It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

A.R. Rahman could.

So, I can count on you as an investor then?

arley likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Turns out, there's already been one Bollywood version of West Side Story called Josh, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai. But as far as I know, it doesn't use the same songs.

3. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

Spielberg will do a great job on
    the visuals , but I can't see myself sitting through this . The original is a classic and for me, does not need a remake - it may be a blockbuster for younger viewers though. Cute touch having Rita Moreno in the film. Still it's not for me; especially b/c it's a grueling story.

Wizard of Oz
    Gone with the Wind
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Dr Strangelove
    ..................( name your own here )

Doesn't matter how old the movie is , mho :
    when a film is a classic , let it be.

PS I have been watching old Sherlock Holmes movies in recent months and they far surpass any remake I've seen.
    The original- with Basil and Nigel as the indelibly realized protagonists - is the classic - it's elementary, my dears .

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Spielberg’s never did a western.
    Remake ?
    What about .. How The West Was Won.

5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Does Spielberg want to do a western? I know that Marty is currently working on a western and they are saying it'll probably be the last of it's kind. I do know that this idea of doing a musical has been a bit of a goal for Steven for the past decade at least and I guess he just settled on West Side Story.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Judging by the cars and props, the movie takes place in 1961. I'd be hard-pressed for them to have a good reason for a "funky" treatment for any of the classic showtunes.

longdist01 and alexpop like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

With West Side Story, Spielberg finally was able to do a full-fledged musical. He's already done war movies, ghost stories, science fiction, big dramas, historical biographies, broad comedy... but Steven hasn't done a Western yet.

8. 40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle

40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle Forum Resident

There are two "original scores". Bernstein's jazzier one for a stage pit, and Irwin Kostal's lush one for a full orchestra, used in the film.

alexpop likes this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The musical numbers would be amazing.

Rooster_Ties and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. ralphb

Or a gay couple. There was one in the Broadway revival, they were Shark members.

Rooster_Ties and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. ralphb

I really don't think this will surpass the original film on any level, even with Spielberg and Kushner at the helm.

brownie61, guitargal, GreggF and 2 others like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The gay Romeo & Juliet thing has been done. The gay thing went over in the late 60's. It is like 2019's Booksmart. Nobody cares, nobody went, female director and all.

The Academy awards are sinking faster than the Titanic...

13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I enjoy those as well, although they are a bit schizophrenic, as the original Fox films are set (properly) in the Victorian England of Doyle, while the later Universal films were staged against the backdrop of World War II. No doubt the updating of them to the 1940's was done to save on the budget for costumes and staging, but having Holmes and Watson chasing Nazis against the backdrop of The Blitz is/was a bit disconcerting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  14. 40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle

It's hard to get excited about the movies when nobody was allowed to go to the movies.

Plus nearly all of the Best Picture nominees were either downbeat stories of suffering, or perceived (some fairly, some unfairly) as playing to a limited demographic:

Nomadland - homelessness
    Promising Young Woman - rape
    Sound Of Metal - deafness
    The Father - dementia
    Judas And The Black Messiah - a "Black" film
    Minari - non-English
    Mank - director's vanity project; Hollywood-does-Hollywood; black & white
    The Trial Of The Chicago 7 - courtroom drama with a nearly-exclusively white male cast
    (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - most acclaimed film not nominated for BP) - another "Black" film

Also notice what's missing that was present last year's BP noms:
    Robert DeNiro, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Leo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Emma Watson, Joaquin Phoenix, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Scarlett Johansson.

Big stars, mostly in larger-than-life roles. Sure folks like Daniel Kuluuya and Amanda Seyfried are "getting there", and Frances McDormand and Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins and Chadwick Boseman are in that rarified air of "great performance/great box office", but that's four instead of last year's thirteen.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bring back Ricky Gervais. :)

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

One of the All-time greatest film soundtracks... ever!

Jerk The Handle, guitargal and ralphb like this.
  17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

In the trailer, which character is the blonde, crying woman seen briefly in one closeup shot?

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Well, most of the people who saw these did so because they were available on streaming services.

None of them appear to be movies that the general public would pay money to see in movie theaters anyway.

They had greater exposure being available on streaming services. Not that the general public watched them there either.

But these are the type movies of movies that the Academy salivates over...

When it comes right down to it, the critical success of a movie should not rest on the "star power" of its casting.

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

True, but the "star power" was needed for the Oscar show itself.

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“More finger-snapping in Alley 2 needed”!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  21. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I just overall question both the need and wisdom of remaking this.

Spielberg has been on a losing streak for a long time now, I can’t see this returning him to glory.

The original is just so iconic what could he possibly improve beyond sets etc? Even that’s a stretch the palette of the original is outstanding

I dunno Steve .....

22. 40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle

I'm guessing Graziella (Riff's girlfriend) played by Paloma Garcia Lee.

[​IMG]

Raf likes this.
  23. 40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle

Actors of Puerto Rican descent, 1961: 1 (Moreno, who had to wear skin darkening makeup herself to "match" the other PR characters)
    Actors of Puerto Rican descent, 2021: 20

Chris DeVoe and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

He's not on a losing streak. RP1 was half a billion worldwide, more than triple its budget and his biggest gross in 10 years, and got good reviews. The Post got a lot of award noms, great reviews and did almost $200 million worldwide, a very good result for that kind of movie. Before that he had the flop BFG, but then Bridge of Spies and Lincoln were before that, both similar successes as The Post was. So 4 successes out of 5 isn't a losing streak by any measure.

I think that West Side Story probably isn't seen that much by younger people these days. I think it's become more dated than some other "classic" movies have. I doubt people get a real "wow" factor from watching it now. Spielberg can add a "wow" factor that will give it a more modern feel, despite still being a period piece. I think there's room for improvement in the singing, dancing, acting and cinematography. The original still has the problem of a dubbed singing voice for a lead star, which is something people just don't want to see anymore. Milli Vanilli killed that from ever being acceptable creatively again. It's now a semi-scandal whenever any singer is caught giving a performance to "playback."

As for the idea of remaking bad movies, that usually only happens if they change the title and don't advertise it as a remake. So their status as remakes tends to go unnoticed.

Chris DeVoe and P(orF) like this.
  25. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Ready Player One was not a good movie

Lincoln was tedious only saved by DDL

The Post meh

Bridge of Spies, that was a good movie I will concede that one.

But in all honesty, none of these achieved Spielberg’s once great highs, they don’t have that magic and wonder he used to crank out so effortlessly it seemed.

Still waiting on his late career masterpiece. Hasn’t happened yet and I don’t think remaking West Side Story is going to be it, either.