a MONSTER movie, without having monsters who obliterate people? That is the central premise of any monster movie!

Audience was on drugs... Critic's were not far behind...

Being death and dumb, clearly has career advantages in this movie.

I never can quite understand having exceeding loud volume during the times that hardly anything is happening?

Speaking of which, in reading through this thread, is it possible that many here saw a different movie than what you and I saw?

:laughup: This guy apparently saw the same movie as us...

I can't! (What characters?)

That was exactly the impression I had, while watching the fight scenes, where they are fighting and crashing into skyscrapers. The skyscrapers lacked detail and any sense of definition. There weren't even any close-up shots of the buildings themselves. All we saw were tall three dimensional rectangles. What made these "lego like" structures stand out was colored lights that ran up and down the corners of the buildings vertically.

I keep hearing praises for the CGI special effects. I must have missed those completely? I would rather look at movies made in the 50's with fake looking miniatures, that at least had some detail in them!

Quite true. I will point out just a few more rather obvious reasons why:

Kong is a primate, a big primate but only a primate, no inherent super powers. Yet, in the middle of the ocean, Godzilla somehow manages to detect his presence and attack a convoy of navel transport ships. Could it be that Godzilla has long distance E.S.P.?

Godzilla, has no real monster character development or alone screen time.? Godzilla only appears to fight Kong, then disappears again.

About the plot, there isn't any. Even the last movie, with all of its script deficiencies had a plot. Evil people want monsters to destroy mankind so we can start over again.

And the characters, from the last Godzilla movie, might not remember their names but we remember them because most of them were annoying.

Millie Bobby Brown does not have a large part, but she was present throughout the movie and her acting was fine, being a rather talented young actress. I was looking forward to seeing her again in this movie.

Well, we did get to see her, here or there. What did she do? NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Here you cast a very talented actress and her character value was ZERO!

She had more lines in an average episode of Stranger Things, than she had in this movie. Not only more lines, but a better character with a better script. At least we know that the budget wasn't eaten by casting...

PhilBorder likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I definitely don't get the critics. Maybe they gave it a pass just to try to throw a bone to help theaters out. But when I look at how they trashed Batman V Superman, a movie that had a lot of intelligent dialogue, character development and clear motivations for why the fight was happening, I don't get how they can rate this schlocky slugfest with irritating campy comic relief higher. The only motivation for Godzilla to attack is "there can be only one." Batman V Superman would not have been improved by adding in a hyperactive, hyperventilating fat guy who gets scared at everything.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, Batman vs. Superman was not very good, but Godzilla vs. Kong was worse. Call it "a mild headache vs. a severe upset stomach."

ibanez_ax, davenav and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It's fun to watch it once (I did it yesterday) but for some reason it wasn't as interesting as latest couple of Godzilla movies.

The most interesting part for me was when Kong goes "home". That's where the battle of the Titans should have happened, as it's a unique place. Hopefully it will receive more attention if there's another film.

SandAndGlass and JediJones like this.
  14. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

The movie was written by twelve-year-olds for ten-year-olds. Iron Sky made more sense and was produced with a knowing wink to the audience.

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

There are a lot more super hero movies than giant monster movies, so there's more to compare Batman Vs. Superman to. Expectations were also higher for BVS than GVK. And the Martha bit didn't help.

16. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's not just the critics, on Rotten Tomatoes the ratings are 75% critics / 91% fans. On IMDB the Metascore is 59 and 6.5/10. It's no classic based on these numbers but not that awful either according to most who've seen it.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

To me, this version had nothing. There was zero acting, except for the little girl. A completely devoid script. Fight scenes were meh. They began to develop the characters but failed to go anywhere with them. No good monster rage on the population.

Even not so good monster movies can have camp appeal. This did not even have that. There were do many different ways that a monster movie could deliver. This fails in every possible way...

brownie61, JediJones and Deuce66 like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Haven't seen it and I'm in no rush, not a fan of the genre.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Yeah, that score seems about right for folk who have their expectations in check (which excludes several vociferous posters in this thread).:D

Bruce Racket likes this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Judging by the comments here, I'm sure you've all been breathlessly awaiting the day you can own this cinematic masterpiece. Well, the wait is almost over - June 15. The line forms on the right.

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

This just in.. on the second day of shooting, production was held up when Godzilla showed up late with a hangover, threw up a fireball that landed near Kong's trailer, and outraged Kong in turn threw a Winnebago at Godzilla who just staggered off laughing.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I warned you about smoking on set...
    [​IMG]

24. I'm not sure what you guys were expecting, but I was expecting a Godzilla movie, and that is what I got.

We really enjoyed it, thought it was great. Lots of fun. I'll watch it again. :edthumbs:

ego1jr and Bruce Racket like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Hey buddy, need a light?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.