'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Looks very cool.
    I expect a post with picture of you doing this:

[​IMG]

2. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

If there's nothing else...

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmm Katanga delivered today to my place. Coolbeans :cool:

4. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

The public is out here buying avant garde bicycles yet Joe Harley thinks Tony Williams' "Spring" is too out-there for a TP release?! Madness I say!

(Congrats on the bike -- looks like a beauty.)

5. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I wish I could like this twice.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Jazz/Blues/Rock (okay with a little Psychedelic on top)

But when mixed properly like my original Santa Marie pressing of "Bitches Brew" I found in near mint shape for a whopping $8.00 several years ago, well I'm just saying... This version is an absolute beast!

7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Went browsing at my favorite record store on Thursday and ran across a copy of the Tone Poet, I Can See Your House From Here with John Scofield and Pat Matheny and snagged it and while I was looking I also ran across a Pure Pleasure pressing of Sarah Vaughan's Sarah Sings Soulfully for twenty bucks. I had it in my hand but put it back thinking I should probably find out a little more about the album so when I got home with the Tone Poet I looked it up on Acoustics Sounds web sight read their synopsis and seeing their $35 price decided it would be a worth while purchase. Well I went back for it yesterday and remembering that this store does a major restocking on the last Friday of the month I had another look through the bins and what to my wondering eyes I come across Hasaan Ibn Ali - Metaphysics. We had just been discussing Hasaan in this thread recently and I stumbled upon a favorable review of this album on the internet and was intrigued. Naturally I couldn't make up my mind immediately do to the $50 price tag so I took home the Sarah Vaughan and went to the AS website. I read their synopsis and checked the price of $45 and noticed that even though this was just recently released it was already on backorder. Knowing this record was mastered from recently discovered acetates I had to do a little research to see if the sound could possibly be up to the price they were asking at the record store but subsequently perusing an All Music review and rereading portions of the internet review I previously read where they praised the record for the performances captured there I decided to make yet another trip back into town and pick this one up. [​IMG]

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I was trying to figure out why that record is fifty bucks yesterday.

Christopher B likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My impression apart from packaging is Tone Poet sound slightly better. I'm sure this is the difference between them being pressed and plated at RTI rather than Optimal who do the 80 and Classic series Blue Notes. Also far more pressing issues with product from Optimal but Tone poet haven't been perfect either. Based on a limited number of titles purchased compared with the Jazz experts on here.

11. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

Couldn’t you just research them on your phone so you didn’t have to keep going back

spindly and Preston like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think he left quite a legacy considering the size of his discography and the record at least from it's physical presentation was well produced. I don't plan on listening to it until Monday but it's completely possible it'll turn out to be a gem much like The Max Roach Trio Featuring Hasaan.

mktracy likes this.
  13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I suppose I could have but I also had to think about it and I'm really not all that tech savvy and keep my phone in my pocket in the off position. I really only carry it in the rare event of an emergency.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  14. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I take my phone and use it profusely when in record shops. Before we had smart phones, there was usually one record every trip that I put back in the bins that I kicked myself about later. It's always the ones that get away that you remember ... :)

Aeryn Sun, ryu, LaBowe and 4 others like this.
  15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Interestingly the ones I put back are always the pricier ones that the casual shopper usually tends to pass by based on my experience so if I don't wait to long they're waiting for me on my return trip.

Preston likes this.
  16. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Me too.. it gets a bit stressful in the shops at times, but I do feel that my purchases from earlier years would have been quite a bit better if I had access to allmusic.com, discogs and sometimes even this forum while looking for used records back in those days :D

Preston, scotti, timzigs and 4 others like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Its Sunday, the official start of new Tone Poets week. Looking forward to both One Flight Up and Passing Ships, but since I already have a Cisco of the Dexter Gordon, the Andrew Hill is the one I'm ready for the most.

What a weekend of music I'm enjoying (can you believe it) with the arrival of my 2 LP mono version of Who Sell Out, what a fun one that is and then yesterday my MoFi 45 of Nilsson Schmilsson landed and holy smokes did they do an awesome job with it. $45 for a record that rivals the One Steps.

Simply crazy how fast these are selling out these days. 4000 copies gone just like that with no official announcement up front.

18. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Duke Ellington Money Jungle is back in print! Grab it before it sells out again if your interested...

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes, I have that Cisco pressing of Dexter too, and look forward to the Andrew Hill.

Acoustic Sounds sent out emails to their subscribers offering reservations for low-numbered copies of the UHQR 33RPM Kind of Blue. They are $100 and the email says it will be limited to 25,000 copies. I am getting one copy for myself. I'm still sitting on my low-number copy of UHQR Aqualung. I need to post that for sale soon.

Otherwise, I haven't been listening to my stereo a whole lot lately. Weather has been so nice, I've been either out cycling, or sitting outside on my back deck streaming Qobuz/Roon on a Naim Mu-so Qb2.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Since the wife and I talk to our family and friends from St. Louis quite often, I knew the weather has been nice. Awesome you have been out enjoying rides on your bike.

I think its cool that AS offers subscribers early buys, but I also think they should open that up to active customers that buy on a regular basis from them. No doubt it would complicate things, but someone like myself that spends much $$$ with them and I'm sure there are many of you here that do as well, I would think might feel the same way. No complaints, but it would be nice.

Elofan, Crazysteve, indyalden and 4 others like this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

It's not really an early buy, just a chance to reserve a low-numbered copy. Subscribers won't receive anything before the official release date. I guess it matters if you care about serial numbers. I don't really.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I know that but you at least get to preorder early. That's what I was referring to (worded wrong). I did get lucky and got #117/4000 of Nilsson Schmilsson, so that was cool.

23. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Do you have an original copy of Nilsson Schmilsson? Mine sounds amazing, so I'm wondering if I should go for the MoFi.

AnalogJ and scotti like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes and it's in great shape. I agree the original sounds fantastic (listened to it the night before my 45 arrived), but the MoFi 45 is another listening experience all together. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say it rivals some of the One Steps, it sounds ever so good! It bests the original easily...

25. Josquin des Prez

With a limit of 25k copies, I think we'll all be able to order KoB without too much problem if we want one. :)

I had the option to early order three copies (only one guaranteed to be low numbered), but I just ordered the one I want for myself. I'm starting to scale back on record purchases anyway (not to mention I just spent $2k on Apple devices). I saw the next round of the Acoustic Sounds series and I just plan to cherry pick from that. I don't have any interest in the Ella Christmas album, for example, and I have 45s of others I never listen to.

scotti likes this.