INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I tie Elegantly Wasted to Medazzaland by Duran Duran, which came out in October of that year and similarly stiffed -- so badly in fact Duran Duran was dropped by their label and the album wasn't even released in the UK. But mostly because of this song, which was written about Michael (it came out a month before his death):

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

=
    Excellent reminder!

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Never heard that before.
    A very different sound for Duran. Liked it

4. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The processed auto wah-wah bass line and mid-tempo beat intro from Elegantly Wasted anchors the verses and sets the course for much of the rest of the track. As usual, the pre-chorus-styled bridges, exceed expectations and propel us into one of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard. The hybrid of danceable and rock guitar riffs, are once again showing us how good INXS are at contrast within their arrangements. And I love Kirk's bluesy slide guitar fills in the bridges and of course, in his solo - an unexpected but nice touch. There are hooks almost everywhere here. EW is a funk rock masterpiece. My country loved it so much, that it became a #1 single and was on the RPM Singles Chart for 6 months! And yes, INXS are better than Oasis! :cool:

The Shagsonic mix brings much more of a hip-hop feel to the song (something the original hints at) and is a cool listen.

The Shagsonic dub mix is alright but it drags out too long.

The Gforce & Seiji mix wouldn't sound out of place on a jungle or drum and bass album from this era. Unfortunately, this also drags for much too long and is a boring mix.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Well, I wouldn't assume that, since INXS didn't sign with Atlantic until right before LLT. So their current involvement, at best, would only be from the titles released between 1985-1994...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Earlier albums were still on Atco in the US. Maybe they signed a different/better/new deal before LLT? I don't know as much about the early years...'85-'97 is really the only stuff I'm super interested in.
    [​IMG]

twicks and mark winstanley like this.
  7. walrus

I mean, labels are stupid and it shouldn't matter, except that their catalog's digital availability is suffering in the US because of this crap. :sigh:

8. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Elegantly Wasted (Song):

I actually remember when I first heard this song: I was visiting Houston, TX late March '97 and had the radio tuned to the local alternative/modern rock station while on the road. The DJ announced a new single from INXS and my ears perked right up when that funky intro started playing. As it went on, I loved how catchy it was. It has a great groove that gets the body moving and oh mustn't forget Micheal's vocal as he delivers with such smoothness. It's a great track and definitely got me interested in the band and the forthcoming album. Back home, I do recall the song getting some minor airplay and it's unfortunate that it disappeared from the playlist rather quickly.

It's funny, to this very day, I cannot unhear that and even I will sing it when the song comes on!

9. mark winstanley

I will never unhear "I'm better than Oasis" ... almost one of my favourite things about the thread :)

10. mark winstanley

"Everything"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Elegantly Wasted
    Released
    26 May 1997
    Recorded 1997
    Genre Rock
    Length 3:12
    Label Mercury
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence, Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Bruce Fairbairn

"Everything" is the second single from the album Elegantly Wasted by INXS. It was released only in Mexico, Europe and Australia. The song was written by Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farriss and recorded by the band in Dublin during the summer of 1996.

12" LP single INXX2912 – Mercury/UK
    1. "Everything" (Jaxx Club Vocal) – 6:39
    2. "Everything" (Jaxx Love Dub)
    CD5 INXCD29 – Single 1 – Mercury/UK
    CD5 574 539-2 – Single 1 – Mercury/Australia/Europe
    1. "Everything" (Live) – 3:37
    2. "Suicide Blonde" (Live) – 3:57
    3. "Never Tear Us Apart" (Live) – 3:52
    4. "What You Need" (Live) – 3:57
    CD5 INXDD29 – Single 2 – Mercury/UK
    CD5 574 537-2 – Single 2 – Mercury/Australia/Europe
    1. "Everything" – 3:12
    2. "Let It Ride" – 3:46
    3. "Girl on Fire" (Keepin' It Tight Mix) – 4:37
    4. "Everything" (Jaxx Club Vocal) – 6:39
    CD CDP 626-2 – Mercury/Mexico
    2. "Everything" (Live) – 3:37
    3. "Everything" (Jaxx Club Vocal) – 6:39
    Cassette INXMC 29 – Mercury/UK
    Cassette 574 536-4 – Mercury/Europe
    2. "Let It Ride" – 3:46

