What's the deal with selling things on Ebay these days?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ls35a, Apr 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did you sell 20,000 dollars in sales and 200 items on ebay?

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

There is no way eBay will not allow relisting items. They would lose millions of dollars of fees.

3. Michael

Hi my friend, you are wrong... you will be banned form selling on ebay if you do not comply with your bank account, home address, and SS#...look it up.

4. Michael

IMO, I think ebay is going to lose millions of small sellers...when this goes into law...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Who said I will not comply? I did not read that in your post. eBay is safe to give info, hell they already have my SS. Adding bank tracking and routing is no big deal. And, no one hacked ebay for oover 10 years, I believe.. They are likely more secure than Gov't sites.

6. Michael

well that's great...you have no problem with the $600.00 in sales figure...what I meant was if ONE per say does not comply...not you specifically...I don't know what you do or don't do on ebay...I was speaking in general...dig? Cool...
    one has to comply! or no selling on ebay!

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

They will lose a lot. Guess 10-15%. People do not like change and I am sick and tired of all the layout & page changes performed every few weeks for the last 6 months. Before that, no changes for many years. Just to view items for sale, it now takes many clicks and wont show all like before. It is a bitch just finding total dollar amount of items for sale. A real mess now.

slipkid, Dave, Greg Gee and 1 other person like this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No, I sold much less. I reported the income, like I do every year, because I followed the rules. I didn't need eBay to send me a 1099 to do so.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

yes it's very sad they had to screw up a nice platform for the small guy/gal to make a little extra money from the things they no longer want or need...what blows my mind how the present admin changed it from 20,000 to 600.00! that's crazy!!!!

slipkid likes this.
  10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Again, your putting words in my mouth. Who said I would not comply. I have a BIG problem with the $600 limit. I sold $40K of items on ebay, paid no taxes. But, fortunately I only have $1.2K of items left and if I sell $601 by end of year, I am good.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  11. Michael

gotcha. : ) I follow the rules as well. : )

12. Michael

HUH??? no I'm not...geez, we're done. I don't know where you are coming from? I am just trying to be helpful...leave me be, please...points have been made and points have been taken...

13. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Fascists! Ebay that is.

14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I still make the occasional eBay purchase of something I can't find elsewhere - but only as a "Buy It Now" or "Make An Offer." I gave up bidding on items over a decade ago - after having "won" hundreds of auctions. It's been even longer since I sold anything on eBay. With so many US sellers refusing to ship to Canada, years ago I created a US eBay account and joined a mail forwarding service - for use in buying items that I really really wanted.

15. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

All online sales venues, not just ebay, will be required to report members' sales exceeding $600. Sell $601 worth of stuff on discogs in 2022? The IRS will hear about it, straight from discogs.

This is all due to a stipulation in the new Rescue Act.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This is not a policy from the new administration, it's an IRS policy put into effect a few years ago. I have to send out about 40 1099 forms every year to the IRS for sellers in my store who make more than $600 a year.

slipkid, riverrat and Grootna like this.
  17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

The reality is a lot of payment services want bank account info now - take Venmo for example. Only a matter of time for E-Bay to do it.
    Now they can directly withdraw fees from your bank account, instead of 'charging you' via PayPal, and hence a credit card.

I remember the days of using Postal Money orders to pay sellers on E-Bay - long time ago....

slipkid and Dave like this.
  18. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

If you have sold ANYTHING on EBAY in the past 20+ years you DID give your Bank Account info already which is necessary to use with Paypal. Nothing new here.

slipkid, Grootna and R. Totale like this.
  19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

No it's not. You can link a credit card to PayPal and they charge that. I never linked a bank account to PayPal.

uzn007 and Dave like this.
  20. Billion$Baby

Then you obviously have never SOLD anything on EBAY otherwise PAYPAL wouldn't be able to transfer the money to your bank account.

21. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I've sold tons on Ebay. The money simply goes into a PayPal account, where you can then cash it out as a check or link it to a bank account for transfer. Or use it to make purchases elsewhere. Ebay is simply eliminating this altogether now by requiring bank accounts.

slipkid and uzn007 like this.
  22. Billion$Baby

Well aware how EBAY works. Have over 30,000 Feedbacks since 1998...and more than 2X that amount in actual transactions. You stated earlier you didn't give anybody your bank account details...well YES you did. Its linked to your Paypal account so they have your info.

23. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

PayPal has my credit card - if that's what you consider an account. But I never gave them my actual bank info. I would think I know if I did.
    I simply cashed out with a mailed check when I wanted to. They never required a linked bank account. You might have chosen to link this, but it was never a requirement - at least, not when I joined PayPal in 2000.

Dave likes this.
  24. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I can no longer create new listings, because I did not sign up for Managed Payments.

However, I have older non-audio Buy It Now listings that still get relisted automatically. One of them sold yesterday, and I still got paid through PayPal.

25. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

When I signed up for PayPal in 2003, they REQUIRED a linked bank account, so I set up an account at a different bank. It's still on my account, but I withdrew the balance several years ago.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.