Yamaha A-S801 Or Marantz PM8006?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I had both models in a secondary room....sold the Marantz.
    a) Yammy is 300 bucks cheaper than the Marantz
    b) Yammy is a 1 box solution and the built in DAC is quite good. You will need a DAC with the Marantz
    c) Yammy is a power house and will manhandle any kind of speaker out there including maggies. Marantz will go flaccid on you with difficult speakers.
    d) Modern Yammy's sound nothing like vintage Yammies (which were not to my taste). This specific Yammy is mature, meaty with adorable mids and ever so slightly rolled off highs to be a bit more forgiving on lousy recordings. This Marantz's voicing is the run of the mill V-curve pleaser for guys who are into that (usually coming fresh off the boombox :winkgrin:). Some much higher priced Marantz models deviate from this annoying voicing for sure.
    e) Yammy (in general) = wonderful sounding (for the price) from a humble brand with the engineering clout to bury a Marantz anyday (or any other brand out there really),
    Marantz (in general) = overall lousy deal for what it is, but gets more approval by some brand name snobs who think the name Marantz gave them more apparent audiophool street cred.
    :agree:
    Hope that helps!
    Now, let me get back to playing my wonderful piano made by Yamaha on this fine Friday morning!

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for that. I ordered Deoxit from Amazon and will give that a shot when it arrives tomorrow.

I prefer to buy from Amazon as I can spread over 12 payments interest free. If I can't solve the problem with Deoxit, I may go with BH Photo. I got the Vincent amp from Audio Advisor and they weren't very help when the problem first arose.

guestuser likes this.
  3. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

4. rockin_since_58

5. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I have never heard the Marantz but recently purchased an A-S801. I find the S801 to be a very capable IA with plenty of power, plentiful bass and excellent sound staging.

I chose the S801 for three reasons:
    1- It met my power requirements - minimum of 100W.
    2. I wanted to try streaming music and don't own a DAC. The S801 has a digital input and a capable DAC.
    3. Price. I had a budget to meet and the S801 was the best bang for the buck.

I have not tried the A-S801 phono stage yet, I use an external phone stage. The only things lacking on the S801 is proper bass management and no pre-outs. Neither of these were concerns - my sub has speaker level inputs/adjustable x-over and I currently have no need for pre-outs.

Good luck with what ever you decide upon.

johnny q and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Another nice feature on the A-S801 is the "loudness" dial. I find I'm able to really dial in the lower frequency range to my desire depending on what volume level I'm listening at. A different approach to "loudness" and I give it two thumbs up for functionality and effectiveness.

johnny q likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

to the original question definitely the yamaha. it is capable 220 watts per channel at 4 ohms and is 2 ohm stable meaning that the power supply is robust. even in a smaller room more power is beneficial. i do like the tone and smoothness of the marantz but at only 100 WPC at 4 ohms the reduced power will be missed compared to your Vincent.

aunitedlemon and rockin_since_58 like this.
  8. sluggobeast

sluggobeast Forum Resident

You can order it direct from Marantz. I took the plunge. My 50+ year old McIntosh amp and pre-amp are fading -- don't deliver like they did years ago (used to belong to my folks). I'll hold onto them with an eye to restore them, but figured I'd take a shot on the Marantz.
    I'm awaiting delivery of the PM8006. I've had a number of amps/receivers over the decades, and for the past 20+ years have been using 55-year-old McIntosh pre-amp and amp (once belonged to my folks) -- but it has faded over for years and has other issues. Delivers beautiful sound, but the volume has diminished and overall can't deliver what I'm looking for. I'll probably look to restore the tube equipment and will check out solid state again. I'd ordered from Marantz, which has a 60-day return policy. Hoping I'm satisfied.

guestuser likes this.
  9. rockin_since_58

I appreciate your input. Gonna try some Deoxit in the tube sockets tomorrow and see if it helps. The S801 is $200 to $300 less than the Marantz depending on color which is a plus. I don't need the digital capabilities of the Yamaha as a have a Denafrips Ares II which is most likely much better than what is in the Yamaha.

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have this Yamaha and I love it. I haven’t tried the phono stage. I’m very pleased with the DAC and the headphone amp.

(I think you may have bought my MoFi Studiophono a couple of years ago. I could be wrong. But if that was you, I hope you still enjoy it!)

11. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I have a Marantz PM8005 that replaced a 1976 Pioneer SX850. The sound character of the Marantz is very similar to the vintage Pioneer, and I mean that in a good way. My wife thinks the Marantz sounds better because it is "less grainy" but I can't hear the difference. Used almost exclusively to play LPs now through the built in phono. Highly recommend it.

Have not heard the Yamaha, so cannot compare.

12. rockin_since_58

I did buy a Mofi Studio Phono from someone here. I am now using a Hagerman Bugle.

CBackley likes this.
  13. brock

brock Forum Resident

If you decide on the Yahama, but don’t plan to use the built-in DAC, save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get the A-S701 instead. You’ll be buying the exact same thing. The only difference between the 801 and the 701 is the usb input and the upgraded DAC in the 801, which you don’t intend to use. Otherwise, the amps are identical. But ... the basic-DAC-outfitted 701 is $100-200 cheaper than the 801, and a $400-500 cheaper than the Marantz.

pressureworld and Mindhead1 like this.
  14. rockin_since_58

Since cleaning the pins on the tubes which were solid black with oxidation and cleaning the tube sockets with Deoxit, my amp has been rock solid for 2 weeks now.

brock, Bill Mac, Ntotrar and 3 others like this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

good to hear! I’m in the process of selling and buying a new house. I just packed my 801 up and probably won’t see it again for a couple of months. Shame you’re not closer to keep it warm!

ThorensSme and rockin_since_58 like this.
  16. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

17. rockin_since_58

The Vincent continues to be a problem. MD had an open box PM8006 so I took the plunge and ordered it today. Saved $300 off the regular price.

Bill Mac, james, Slippers-on and 6 others like this.
  18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Outstanding! Hope you like it as much as I like my PM8004.

Ntotrar and rockin_since_58 like this.
  19. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Nice, that vincent has been giving you far too much grief

rockin_since_58 and Ntotrar like this.
  20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Excellent! Here's to good luck with it!

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  21. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You got a good scotch? If so we can lift the glass when it comes in!:)

Ntotrar likes this.
  22. rockin_since_58

Will some Lagavulin 16 year old work?

LeBud and Slippers-on like this.
  23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Yes sir! Let us know when the Marantz come in and we will lift the glass! Nothing like getting new gear!

Ntotrar likes this.
  24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Amen!

Slippers-on likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

It is due to arrive next Tuesday. I get home about 5:30pm so it should be up and running by 6:00pm or so.

Ntotrar, Clonesteak and Slippers-on like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.