INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Yup, aggressive and vitriolic. I love it. In context of 1997 I’d wager they are indeed aimed straight at Oasis.

On a separate note.... Man, I had forgotten how awesome it is when the drum fill comes just before the guitar solo. You really feel the power of the song crest there. The solid drum sound just fills up the room and brings a sense of relief after the building tension of all the fast-paced lyrics. Is this the most words-per-minute of any song in their catalog? Then the guitar solo helps dissipate some of that tension and suddenly the song feels a little less angry and a little more joyous somehow.

2. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Interesting that we have a wider variety of like it/meh/don’t like it opinions on this song. I would’ve thought everyone would be on board with it.

I must acknowledge that the awkward blizzard of words coupled with the prominent female vocals are a bit of a hurdle though. I wouldn’t really want INXS doing more tracks like this one, but for my tastes this is fantastic song as a one-time thing. It’s a fine example in the long tradition of rock stars feuding through song lyrics. INXS telling off Oasis in song form is just perfect, right up there with “How Do You Sleep?” from Beatles lore, or Lynyrd Skynyrd replying to Neil Young’s “Southern Man” with “Sweet Home Alabama”.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I didn't forget, because it's completely new to me, but aside from the vocal aspect of the song, which is excellent from my perspective, though I understand why it may not appeal to some, the drum fill is the other highlight for me. It grabbed me instantly.

4. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

“Don’t Lose Your Head”
    So, this one pulls me in 2 opposite directions.

On the one hand, I appreciate what they’re trying to do with the urgency and in-your-face nature of the lead vocals set against the female backing vocals and hand claps (sorry @mark winstanley !). I like how the bass really moves the song along until we get to the break when the band really kicks in.

On the other hand, I can’t help but feel like this is what pop music sounds like on ALL CAPS – Michael, why are you yelling at me the whole song?! While I typically enjoy contrast in music, I don’t think there’s a strong enough melody to make the relentless, almost rap-like vocal delivery really come together with the gospel choir backing vocals. It’s almost like there’s 2 song ideas here overlaid on top of each other.

Some songs just sound like they’re trying too hard and maybe this is one of those for me. On the whole, I like it, but don’t love it. You can’t win ‘em all, I suppose.

P.S. Anyone else a fan of The Soup Dragons? This song’s female vocals and production have a serious Soup Dragons feel for me, particularly from their Hotwired album. Or is it just me?

5. mark winstanley

I know of them, but don't know them... so I'm no use there lol

David Jakubowski likes this.
  6. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Don't Lose Your Head on The Tonight Show, Jul 10, 1997:

Sadly, this for me would be the last time I would see Micheal performing live in any capacity.

7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

All credit to Michael, he's really trying to work this and giving 110%.

LOL at idiot Leno with his British accent, "Good work lads."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  8. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Sounds like a poor attempt at Scottish. Ha.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

If I’m not in the mood for this song, then the “yelling at me in ALL CAPS” aspect makes it hard to enjoy. But when I’m in the mood to hear it, this is not a problem - it’s one of the reasons why I want to hear it.

“Ignoreland” by REM on Automatic For The People is another song like that for me. When I’m in the mood for it, it’s practically the best song on the album. It’s a divisive track though, and I realize many people rank it near the bottom on that LP, with “Star Me Kitten”. Sometimes I like a good yell!

And yes, I agree with you about Soup Dragons. “I’m Free” has a mix on the single that’s pretty much a church choir style a cappella, and many of their tracks that I know from their hits have some aspect of this in their vocals.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Don't Lose Your Head's light r&b / soul / funk keyboard / acoustic guitar intro, doesn't even remotely prepare us for the upcoming intensified music or lyrical content in the bulk of the track. And interestingly enough, once we're hit with that power, much of the ethereal vibe from the 1st half almost evaporates and in the 2nd half, the main focus is on a harder rock feel, while retaining part of the funkiness of the intro, especially with Kirk's amazingly good solo (which easily rivals his top-notch solo from Devil Inside). All that, coupled with female backing vocalists whaling away during the just right moments, it fits together wonderfully. These are even more examples (not that more are needed) of how INXS' songwriting skills reign supreme. DLYH is classic INXS!

I dig how the Leadstation Solid Gold Mix nixes the harder rock elements, and fleshes out the r&b, soul & funk parts of the song. And the additional of horns to the mix is a welcome accompaniment.

If the Never Tear Us Apart acoustic mix would've been released on Kick instead of the original, I would enjoy it almost as much as the original. Too bad it's not longer, so as to include Kirk's solo...

Unsurprisingly, the '97 EW & NYT live versions are definitely superior to the studio versions. Just amazing! And the '97 IJAM & KTD (FDTM) live versions are pretty good too!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  11. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Ah, yes! “Ignoreland” is a great analog to “Don’t Lose Your Head”. Also not my favorite from Automatic, but not a song I dislike either. Ultimately, I think you’re right: mood will dictate how into songs like these I might be any given listen.

And thanks for letting me know I’m not totally nuts to hear some Soup Dragons in there!

12. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Don't Lose Your Head: Kicking off with a really cool scale from the keys, this songs kicks into gear with some gospel influence and lyrics delivered in an aggressive manner by Micheal. I can easily say that I actually like this track. I do recall some airplay during that summer and like the title track before, it disappeared from the airwaves. However, it still finds a home on my playlists, so it's not entirely forgotten.

13. mark winstanley

"Searching"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Elegantly Wasted
    Released
    22 September 1997
    Recorded 1997
    Genre Rock
    Length 4:05
    Label Mercury
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence, Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Bruce Fairbairn

"Searching" is the fourth single from the album Elegantly Wasted by INXS. It was never officially released although scheduled for the UK market. The song was written by Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farriss and recorded by the band in Dublin during the summer of 1996. It is also the final single to feature original lead vocalist Michael Hutchence, who died two months after the song was released.

