The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Dude, give it a rest. You’re on an audio forum where we routinely discuss tiny minutiae of things that can change the sounds of our systems. The majority of people here believe that different materials result in different sound.

For some reason, you don’t. Fine. But stop insisting that we’re all crazy because we can here differences between different materials.

I mean, do you really, honestly believe that a stainless steel tonearm, a magnesium tonearm, and a wood tonearm all sound the same? Do you really think that’s true?? Because if you do, as I mentioned before, this hobby may not be for you.

Jodimilo and Eigenvector like this.
  2. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

As you can see above, that is not what I said - note the word can.

Do I really need to list all the variations and yes, compromises between needle drops?

Big Blue likes this.
  3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Beautifully stated - in your tertiary language language I might add :)

This hobby needs more of this thinking....

4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Autocorrect helps a lot ;)

5. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I think my posts are a relevant counter-point to the "every difference is audible" arguments that abound. If you disagree, check the number of likes some of my posts get. People come here to read about gear before spending large sums of $; I think many of those people might find my perspective helpful.

And to be clear, I do NOT think you are "crazy" because you hear differences any more than I believe people who report symptom relief from a placebo in a clinical trial are crazy. I believe you are human and are influenced by expectation biases.

Big Blue, patient_ot and MusicNBeer like this.
  6. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I'm sure they have different sounds, but I highly doubt you or most people could consistently pick out which was which without seeing them. I also highly doubt everyone would agree which ones sound 'better'.

Obsessing over tonearm materials is not a requirement to enjoy this hobby btw.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

First off, your posts are liked by the same few people who share your bizarre view that all things sound the same over and over again. I’d hardly call that a ringing endorsement of your opinions.

Second, not sure how your opinions are helpful in an audio forum where people like trying different gear. You’re basically saying that people don’t need to try different things because it all sounds the same.

Third, I don’t have expectation bias. What I do have is an understanding of science and physics which prove that different materials have different sounds. I also have my ears, which confirm the fact that different materials sound different. No amount of preaching by you can change science and physics. If YOU can’t hear differences, good for you. You’ll save a lot of money. But understand that you are basically contradicting science in constantly saying materials don’t affect the sound.

No one is obsessing over tonearm materials. I’m just showing how baseless ODS123 opinion is.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. Pali Gap

Actually nothing I said disputes any of this. I said I doubt you could pick out 'which arm makes which sound' without seeing them lol.
    But it's blatantly obvious how intelligent you know you are.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  9. Erocka2000

Aren’t you the person who wants the look and functionality of the 1500C but with the motor, plinth, and platter of the 1200G because the materials used in the 1200G are better than those in the 1500C? Seems weird you’re now on the side of “materials don’t matter.” So which is it? Do they or don’t they make a difference?

10. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This review is very close to the differences I found between my Pioneer PLX-1000 and my Technics SL-1210GR.

However, since (a) I was really excited with the GR and (b) I found hard to compare since I had considerable time between hearing one then the other (had to replace the TT, move the headshell from one to another, realign the cartridge since the overhang is different then rebalance it, I'll never know how objective my comparison really was.

Nevertheless, I sold the PLX-1000 and kept the GR.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I am my own worst critic/enemy. At times it holds me back. I try to hold myself to a higher standard than I do others, not always successfully. If you 'lie' to yourself you are likely deceiving everyone. Hifi should be fun, interesting and never a source of division, lol.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
    Albert Einstein

RobbieBear and Hardcore like this.
  12. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Those two statements are not consistent. If you truly understood science then you would understand the need for validity testing. The scientific method acknowledges that expectation and other biases are omnipresent. Nobody can just wish or will them away

nomad709 and MusicNBeer like this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Personally I have no problems with blind testing.
    But tables should be tested in analog, not digitized.

oldergoat and Big Blue like this.
  14. Pali Gap

I reposted my comment above, in case you forgot what I actually said. I'm not ignorant to different materials and their qualities. I simply questioned your ability to consistently identify which 'sound' is produced by each different tonearm without seeing them. That comment still stands.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

And, yet, 60% of this forum exists, just the same! :laugh:

ubiknik likes this.
  16. Erocka2000

I've used the stock 1200G tonearm and a Jelco TK-850S on the same table with the same cartridge and the Jelco sounded much better because it was made of steel and a much better match for my Koetsu than the magnesium 1200G stock arm was. I guess I was just hearing things.

Also, if you're not ignorant to different material qualities, but also think most people couldn't consistently identify which sound is produced, why won't you just buy the 1500C? Based on your reasoning, there should be no need for you to get the 1200G or a fictionalized 1200G that looks like the 1500C and has an auto-lift tonearm.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Oh, yes, I’d love to blind test a 1000R and a 1200G against a GR!

Who is going to bring them over to my house and do all the setup and controlling of everything? :laugh:

aorecords likes this.
  18. Pali Gap

Simple, because I don't need a built-in phono nor do I want the 2M Red. So you can stop mentioning the 1500C in your posts lol.
    And again, for the last time, I question your ability to identify which tonearm material is being used in a blind test. That's all.

19. Erocka2000

Question my ability all you want. Still doesn't mean you're right.

And btw, you can now buy the 100C, since it's essentially a 1500C without the phono preamp cartridge.

20. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

It’d be interesting to hear a comparison using the same cartridge, from 100c all the way to 1000r.

The differences in design would become really apparent at higher volumes, as the G and 1000R have many features that enable them to perform without feedback.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. Oelewapper

I'll do it! :righton:
    If you're paying - up front.

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ha! I thought it was implied that was the primary obstacle! :laugh:

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. Oelewapper

Aww too bad, it was worth a try :p

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’d just have the SL-1000R at this point and not even be spending time on this discussion, if that was a possibility! ;)

patient_ot and Oelewapper like this.
  25. Oelewapper

Yep, if I were to win a lottery, the 1000R would be the first thing to buy!

Big Blue, SeeDeeFirth and patient_ot like this.