The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Mar 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I finally got the gumption to watch the final three Wandavision eps last night. Witches? Really? That's what this was all about? Ugh. I really was getting into the Monica Rambeau/SWORD subplot and then...this?

Held off on Falcon & Winter Soldier until a few days ago because I never found either character very compelling or interesting in the flicks. First ep was OK, but I really enjoyed the second--I like their rapport, humor and tension between the two and John Walker. Speaking of whom--his character struck me as odd and potentially sinister, then I did a sneak peak at spoilers and there ya go! Anyway, for only being 2 and a half episodes in I'm liking it a quite a bit, wonderful effects too.

Shawn and Curveboy like this.
  2. Your willing to accept super powers but not witches?

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

A show about the superhero commonly known as but not yet referenced in the films as Scarlet Witch turns out to be at least in part about witches?
    [​IMG]

4. pdenny

I accept super powers in a movie about people with super powers. I accept witches when I'm watching Maleficent or The Wizard of Oz. When the whole Agnes thing started up all I could think of was Gladys Kravitz turning out to be Endora :laugh: Sorry, no sale for me. It was like stumbling into a completely different movie.

5. BeatleJWOL

I would say you can always tell the people who don't read the comics by their reactions to when things get weird.

But then I remember I've only cracked a handful of superhero comics in my lifetime. :D

That said, Agatha Harkness is a Lee/Kirby creation and has been in the comics since the 1970s, as has witchcraft. :shrug:
    Agatha Harkness - Wikipedia

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My objection was turning one of my favorite characters from childhood into a villain.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

As in Wanda?

I can see that. I mean, in the comics she did blink all mutants out of existence that one time, so it's not like it's unprecedented. Doctor Strange might be able to bring her off the edge, though, we'll see.

But that's different from "witches? in my superhero comic? now that's just unreasonable" :p

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No, Agatha.

9. pdenny

I accept that. I certainly have never cracked a Marvel comic, so I’m certainly in the camp where all the “inside baseball” comic book stuff is lost on me.

10. BeatleJWOL

Oh! Interesting. But yeah, also understandable.

I'm often in the same boat, which is why some of the Youtube commentarians come in handy.

11. Indeed, I remember the Agnes character quite well all these years later although her role as mentor was slightly different.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. You sir are the first person I’ve ever heard state that Agatha Harkness is a favorite character! Kudos!

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Really good series; I'm watching it.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Disagree strongly. Falcon & Winter Soldier and WandaVision both combined cinematic razzle dazzle with television’s ability to delve deeper into character , due to the luxury of longer running times. We got to know these characters much better and more deeply than the compressed time in a movie could ever have afforded.

I do think the original plan was for the more straightforward story, Falcon & Winter Soldier, to air first and to be followed by the simply mind-blowing arc of WandaVision. That would have eased the audience into this new television series of arcs better. But Covid changed all that and indeed restricted the WandaVision finale due to to unavailability of actors. Still, I’m thoroughly enjoying these extended journeys into these characters’ lives and worlds.

Next up is Loki, and I can’t wait!

Btw, I consider the blip to be one of the greatest storytelling devices of the modern era!

15. davenav

Agatha Harkness is a witch in the comics, as is Wanda - The Scarlett Witch, ffs!!

Curveboy likes this.
  16. pdenny

Calm down there, pardner. As I mentioned upthread, I never read a single Marvel comic. I did, however, watch 23 MCU movies--nary a witch to be seen, so I just found the turn of events in Wandavision incongruous. Only thing missing was Margaret Hamilton's hat and nose warts. Just one fella's opinion, only a movie, your mileage may vary yadda yadda :p

CoachD likes this.
  17. davenav

Okay, I over-reacted. But, it’s because of how well Agatha was handled in this. Witches in the Marvel universe are not exactly your typical Halloween stereotypes. They are every bit as powerful as the super heroes. Indeed, Wanda may be the most powerful character in the MCU.

Vidiot and wayneklein like this.
  18. In fact they are not traditional ‘witches’ as well.I did think the way that they subverted the mentor ship from the comics.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Kevin Feige have said all the Marvel superheroes exist in the same universe, but perhaps different things are going on. This begs the question, "what was Spiderman doing at the beginning of Iron Man or Deadpool or any of those other movies that also take place in New York City?" He's strongly implied that there will be more character crossovers in future Marvel films & TV shows, particularly characters they didn't own before (like X-Men and so on).

The other thing I have on good authority is that they're actively developing a reboot of the Fantastic Four franchise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a glimpse of this at least by the end of Spiderman 3.

I liked the Falcon & Winter Soldier overall, but I did think the final episode was a bit preachy. Nonetheless, I thought it was well-done, I think the actors were well-cast, and I thought the racial message was extremely timely and apt.

Simon A, BeatleJWOL and davenav like this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Having read the comics through the years, I enjoy how this series incorporates some of the less-appreciated characters. The Avengers films began to lose my interest once they attempted to cram so many characters into one story, but this formula is more digestible.

davenav likes this.
  21. What’s interesting is the final episode may have been a bit heavy handed but so were many of the the comics when it came to discussing racial issue as well.

Vidiot, davenav and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

This has always been an issue in the comics. Why don't the Avengers team up and handle every crisis, why leave it to one superhero?

23. davenav

Indeed. Timely then. Timely now.

BeatleJWOL and wayneklein like this.
  24. davenav

And of course, Marvel used to be called Timely Comics.

25. lol. Yep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.