CD Promo – MECP319 – Mercury/US
    1. Searching (Leadstation Radio Mix)
    2. Searching (LP version)
    CD Promo – INXCJ30 – Mercury/UK
    CD5 – INXCD30 – Mercury/UK (withdrawn)
    3. Searching (Alex Reece Drum and Bass Mix)
    4. Searching (Linslee Campbell R&B Mix)
    CD5 – INXD30 – Mercury/UK (withdrawn)
    1. Searching (Leadstation Funk Workout)
    2. Searching (Live in Aspen '97)
    3. Elegantly Wasted (Live in Aspen '97)
    4. Need You Tonight (Live in Aspen '97)
    CD5 – INXDD30 – Mercury/UK (withdrawn)
    1. Searching (Leadstation Main Mix)
    2. Searching (Bosch Mix)
    3. I'm Just a Man (acoustic live – Radio One, 20 May 1997)
    4. Never Tear Us Apart (acoustic live – Radio One, 20 May 1997)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentle electric piano sounds runs through the chord progression. I really like the bass that comes in.... I'm not sure if it is a synth bass, or an effected stick, but I'm sure one of you can tell me. The kick comes in as a really cool pulse ....
    It doesn't spoil the song, but I don't like the biscuit tin snare drum sound.
    Again Michael's vocals come in really strong ....

I am searching
    I am not alone
    I am searching
    Please give me some...

Have we lost direction
    Washed our hands of blood
    I'm in need of sensation
    Is there more to this love

Saw a mother screaming
    She had lost control
    Of what she once believed in
    And she was not alone
    Oh yeah

If you could face the pain
    And I could do the same
    It would be clear tomorrow
    But will it start
    But will it start again

I am searching
    I am not alone
    I am searching
    Please show me some...

Saw a mother screaming
    She had lost control
    Of what she once believed in
    And she was not alone

Have we lost direction
    Washed our hands of blood
    I'm in need of sensation
    Is there more to this love

If you could face the pain
    And I could do the same
    It would be clear tomorrow
    But will it start
    But will it start again

I am searching
    I am not alone
    I am searching
    Please show me some...
    I am searching
    I am not alone
    I am searching
    Please show me some (LOVE)

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Searching lyrics © Warner-tamerlane Publishing Corp., Singso Ww Music, Chardonnay Investments Ltd, Ixat Music, Inc.

I like this lyric. the idea of keeping faith in adversity, and becoming content with the fact that life will involve pain, and we need to just keep moving forward, and searching.

This song builds along its path really nicely. The bass comes in really nicely in the second verse, and adds a slick and smooth groove to the feel. the instrumentation builds up.
    We get a lovely backing vocal come in on the chorus and it gives a kind of soul/gospel feel to the track, and the rhythm guitar adds to the groove nicely.

Michael really nails this vocal again, and he seems to really connect to this track.

For me this is a nice reflective, sort of centre point for the album... It works well. I just wish they had done something different with that snare.

14. mark winstanley

Aria Awards

The guys previewed the song and album on the Aria (Australian Recording Industry Association) Awards in September 1996.
    The rim shot on the live performance works well. It's a good performance all round, and Michael nails it.

15. mark winstanley

Leadstation Main Mix

This is interesting ... it kind of sounds like a seventies arrangement.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

Leadstation radio mix

A slightly shorter edit.

17. mark winstanley

Alex Reece Drum and Bass Mix

This really doesn't work for me ... I guess it's interesting, but all the things that make the song are pretty much gone

18. mark winstanley

Linslee Campbell R&B mix

..... urggghhh

19. mark winstanley

Leadstation Funk Workout

This is ok, but it sucks the dynamics and the emotion out of the song ... obviously in my opinion.

20. mark winstanley

There is also something called the Bosch mix, but I can't find that....

21. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Searching: 4/5. Soulful. Kinda reflects the inner turmoil to me he was going through. Now that you have brought up the snare Mark, I can't unhear it. :cool: Like the wah-wah guitar weaving in out, hinting a bit of the mid-70s Stones. Michael's vocal strength -- strong yet tender. One feels his pain.

22. mark winstanley

lol, I'm sorry ... I love drums, and they could have picked a better sound :)
    Later in the song the rhythm guitar blocks it out, and saves it for me

Bluepicasso likes this.
  23. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Searching

A poignant song considering the lyrical content and time of release. The ARIA performance really highlights the emotion Hutchence attached to the song. Sadly he looks quite ill here. I think the show took place the day of or day after the infamous Smarties drug bust in London which may go some way to explaining the intensity of his delivery.

Personally I prefer the Leadstation remix of the song. The band had spoken about giving it a UK release after Michaels death but for reasons unknown this never happened.

24. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Searching

I like the way that INXS has morphed into a bit of an R&B outfit for portions of this album. I haven’t heard them emphasize this aspect too much in prior albums, though t was always there to a certain degree. I hear this as an Otis Redding song, but maybe the use of falsetto pushes it a little more into Prince territory? The single remix known as “Leadstation Radio Mix” plays this up and makes it even better. I like the “slowjam” aspect of this song. Strings and horns, oh yeah. This is a nice centerpiece, along with tomorrow’s song.

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The bassline drives Searching, but Michael’s vocals don’t sell the song; I think he’s oversinging it. It’s a fairly simple song (and quite dark IMO) and doesn’t need the gymnastics he brings. It’s a rare misstep because I’m usually a big fan of his singing.