“Night Court” sequel, starring John Larroquette, in the works at NBC.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 16, 2020.

1. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There were episodes, now and then, where Dan would redeem himself, and reveal he had a conscience (no matter how much he tried to hide it). The one where he willingly lost a job opportunity to warn Christine about a lecherous colleague hitting on her comes to mind. And the show where he saves Roz's life is a great one.

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Exactly what I was thinking. I love it when you have a reprehensible character that occasionally shows they have some good in them.

With some good writing, this could work. I think John and Melissa Rauch could be a good team.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

An old saw that has never changed.If just thinking about the beginning of film,leading to TV-moving pictures, two world wars a Great Depression,all of the plagues and the New York Jets-when didn't the world need a good laugh? A kazillion choices in a home designed for comfort. Another old saw_He who laughs. lasts.

John B Good, 905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No idea what the point of your post was. Very few people from the 1930s are living today so obviously most people did not go through the Great Depression or see the beginning of film nor the transition to TV.

There's cancel culture at work, and some people who recreationally look for material to be artificially offended by which are 2 recent phenomena. Aside from that, 2020 has been especially difficult for most people, far more than any other year in decades... so no idea where this weird denial is coming from but OK...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Spastica and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Why are so many people here outraged about outrage that hasn’t happened? Perhaps their outrage is the real problem

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

wow, someone who actually understood. Thank you, @swandown

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As long as they bring back Jane Krakowski as werewolf lawyer Sparky Monroe, I'm in :nyah:

[​IMG]

8. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Escaped you.. with a DIET COLA!!

9. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Seems like a good place to drop this:

Spiner went on to play Commander Data on "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, I can see Spiner willing to do a scene, but...naww, this can't possibly have legs; too many missing pieces to replace, and still call it, "Night Court". The un-exposed public might give it a chance, but there's too many fans who will miss what's not there.

Larroquette has already distinguished himself in many spotlights. I think he should turn his back on yesterday's money, and keep looking for tomorrow's opportunities to re-acquaint audiences with the breadth of his talents.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I'm not sure why there would be a me-too/cancel problem with Dan Fielding. He was never meant to be the hero or a likable character. The other characters thought he was scum. I think James Bond, for instance, ran into problems with feminists early on because he was a womanizer and the hero. Hence why his womanizing began to get really toned down by the '80s. Granted, they'll probably go even harder on Dan Fielding in the new show.

As for Night Court, this was a show I watched as a kid a fair amount but never felt much affection for it. The comedy was a little too broad and simplistic and it didn't do much to develop its characters. You knew what their schtick was going to be and you just watched them go through the same motions every week. Inparticular, Dan Fielding was just about my least favorite character on the show. He was a one-joke character with no depth and Larroquette overacted. Harry Anderson and Richard Moll were the main reasons to watch, and Markie Post had good chemistry with Harry too.

The one I'd still like to see back is Perfect Strangers. The series ended with them having children, so you could easily say Balki moved back to Mypos to raise his son and then have them come back to the states to live with Larry and his son. Balki's son could be an awkward computer programmer and Larry's son an unemployed get-rich-quick-scheming con man (with a heart of gold). Of course casting those two new actors will be very important. Even if they rebooted Perfect Strangers completely, it's still a damn good 'odd couple' premise that hasn't been overdone and would still work today as we still have tons of immigration in this country.

Incidentally, I heard about this 1976 "night court" sitcom co-starring Fred Willard while watching an old Carson episode where the guy who played the judge came on to promote it. I wonder if the Night Court creators "borrowed" the idea from this:

You can see a scene from it as shown on Carson in the below video at 6:43. The staging and the general tone of it, as well as the female vs. male lawyer angle, certainly rings bells if you watched Night Court. I do enjoy how they poke fun at typical "social justice warrior" arguments here, reminding us that there's nothing new under the sun. The only difference now is less people would laugh at this because the radicalism of the '70s is now mainstream thinking for many more people. If the new Night Court has a public defender character who is meant to satirize SJWs than they might have something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMs-tIQkYts&t=403s

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    905 likes this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member

John Larroquette and Zach Wilson are giving me hope.

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Sorry, can't see this working at all. Larroquette is 73, and he's never been someone who aged all that gracefully. Actual star and creator are dead. One actor back, and I don't think he has the alacrity to play that character any more, never mind that all of the other characters and the writing voice are gone. Pass.

17. MikaelaArsenault

I agree with you.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Sirota's Court was a very funny show. I liked it better than Night Court but in the 70s, NBC botched a lot of potential hits. But, yes, Night Court is a blatant ripoff. I have a few Sirota's on tape and it still holds up well.

JediJones likes this.
  19. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

I’m curious to see how this reboot will work. I think the show as it originally aired is still in my memory a really funny one, and very well-cast; Larroquette was the actor from the cast who captured the notice come awards season if I recall correctly, and he usually deserved the praise. But everyone was terrific. Markie Post made for an excellent foil to Larroquette, and it’s probably a testament to her skill that she held her own with her more buttoned-down role. I don’t know what she’s up to these days but my recollection is she’s still absurdly attractive.

20. MikaelaArsenault

Markie hasn't appeared in anything since 2019, but she is on Twitter though.

21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I would rather see a proper release of just the first year of The John Larroquette Show. Then they could reboot the show with the original writers and actors as if the following three years of original episodes were a dream and they pick up where they left off in the first season.

22. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I loved the original Night Court, but hadn't seen it in years, since it both went off the air & out of general syndication. Whichever "retro view" cable package, (was it Laff?), that picked it up & aired it a few years ago got me to revisit it. Sad to say, it really hadn't aged that well for me. It was still sporadically humorous, but so much of it just grated on me now.

And here we have a sequel/reboot/reimagining with one original cast member & one of the two most annoying actors on The Big Bang Theory, (the other was Kunal Nayyar), in it? Hard pass...

JediJones and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

It was Laff, yes.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault