What's the deal with selling things on Ebay these days?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ls35a, Apr 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can I sell something and have the buyer pay me via paypal?

I thought you had to have a checking account now.

I just bought some speaker wire and Ebay took the money right out of my paypal account so maybe you can buy but not sell on paypal?

Thanks for any info.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Paypal is the only form of payment accepted on eBay unless you do an in person transaction.

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

E-Bay is changing its rules. Soon, sellers will only be able to receive payment directly into a linked bank account. No longer to PayPal.

Buyers can still use PayPal to pay, though.

Uglyversal, wgb113 and mreeter like this.
  4. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, I received an email from eBay wanting my bank information for future proceeds from sales.

I declined, eBay can get by just fine without my few sales a year.

slipkid, Dave, basie-fan and 3 others like this.
  5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

@JamesRR is correct. The cost to sell on eBay with fees and now taxes is squeezing the casual sellers. It’s to the point that you have to significantly inflate your price to not get hosed. Thankfully there are other outlets, just not with as many eyeballs.

6. rockin_since_58

If this is the case, I am also done. Just sold my Grado Hemp Headphones today on eBay and got paid via Paypal.

timind and mreeter like this.
  7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I only sell one or two items a year over there. I will pass on giving them my bank info; that's the whole point of having a paypal account, to avoid this crap.

slipkid, uzn007, yesstiles and 8 others like this.
  8. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Too many World Class hackers out there for my liking.

slipkid, 33na3rd and TEA FOR ONE like this.
  9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

There is something not quite clear to me. If buyers are going to still be able to pay with Paypal how at the same time sellers can only receive money into their bank account. Are you sure it is not just for security purposes and to suck more info out of you?

The other thing is that one really good thing about Paypal is that it have made International payments easy for both parties. Paying Internationally to a bank account is not only expensive but the receiver normally gets slugged with bank fees at their end which are unknown until the money is deposited and for small amounts the fees can be higher than the amount transferred.

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Wait until you get your “Tax Invoice”

bluesky likes this.
  11. rockin_since_58

Weird thing is I did get sales tax on this sale which has never happened before.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

eBay is starting to take payment directly, take sellers fee immediately and put funds directly into your bank. I am not sure if they take a sellers fee like PayPal. They ask for your bank tracking and routing numbers.

13. rockin_since_58

I just looked at the PayPal transaction and the seller paid tax and then eBay took it. This is my last eBay transaction. Most of my stereo items have been sold through the forums here.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

If you've been selling there, you apparently didn't have a problem giving Paypal your bank account number, and probably did so when they were still owned by eBay. I don't see the problem.

Billion$Baby likes this.
  15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

As a buyer, I use eBay a lot.

It's my first port of call for anything new I want.
    I check the prices of items and then look elsewhere for comparisons.
    It will give you an idea how much you should be paying.

You have to realise that the sponsored items appear first in the lists and are not always the cheapest.

A lot of branded stuff comes from China. So it might appear cheaper but the delivery times could be greater than the same item offered by a local vendor.
    I'll only deal with suppliers who have better than 99% feedback over many transactions.
    If free delivery is offered. it's a "deal breaker" for me, beats having to go to a shop, find somewhere to park etc.
    If you've a Paypal account it's just a couple of clicks and the deal is done.
    If it's a more expensive item, like something I bought last Saturday which was around £100, Paypal will send you a text message with a security code, which you have to enter on the eBay webpage, to complete the sale. It's additional security. Paypal always send you an e-mail confirming everything you buy, even if it only cost a few pounds. More security.

I've never had a problem buying stuff on eBay or with Paypal in 10 years and well over 500 transactions, from a top of the range electric piano (from a music store chain) to a pack of light bulbs.
    I occasionally sell stuff on e-bay, a month ago I sold a saxophone mouthpiece. The money went straight into my Paypal account and I was able to immediately move it to my bank account.

eBay and Paypal charge a fee for stuff you sell, but the commission rates are about the same as you would be charged by an auction house.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

I rarely sell on ebay, and with this change, I'll say it won't happen anymore.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and they NOW want your SS#... the new admin has made it so when one gets to $600.00 in sales they are to be reported to the IRS... previously it was 200 items and $20,000 in sales before they reported you to the IRS and sent you a 1099?
    BIG DIFFERENCE...sad, huh?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've bought but never sold on ebay. Tried it once and ended up pulling the listing.

19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No difference to me. I already report my income, and never got a 1099 from eBay.

20. rockin_since_58

This sucks! I sold 2 pieces of audio gear that came to a little over $900.

Michael likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I hope I sell out or sell within $599 of items by end of the year. I only have about $1.2K of smaller items left. I been on ebay for 10 years and sold $40K of items. So, it has been good for me. Most of those sales were at the old 8% fee, now 12%. Before ebay I bought parts, tubes and audio gear for pennies on the dollar at Ham fests. I also found a few closed repair shops with a huge tube inventory of audio tubes. One was just for audio. And, found a garage full of NOS Military tubes. Seller refused to take more than $35, wanted his garage cleaned out. Filled up my truck twice with tarp keeping tubes from falling off the truck. It was stacked as high as the cab. Those were the 'fun' days.

slipkid, MC Rag and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

IIRC, the new $600.00 deal starts in 2022? It's online if interested you can check.

23. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

I won't give ebay my bank account info. Consequently, I have stopped selling on that site.

basie-fan, Lowrider75 and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

yes, it's OVER, DONE and that sucks...kept many above water even the smaller sellers that don't make a killing...extra stuff and food.

25. Michael

well they are not going to let you relist, list or sell anything on ebay after the date they gave to one to fess up your bank account and SS#...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.