Yoko Ono material on Plastic Ono Band box BluRay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Obviously the author of that article is better informed than I am. Still I remain hopeful that Simon Hilton's hopes for a wider release won't be dasht.

frightwigwam, Shawn and pghmusiclover like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Actually I should have included the end of the sentence from the article I quoted:

At present, the new mixes of YO/POB are only available on the Blu-rays in the “Ultimate Collection” box set, due to licensing issues; Hilton hopes to someday be able to release more material.

Any idea if that is more material related to these sessions? Or just hopefully more Yoko material!

Shawn likes this.
  3. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

@mikecarrera - would you know whether the Greenfield Morning tanpura loop was really live in the studio during the Oct 10th recording or overdubbed here, and why the Yoko tracks during the Oct 10th session were resequenced, which defies the point of hearing the entire recording session as it happened?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    mikecarrera likes this.
  4. solent

solent Forum Resident

The Yoko session apparently follows the LP order in order to resemble the way Lennon material is presented. Think of the tracks as raw unedited mixes (LP) followed by 3 outtakes and then 3 B-side (singles).

5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I listened to Why this morning, and had a good time! Having never heard the actual album, this will all sit as my introduction to it. I will say that despite anticipating it, I was still shocked when Yoko entered, but it worked perfectly. Can't wait to dig deeper!

6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Apparently, that's no excuse. I made the same complaint and was dismissively told that "everyone should have a blu-ray player these days: they're only £40 or so". That's as maybe, but I don't want to be buying new kit just to play a new release.

7. Paul H

Back to the discussion though: I'm no fan of Yoko's music - I'm not a Yoko-basher at all, I just don't like what I've heard of her music. However, Don't Worry Kyoko crops up at the end of the Jams disc and it came on. And I had to skip back to the start to hear it again. It's really good. So much so, that I'm actually tempted to pop her jams on my mp3 player and give them an audition.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a BR player. I just don't have a stand alone drive and the ability to rip it to a format that I could listen to outside my living room

MattyRedSox, ARK and Paul H like this.
  9. What’s wrong with your living room set-up?

10. Rfreeman

Nothing but it greatly enhances the value of a music purchase if I can listen to it in my car, in my office, in my bedroom and anywhere I go on my phone. The amount of time I have to spend sitting in one room focused on listening to 2 hrs of music is limited. And times where I could dominate the living room of my house loudly playing 2 hours of music that my kids, my girlfriend, and most people I know would consider "objectionable noise" are even more limited.

11. Paul H

Yeah, I was wryly observing the principle that apparently you ought "just get on and buy one". Personally, I agree with you on this. I'd much rather they made the whole shebang available for download with a card. That said, it's no less a hassle...

12. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

"Licensing issues" feels like a red herring. Why would you be able to release the material on a blu-ray but not on a CD? If someone can explain that to me, please do...

mr.datsun and PimentDouceur like this.
  13. Rfreeman

It is a mystery to me even as a copyright attorney. It is conceivable that there could be a contract with a company that released YO POB on CD that gives them exclusive rights to release that material or any tracks containing parts of any of that material for CD / download / sreaming but does not give them exclusive rights to it on all digital media. But that would be a very unusual contract and I have never seen one like that.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I doubt anyone here knows the specifics of the contract, but we do know another label (Secretly Canadian) reissued Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band on CD and vinyl in 2016 and still has the download and streaming rights.

ConnieGuitar, octophone and Shawn like this.
  15. alboreto

alboreto Forum Resident

It's an interesting one, but I wonder if Chimera basically licensing the album to Secretly Canadian a couple of years ago complicates the matter.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

It is no mystery that they would have licensed the rights to the label that released this album. The mystery is why a 21st century licensing contract would contain exclusive rights to release it in certain digital media without referring to "all digital media". It suggests incompetence by the lawyers for the label.that licensed the content for CD that they would not insist on this. It is default language these days. If you are getting an exclusive CD license, you don't want a competing higher resolution product being made available on DVD, SACD, BR or any other digital medium.

Best explanation is that they did insist on this originally - but then agreed to let Yoko put them out in this very limited fashion - only on BR as parts of an 8 disc box - for a partial refund of the license fee they paid.

17. Rfreeman

Looks like I found a way to check this music out after all. Greatly appreciate the kindness folks show to fellow lovers of challenging music.

revolution_vanderbilt and Calico like this.
  18. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Oh sure and they did a great job.

But, let's face it - these tapes would not have been excavated and mixed for that reissue. The budget wasn't there. Only for a project of this scale and potential return would these tapes have been rescued from the eternal vault. It's a tricky one for sure.

FJFP and Shawn like this.
  19. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I thought Lennon used an old recording of Harrison playing for that track then looped it ?

FJFP and Usagi75 like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Kind of hard to imagine George coming in to John's solo album sessions to only record Tamboura for a Yoko track and not playing anything with John Ringo and Klaus.

21. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

It wasn't recorded at those sessions, it dates back to The Beatles days.

Rfreeman likes this.
  22. Yes, I wish it was available separately, as well as available for streaming.

MattyRedSox likes this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

You can buy a Blu-ray player second hand, £30 thesedays

24. Calico

Calico Senior Member

So there are two distinct sounds that appear both on Beatles recordings AND on the YO/POB album...

25. Tetherwald

Tetherwald Forum Resident

I think I figured out Yoko’s October 10 recording chronology by looking at the tape boxes in the book. The fifties rock jams are followed by Why on E099930, Touch Me is on E099931 and Why Not is on E099932. Assuming the boxes were numbered sequentially, next up is E099933 which lists Life, Love Grunt (the orgasmic moans of I Lost Myself?), and Faster Rock ‘n Roll (Omae is a standard 12-bar blues-rock riff). E099934 has Paper Shoes and Greenfield.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.