Do you haggle over price on Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hfarrior3, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ... Thread Starter

In the years I've been buying off Discogs I've always just paid the price the seller has listed. However, I've noticed that some sellers have a 'Make An Offer' option. Has anyone used this? I recently bought about 4 used albums from one seller and almost asked if they would knock about $5 off the total but I didn't want to be rude.

I always try to buy from brick-and-mortar stores on Discogs, and always viewed the site as an online store. However, maybe I'm thinking of it wrong. Maybe I should treat is as one big record show where sellers are willing to deal.

Does anyone here regularly just make sellers offers and see what they will ultimately take?

2. I never have haggled on Discogs -I'm interested in the feedback you get here too!

hfarrior3 likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I always take advantage of a seller's MAO option.
    Gone as high as 15% off, as low as 10% off.
    Some are dull as dirt, some are ready to dicker and negotiate, and have a personality that makes me smile.

They wouldn't have the option if they weren't willing to entertain an offer. Jump in, speak up !

4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I've used "Make an Offer" a few times. I've never haggled on a price where "Make an Offer" wasn't enabled.
    Depends entirely on the seller.

Simon A, Dave, E.Baba and 1 other person like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've done it on eBay but not Discogs. With Discogs I just find a price I'm willing to pay and do it. However, if someone gives the "Make an Offer" option, that means they should be willing to entertain the offer, so there's nothing wrong or offensive about it. I would just calculate anything from 5% to 15% and see if it sticks. The worst they can say is no.

Dave, E.Baba and Pete Puma like this.
  6. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Both on ebay and Discogs if there is a "Make An Offer' option, I always go for it.

Generally it's something I'm already interested in, at a price that is already reasonable. I don't use MOA to get something down to price point I can live with.

In that regard, I usually round down and try to save a few bucks, maybe equal to the cost of shipping or something.

7. hfarrior3

I will say that I actually did try the 'Make An Offer' option once and the seller responded that his price was firm. Made me think why did he even make that an option if he wasn't going to deal. I've never sold on Discogs so maybe sellers could chime in with their thoughts.

hobbes4444 and Dave like this.
  8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Always.

Unless listed price is a real bargain and I am afraid someone else will snatch it first.

9. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

I always look for the "make offer" options and give it a go first before paying the asking price. I find many of these sellers are interested in moving the product and generating cash flow without being as concerned about the value. I've saved quite a bit this way. I don't offer something ridiculous, but for example I might offer $35-40 for a $50 LP, etc.

Dave, hfarrior3 and uzn007 like this.
  10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I especially use it if the seller has multiple things I want - I’ll make an offer on each (generally, the more I buy the larger the discount I’ll shoot for)
    Then immediately send a message letting them know I’ve submitted offers on multiple items & if accepted, please combine into one order.

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I couldn't say I haggle but if the seller offers the opportunity to make an offer I most certainly will unless the disc is something I have had difficulty in finding and I feel the price is right I will simply make the buy.

12. hfarrior3

I missed an opportunity to do this just the other day. I forgot to mention that the seller in my original post did have the make an offer option. I just ignored it because that's what a normally do. I think I'm going to start trying to take advantage when I see that option from now on though.

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yes, unless I think the item will sell quickly and already seems like a great deal.

14. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

One thing about Discogs offers that should always be kept in mind - you only get one shot. So if the offer is rejected, that's it, no more, unlike ebay.

What makes a lot of sense is simply sending the seller a message and asking what kind of offer works for them - then if it's good for both people, go ahead and officially submit it.

15. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Only sometimes if they have the Make An Offer option, otherwise no....that would be rude in my opinion.
    They set a price and you either want to pay that or you don't...

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Same here!

If it is a $10 item, I will ask for a dollar off. So far it has always been accepted.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This might be (not 100% sure as I changed my settings years ago) the default that the seller needs to disable in their settings.

I am similar to most posters in this thread, I'll make a reasonable offer if the seller has it enabled, if the price is very good (pops up for the first time in the nightly wantlist email) I'll just buy it outright. A huge part of my want list is just common in print items.

The best was after adding 3 or 4 classical box sets and checking out with a brick and mortar music store in NJ that were new to Discogs, they had a $250 AP gold CD reissue Thelonious Monk box set and I just asked what the best price they'd accept and they said they could do $100 if I paid through PayPal. Never in a million years would I have made an offer that low for something and was pretty stunned by it! So I guess it never hurts to ask though I rarely do this for items that don't have make offer enabled. I just thought I'd ask in this instance as they were already going to be packing things up for me. My best guess is this was when everything went into lock down and they needed the money for expenses.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  18. tombayz

tombayz Hey, can I get some bass?

Someone wanted a buck for a R.E.M. Monster CD, I offered 82 cents and got declined :p

hfarrior3 and MattG like this.
  19. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Agree on both of these. 10-15% is a reasonable offer. Sometimes worth it just to cover shipping and tax. But if the price is already good and you want it, no need to wait for them to decide and possibly lose it.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have used it now and then on Discogs and pitch for 10-12% off. I would not pitch higher than 15% off unless the item has been listed for a while. The same tactic on ebay has not proven nearly as successful, even when the seller is listing more than one of the item for sale.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  21. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Don't use discogs that often to buy, just for reference. Most of the sellers there are on other platforms also.

I like eBay make offers, has worked out well for me. I hardly ever do auctions.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  22. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’ve gone it. Bought the 45rpm ORG of Jeff Buckley’s ‘Grace’ last year for £170. Think it was listed for around £200. No regrets.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If the seller has made the option available there's nothing wrong with making an offer.

Just be warned, Discogs gives sellers an eternity to decide on whether the offer is acceptable to them or not. [Eternity = 5 days on Discogs].

Unlike eBay, sellers can't make a counter offer. They can only accept or decline.

A buyer can only make an offer on an item once. If the offer is declined and the buyer wants to make another offer then they have to wait for the seller to relist the item.

The process is clunky and stupid and probably dates back to the time when sellers were mostly collectors who rarely logged into the account to check if anyone bought anything and in no way resembles a process that is acceptable in modern world of commerce. IMO of course. : )

I've used it in the past but sometimes I've just messaged the seller and asked them if they would take $X and if they said yes, I could then make the offer for them to accept.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If I click the Make an Offer box, 15% off is almost always an instant yes from my end. I mean, if you're not willing to dicker that amount, why click the box?

LordThanos1969 and black sheriff like this.
  25. shades

shades Forum Resident

If there is a 'make an offer' option I typically give it a shot. Some accepted, some declined.
    Earlier this week, saw a new listing for Dylan Bootleg Series 4 on Vinyl, no bids yet, but had a 'best offer' option.
    I offered $50, and was stunned when it was accepted. Fingers crossed its as advertised when it arrives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.