10 most important figures in 20th century music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Pereira, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident

The fact that it takes people 20 years to learn how to play Fracture says it all.

2. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

I agree with that but based on that one thing hardly.

3. manco

manco Forum Resident

Still if I had to pick 1 figure as the most important of the 20th century - John Lennon.

cyril sneer likes this.
  4. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Sure. I remember Showaddywaddy.

Now if you'd said Colonel Parker you might've had a point.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Parker was a lucky carny goon who fell face first into a goldmine, and still almost managed to ruin it.

You are either oblivious to the history, or just trolling

misteranderson and RSteven like this.
  6. CaptainFeedback1

Let me put it another way; leaving aside the visual iconography associated with Elvis (as that has nothing to do with the thread title) please tell me about Elvis' musical influence? Not Eddie Cochran's or Buddy Holly's or Little Richard's or Bill Haley's. Elvis'...?

7. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

James Jamerson.

8. CaptainFeedback1

So by having a different opinion and looking to engage in debate I must be trolling...? I posted my 10. Have at it!

9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

"Figures" including musicians and non musicians:

Robert Moog
    Leo Fender
    Norman Granz
    William Ludwig
    Ed Sullivan
    Jim Marshall
    Alfred Lion
    Ahmet Ertegun
    Manfred Eicher
    Herbert Von Karajan

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

don't know exactly what I was thinking then - perhaps I was simply avoiding some of the names mentioned by others, who knows ;

I feel that I got 5 of the ten right

Billie Holiday
    Duke Ellington
    George Gershwin
    Charlie Parker
    Munir Bashir

this time offering instead :

Claude Debussy
    Igor Stravinsky
    Pierre Boulez
    Maurice Ravel
    Cole Porter

11. manco

manco Forum Resident

Max Martin
    Brian Wilson
    Gordon Lightfoot

Crimson Witch likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’ll say this much… it’s hard to take any list without Stravinsky on it seriously. Things just don’t get much more groundbreaking, epoch defining, than The Rite Of Spring.

Geee! and ricks like this.
  13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I love classical music, but not from the 20th Century, generally.

14. mark winstanley

Elvis influenced Buddy Holly, who moved to rock and roll from country swing after hearing Elvis...
    He is still to this day, even with forty plus years of ridicule about his depression, pill problems, weight and the way he died from folks like yourself, in the top four or five selling artists of all time.
    The Beatles, particularly Lennon picked up their instruments because of Elvis.... It is well documented that when Elvis blew the music world apart, that every Tom Dick and Harry with an interest in music started playing guitar and specifically rock music.
    Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, John Lennon and a plethora of others have cited him as a direct influence on them starting to play music, and the massive effect he had on the whole music world .... Where have you been all your life?

If you think all Elvis did was look good for the camera, the topic isn't even worth discussing with you frankly.

AlexDelarge and RSteven like this.
  15. mark winstanley

There is no opinion involved in the Parker issue. You either know what a manipulative idiot he was, who hobbled Elvis's career by acting like a jealous girlfriend, and running off songwriters and producers, making awful decisions and having a Svengali-like effect on Elvis, or you don't

RSteven likes this.
  16. CaptainFeedback1

Yeah, I'm well aware what a douche Parker was. Set the template for music/artist management ever after. So pretty influential. I didn't say that was a positive thing, did I?

17. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Miles Davis and Bob Marley should DEFINITELY be on ANY such list.

misteranderson and peskypesky like this.
  18. mark winstanley

That's fair. I can agree with that

RSteven likes this.
  19. CaptainFeedback1

So pretty influential in the, globally speaking, pretty narrow, starched white world of rock and pop, for a relatively short period, all told. Not top 10 of the 20th Century then, for me anyway.

Cheers for being so open to alternative views to your own.... ;-)

20. mark winstanley

I'm open to alternative views, but I'm afraid I can't get on board with a view that dismisses one of the most important figures of the rock music world as pretty much nothing ...
    Elvis had a huge impact on the black community, and their music. Little Richard initially was annoyed that Presley recorded some of his songs, but stated himself that Presley playing his songs actually opened up the market place to him, and increased his popularity enormously. BB King states how important Elvis was for the music community as a whole. Jimi Hendrix cites Elvis as a huge influence .... Even Chuck D withdrew his musical diss at Elvis when he actually got the facts ... This is a little post here and there kind of thing ... It's not like I am trying to put everything in here, it would be three or four pages...

You stated " but Elvis? I'm not convinced he influenced too many others musically..." which is not an alternative view, it is a view completely devoid of knowledge and reality.
    If you don't think he is top ten that's fine, but you stated essentially so far, that he had pretty much no influence and then inferred that it was just an image and compared his influence to Shawaddywaddy, or somebody ..... smh

RSteven likes this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The second part of your phrase," globally speaking, pretty narrow," reads like an oxymoron to me.

This sounds to me like Elvis just isn't hip enough for your very cool tastes, Lol.

22. CaptainFeedback1

Ha, cool..? I included ABBA in my 10 and I wasn't being ironic!

RSteven likes this.
  23. CaptainFeedback1

I don't think you're reading the sentence right....

Globally speaking, the starched white world of rock and pop is pretty narrow.

No oxymoron there.

24. CaptainFeedback1

I see your point, but that all makes Elvis more of a conductor, a conduit to other artists who were actually influential and groundbreaking. It's all about proximate cause for me, going back to the root That's where the most influence derives from. IMOAO...

25. mark winstanley

A conductor or a conduit ... that would be an influence.
    If you just don't like him, just say you don't like him.... His influence is undeniable from an objective perspective

RSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.