Chart (1997) Peak
    position

Australian Singles Chart[1] 159
    UK Singles Chart[2] 71
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Here we step back a little and the song opens with a somewhat mellow comfortable sound. The piano plays a back n forth pattern and a synth adds a little melodic twist, and the acoustics add a nice crisp percussive guitar. We also get the electric with a little tremolo adding a couple of nice little licks that lead us into the vocal.

Yeah, we're not the only ones
    Who bleed for the love that's lost
    Trust, like the air we breathe
    Live, you've got to lose some sleep

Everything you do for me
    Everything I do for you
    Everything you do for me
    No one else comes close to you

You laugh when the cool get's cold
    Cry when the punchline's told
    Fall into the arms of God
    Pray that your soul's not sold

Change keeps us moving on
    All alone as you walk through the crowd
    Live we're gonna lose some sleep
    Trust like the air we breathe

Anything I do for you
    Anything you do for me

The way you see the world
    The way

Everything you do for me
    Everything I do for you

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Everything lyrics © Universal Music - Careers, Pinky Phat Phat Music, Treehouse Publishing S.r.l, Chardonnay Investments Ltd

To my ears this is a very mature song ... as in, it lyrically comes from a very adult perspective. This isn't a song about partying or dancing, or hooking up or any of those things.
    The recognition that the things happening to us, are happening to everyone ... it is much easier to live with a heart of compassion, when we realise that the bad things in life aren't just happening to us.
    Also we get the idea of working together.... it is much easier to stand when there is someone to stand with, whether that be a partner, or a friend, when we stand together the battle is easier, even though it is still a battle.
    It is a really interesting lyric to come from Michael (I assume) and may well speak to some of the issues he had had over the last few years. Often when we are under the greatest pressure, we get the greatest clarity.

I like the easy flow of this song. I really like the sound of this too. We can hear everything. A nice warm bass, the drums are clean and real. The instruments just smoothly run us through the track, and Hutchence delivers a wonderful vocal.
    We get some nice dynamics too.

A really new song to me, and I think it is an excellent track

11. mark winstanley

This video is really interesting and I wonder if the idea of the video, with the people coming in, or coming back as they are playing was a sort of picture of what the band was hoping would be happening in this album. As they keep playing quality music, people would come back to join them ..... the reality of the music industry, is that generally after a few years of getting the cold shoulder, persistence pays off with, and things get better. Sadly with Hutchence' tragedy, that never got a chance to manifest.

12. mark winstanley

UK National Lottery - May 1997

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

Jaxx Club Vocal

???? this seems to take everything that was excellent about the song and buries it ......

15. mark winstanley

Jaxx Love Dub

.... yea, not for me ...

16. mark winstanley

Let It Ride

We open with what sounds like a synthetic percussion track and a whispered type vocal.

The sky is blue I'm watching you
    The grass is green what does it mean
    Clouds are white don't loose that fight
    Generations oversight is ****ing up my poetry

Let it ride, ride, ride
    Ride, ride, ride
    Ride, ride

Caught in between
    The sun and the moon and the stars
    Caught in between
    Caught in between
    Caught in between

The sky is blue I'm watching you
    The grass is green what does it mean
    Clouds are white don't loose that fight
    Generations oversight is ****ing up my overdrive

Let it ride, ride, ride
    Ride, ride, ride
    Ride, ride, ride

Let it ride, ride, ride

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Let It Ride lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

This ends up being fairly interesting. We open up with that kind of alien landscape kind of sound.
    Then we get a nice descending guitar, that has a kind of country sound to it.

This is almost like a meditation, and the acoustic instruments, kind of fight the electronic instruments. We get some strings of synthetic strings...

This is a fairly interesting track, but I think a b-side seems the best spot for it.

17. Bluepicasso

Everything: 5/5. This song, well, it has everything. Joyous after what I deem to be a lesser album, FM/DH, it beats almost every one on that album hands down. So fresh! This song has the spark and tenderness that made me fall for INXS all those years ago. The chorus is brilliant due to the strength it can grow during the song. This song could have been "warhorse" if Michael didn't die. Well done! Thanks for finding that video with the fans Mark. I've tried before on YouTube and I couldn't find it. Should have searched harder. That is a top-notch video.

Let It Ride: 4/5. Lovely song. Kinda of a hidden gem they brought out again after Michael's death. Keys and synths -- a missing element in later period. They shouldn't have shied from this style of song in these years. Still beats almost all the songs on FM/DH. Great feeling!

18. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Everything

A positive life affirming track which brings some light to what is a predominantly dark album.

It ticks all of the boxes with regards to being commercially viable as a single yet it appears to have sank without trace.

Let it Ride

I really like the vibe and mood on this but feel it is underdeveloped. The lyrics seem a bit rushed. It's a shame because I think given more effort this would have made a solid and fitting album track.

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yep. No The Swing or Listen Like Thieves on Spotify is a major hole.

20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Everything

Piano, acoustic guitar, wispy synth notes, and Michael is in crooner mode. I like the way the dynamics build, and the guitar shimmers that get dropped in as we progress. I also like the vocal doubling of some parts with MH singing while a lower register version of the line is spoken underneath. This one is brief and easy to write off as a trifle, but it’s too good to call it that. A highlight of the album, but apparently not a hit single. No worries - it’s a great song.

I’d never seen the video previously, so I must say: that was cool! The intimate setting + rotating stage with the call-and-response vocals and crowd involvement adds to the “we’re all in it together” spirit of the song itself.

Let It Ride (Bside)

Electronic soundscape to start with the whispered vocals. “Generations oversight is f*cking up my poetry. Let it ride.” Huh? But when the acoustic guitar breaks through the song takes shape. Only complaint is the staccato horn blasts in the 2nd half. Are those real or are they synth horns? I like this song. I could find a place for it on the album.

21. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

I’m not sure “Everything” quite reaches the heights it’s reaching for, but it is still a great track, for sure. I love how uplifting it is without seeming trite. That’s the first time I ever saw the video, which is excellent as well. That’s 3 extremely strong tracks to start this album off.

At this point, I’ll admit that my general recollection of Elegantly Wasted is that I loved the first 3 songs, and then the album tailed off for me from there. I tried at various times over the years to get into the whole album without much success – especially at the insistence of a buddy of mine who is a huge INXS fan and insists this is one of their best albums. However, I’ve already listened to Elegantly Wasted twice in anticipation of this thread, and for the first time ever, I think I’m really getting into it! :cool:

22. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The largely acoustic introduction Everything works for this love song. It builds well and it’s a decent middle-of-the-road album track.

23. Bluepicasso

--
    It's a grower for sure. There are some songs later on that rank with their best, to my ears.

24. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I was on air at a CHR station when this single dropped. As you can imagine, working a hits radio format requires you to listen to the same songs over and over and over again. This one passed the repetition test with flying colors. The groove was irresistible. The sound was very much INXS but showed growth from the previous albums which I found stayed to close to the Kick formula. Thought Michael delivered a very Mick Jagger like cool on this tune. Great swagger. Listening to this I thought "INXS is back!" Unfortunately, it was a final hurrah rather than a band transitioning to it's next phase.

25. walrus

It should've been bigger. Even if the album is spotty, all you need is one great single. Hell, look at what Bon Jovi did in 2000...one huge single, the rest of the album was completely unremarkable, and it still pushed them back into arenas and stadiums. I think INXS may have just been a year or two early with their comeback single.