Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The Interview. Absolutely hated that James Franco.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Violence in a war movie, who would've guessed? :rolleyes:

3. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The New Mutants

Not 15 but after an hour with 20 minutes of fast forwarding through the endless talking. So dreadfully boring.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

"precocious" - not "precious". Sigh....

5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Not to mention it's a reasonable representation of what happened on Omaha Beach on D-Day.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Watched the whole thing. Horrible.

hi_watt and BZync like this.
  7. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Road to Perdition. The only movie I fell asleep at in a cinema. Figured out the plot early on, and Tom Hanks as a hit man was laughable.

Scott222C and hi_watt like this.
  8. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

Mank
    Completely artificial, stiff, pretentious, self-conscious. Underlit. All indoor scenes have Spielbergian slashing light coming in the windows. Oldman is a walking wax figure, so totally over the top. He speaks only in catch phrases and bon mots.

Scott222C, hi_watt and brownie61 like this.
  9. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The Wizard of Oz.

I was under the impression that it was in colour but it turns out it's only sepia-toned black & white. What a gyp!

MichaelH, gonz, RageRomano and 2 others like this.
  10. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

True, but.... I know it’s stupid or at least ‘arm chair whining’ but one thing that always bugged me about the D-day landing in this movie was the POV from the German machine gunners was obviously shot at a different location and therefore all wrong. The beach was shorter and there were less soldiers on it than from the POV of Tom Hanks’ platoon.

Because it was such a harrowing experience till then, it really got me out of the experience and made me remember it was just a movie with actors.

11. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Just recently, Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The opening scene with the coin flipping was so boring to the point of being annoying. I kept speeding forward watching a little here and there, only to conclude it was pointless.

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Way too many to list. Last night was Boondog Saints 2. What crap. I get 4 or 5 dvd's from the library and eject the ones I don't like.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My wife and I have a major rule to give a movie (new or old) a twenty minute chance to get our attention, so we shut off a LOT of movies in this house.

The latest was the new Disney/Pixar "Soul" (I believe that we actually gave that one a few extra minutes? I was kind of onboard with the jazz side of the story, but then my wife and I both quickly lost interest when the lead character turned into a damned cat and that was that!)

Ironically, in regards to member @The Dark Elf and his thoughts on Tom Hanks and "Road To Perdition" above in post #332. My wife and I are pretty big Tom Hanks fans and of all actors out there, we still can't believe just how much this once completely goofball of an actor in "Bosom Buddies" and some of those earlier movies of his, became one of our true favorites, but he has! The guy really does bring something magical to his movies, like the movie or not. Anyways, a few weeks ago we were over visiting my brother and his wife and he brought up "Road To Perdition" when we mentioned how much we enjoyed Tom Hanks and neither of us had ever seen it. He said, "wait until you see him in "Road"", so I borrowed it from the library. "Road" was an entertaining enough movie and the visuals were excellent. Tom Hanks as the bad guy was actually nice for once, but the part that was a little tough to swallow ("Saving Private Ryan" not included), was him being surrounded by so much blood and Sopranos-like killing. The movie was also, like most, too long for it's own good. Which circles me to that latest movie of Hanks, which we also just watched (I can't remember the name of it?), but similarly, he has to save a child, but this time on a never ending boring run through the old wild west and Indians, in a wagon wheel carriage. Somehow, we barely made it through that movie, which was worth it for the final scenes, when Hanks really gets his usual " tug at your heart" moment, the same one you usually get somewhere in nearly EVERY Hanks related movie.

Cut to the chase >>> I guess that I will never understand how anyone who truly loves movies could ever not appreciate what Tom Hanks brings to a motion picture. Dislike one of his movies, sure, no problem as I have my own short list of them myself, but rarely ever is it because of Tom. To my wife and I, Tom Hanks is what an actor is truly all about.

MichaelH likes this.
  14. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Bastards Crossing on Amazon Prime, dull slow moving western, when I don't recognize the film studio or any of the actors that's a clue that I might not like the movie and I was right.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don't know if you're familiar with the show 'Veep' but it's about a woman Vice President of the U.S. Her staff are incompetent and always making mistakes. In one episode one of them blows it big time and hopes Tom Hanks dies so that news coverage will be about that instead.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Crazy!!! I'm aware of Veep, but never watched as we don't have HBO, although I would guess that it is on DVD or Blu-Ray by now?

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Chris C likes this.
  18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Add "trenchant" and Wallace Shawn and you've got a sexy Stand And Deliver.

19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It is all about the banter, which you can’t hear on fast forward!

carrick doone and wolfram like this.
  20. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    I've discovered that I dislike Robert Downey Jr. very much.
    For some reason he just irks me.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Honey Bunches of Sadness

We'll allow it. ;)

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Girl On A Train

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Phew! I thought I was the ONLY one who wanted to turn Soul off when the lead became a cat. Terribly unfunny idea worthy of a lesser Pepé Le Pew cartoon. A better plot would have maybe had the lead STUCK in whatever they called that Heavenly Weigh Station and his various "cheating" attempts at getting back to Earth, all failing, ala Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow, and being forced to be a Mentor as punishment and realizing that being a Mentor/teacher was his true calling.

MichaelH and Chris C like this.
  24. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I think it was more than 15 minutes, but thought 1941 was really BORING.

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Really? I love that film and find it far from pointless. It's a pretty clever mix of Elizabethan Drama and the Theatre of the Absurd. Once you realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern only know what the text of Hamlet tells us about them, their confusion starts to make sense (including the fact, that they don't even know who of them is Rosencrantz and who is Guildenstern). The flipping of the coin with always the same result at the beginning foreshadows their unavoidable death at the end of the play. They are determined by the rules of the Elizabethan Tragedy, so nicely explained by the actor played by Richard Dreyfuss.

carrick doone and unclefred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.