Laura Nyro "American Dreamer" (8LP Box Set w/ Book and LP of rarities) (08/06/2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 27, 2021.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Steve's stuff came from Columbia. The Verve lps had no distortion

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nope, never was. And unlike a lot of 1993 albums, it was the perfect length for vinyl.

3. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

Always delighted to see Laura's magnificent work given a new release. Agreed that nearly all of the bonus material was previously available, but I've never seen a version of the great Nested album that included the Emmie/Nested track cited here. (And I even have the very first Nested CD release, which came from Japan in the mid 1990s.) Can anyone clue me on which pressing of the CD included this?

Also agreed that a double LP edition of the full Season of Lights should follow this in short order.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

This is a no-go for me, unless the new mastering is really amazing. I have all the original LPs in very good condition, and multiple digital versions (including all the extra tracks they're offering).

I agree that an LP version of Walk The Dog would be great. I'd also like to see Live At The Bottom Line on vinyl. However, I think the audience for this release is people fairly new to vinyl who only know Laura from CDs or streaming (and who have well-paying jobs).

Recordfan and ralphb like this.
  5. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

The original Verve LPs (mono and stereo) had no distortion. But the reissued stereo version on Verve did have it, ugh...

6. Finchingfield

This track was on the 2008 Japan reissue...

kmk pdx and Celebrated Summer like this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Again a thanks to SHF otherwise I would have no idea such a beast was going to exist. The Bobby Gentry, Richard and Linda along with Gong and Ronnie Lane were all worthwhile box sets.

Madfish not Universal so ignore above looks great though.
    Vinyl not cd will a cd box follow?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    audiotom likes this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I would prefer they not re-release New York Tendaberry with the rare cover. I own a copy and would like it to remain rare. Last I saw, it was selling for upwards of $300.

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Tendaberry has always been my go-to Laura and I've hated every mastering except the one that got me into the album, which was the 3.75 ips reel which is still kinda krap because of the lower speed but doesn't have the harsh grating midrange of all vinyl I've heard...mind you, I haven't bought the latest just for fear of being burned again...

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

But the original copy with the rare cover would remain rare. Nothing can change it.

11. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Yup, that I went into more detail in a later post. We've yet to see a reissue of More Than a New Discovery using the original stereo mix. I just hope those tapes still exist.

12. Finchingfield

I'll take a high quality needle drop until those tapes show up (and they've been thoroughly looked for but refuse to surface, ugh).

13. I ordered my copy even though I already own great pressings of all of these albums. It could be great if done all analogue.

14. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

... and for vinyl listeners, there's as well the mono you mention plus all-analogue reissues of the following three albums from Analog Spark and/or Pure Peasure, which are nothing short of amazing... and I doubt the box is going to match those reissues, quality-wise; it doesn't look like it's all-analogue, it would be advertised in capital letters if this was the case.
    So yes it's going to be a pass for me unless the price seriously drops, but I don't think it will.

Recordfan and audiotom like this.
  15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

A CD issue would ne an instant purchase for me.

Oh well!

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

For anyone interested, I suggest seeking this out if you want the best sounding version of the Columbia 'First Songs'.

https://www.discogs.com/Laura-Nyro-The-First-Songs/release/3551917

No, Stoney End is not fixed. But every now and then, I want to hear the stereo, just for the different placement of the instruments in the mix.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Seems like more a cash grab than a chance to bring some closure to that era.

You don't get the 2LP version of Seasons of Light. You don't get the Verve and Columbia versions of the first LP (or mono vs stereo). No sign of the (never released on vinyl) quad mix.

It's weird that the last few albums are missing, but I think that those were released under a separate contract with Columbia and maybe are harder to license.

The rarities LP is fine, but, obviously, having to buy the entire box to get it is a bit of a mugging for certain people. It's hard to imagine there are too many people that are interested in the rarities that don't already own the rest of the catalog in some acceptable/good version.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Recordfan likes this.
  18. Finchingfield

bluemooze likes this.
  19. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I'll be curious to hear reviews I have every album in this set already including The Analog Spark of Eli and Real Gone Mono of More Than A New Discovery and I have a hard time thinking those 2 will be improved upon. To those who have not picked it up I highly recommend the Real Gone Mono it was as revelatory or me as the Beatles Mono reissues were. It's so well done

bluemooze and Gradese like this.
  20. Stratovisionmedia

Stratovisionmedia Forum Resident

Nice to see a box set on Laura, my favorite female artist of all time, but will have to pass. Nothing new here to warrant the sizable cash outlay. I’m also not a fan of Mad Fish mimicking the classic Columbia label. It just looks wrong!

Regarding the alternate cover for NYT, I foolishly did not buy a copy with this cover when I saw it in a used vinyl store in Everett WA about 4 years ago. I was unaware of the history of the album at the time and my iPhone battery was dead so I didn’t look it up. I thought it was a uk import pressing and I already had two copies so I walked away! I’m still crying!

21. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I thought the same thing... they're awful. Really poor taste. It takes away from the faithfulness of the whole operation.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    tug_of_war likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It’s in no way acceptable that this box is not being issued on CD.

LN is exactly the kind of artist who needs her works assembled in a box set and the fact that virtually all her work is owned by Sony makes this easy to do.

Sticking it out on vinyl only and with a big price tag is NOT the way to win friends and influence people.

Jarleboy, SGR and Recordfan like this.
  23. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

and - they're not even doing it properly on vinyl...

Recordfan likes this.
  24. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat is seriously slept on. I think it's just as great as Eli and Tendaberry. She sounds revitalized and the Muscle Shoals guys put in some subtly fiery work on it. I used to work at Barnes And Noble and it was only available in November and December, the store thought it was a Christmas album. Lol

audiotom, TonyG, snkcube and 2 others like this.
  25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's not on the mono mix. And the multi-tracks are long gone.

tug_of_war likes this.