'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. bresna

bresna Senior Member

"Limited" and "25,000" in the same sentence for a Jazz record? :)

At $100 each, that's a cool $2.5 Million.

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Finally broke out my copy of the Kicker, went straight to side 2 bit of non-fill right in rhe middle of Step Lightly. I thought oooooh nooooes to myself, thankfully it sounds great and plays straight thru it.

This is possibly my favorite sounding TP so far.

Its also really great. Phenomenal actually.

3. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

That’s revenue, not profit. A fully loaded profit margin on these is probably an order of magnitude less, maybe 10-20% after covering all costs and licensing...if Chad is lucky. I think that is fair for the risk and all the capital he has put into his business over the last 10 years..

4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Agree. If he used the tapes again, the insurance for them alone could be 500k. I think that’s not the case, but licensing costs can be substantial, espcially for a 25k run of 33RPM.

markmck79 and Joti Cover like this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Hey friends!

Had a chance to represent analogplanet and was a guest on “The Record Spinner” podcast talking about being an audiophile within the vinyl community and having a nice conversation on balancing collecting music with pursuing the gear side as an audiophile. There’s some good tone poet shout outs though so if you have the time and are into podcasts please take a listen!

https://www.therecordspinner.com/po...eca/trs-episode-30-meeting-with-an-audiophile

TRS Episode 30: Meeting with an Audiophile

6. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

Nice work Ryan. I listened on my morning run.

Make no mistake though, the highlight of this interview is not your discussion of Tone Poets, it's when you bust out singing Bread. Whatha whatha. Killer.

No really, you were a great audiophile ambassador, you navigated it all well.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you so much for taking the time! That was 7:30am central time so wasn’t quite warmed up, but I appreciate you!

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When you accept high prices like this, you encourage more of the same. This price is more likely the result of the craziness of Craft's One Step sales. I'm not playing that game with them.

9. Josquin des Prez

More likely, Craft is jumping on the Mofi/AnalogProductions bandwagon than the other way around. Craft had it right when they did the nice linen-box 5-LP set of Chet Baker Riverside albums mastered by KG@CA for a decent price. That's my perspective anyway.

mktracy, Spazros, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  10. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

Is it too much to ask for blue train from this or the classic series

11. Josquin des Prez

I'm out. They aren't likely to improve much on the MMJ 33 SRX I have. :)

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It would be a shame if Blue Train ends up in the Classic Series, it deserves to be done to the quality of the TP's

mktracy, Spazros, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

showoff! :)

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

Well, right now no decent version is available, and why they haven’t announced this is beyond me

15. Josquin des Prez

LOL

I actually bought it when MMJ first started up SRX, to see if it was worth the extra expense. I decided it wasn't and never bought another MMJ release after that. Then their game got even worse. Never looked back.

mktracy, pressureworld and DeRosa like this.
  16. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Never too early to think about the next lineup...Joe just confirmed that Andrew Hill’s ‘Dance With Death’ will be in the next cycle (Spring 2022)!

17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Wow, best news I’ve heard all day. Even a Miles re-reissue can’t top this :D.

So, this and Herbie Nichols on tap for ‘22. Any others to add to the list?

mktracy and NorthNY Mark like this.
  18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

The wording on the Classic series announcement makes it seem that it will continue beyond this first batch. So it makes sense that titles like Blue Train were left to be part of another batch of releases some time next year.

mktracy and Petter Premberg like this.
  19. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I seem to have missed the Herbie Nichols news. I'm assuming it's Herbie Nichols Trio?

20. Josquin des Prez

Playing this on Qobuz now.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now THAT is great news. Screw that obscure Sort Of Green...or whatever its called title! :D

Thanks for the update!

22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Woot! This is the one Joe bumped from the 2020 list in the wake of the Black Fire warblegate. Glad to see it making its return to the schedule, and Passing Ships coming later this week too! The Andrew Hill sabbatical is over.

Smith, mktracy, NorthNY Mark and 8 others like this.
  23. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

It'll almost certainly be Classic Series, as we've heard many times that the TP crew aren't interested in redos of anything they worked on for MMJ.

On a side note, as an indie rock lifer, every time I see MMJ, I still think of My Morning Jacket.

mktracy, Patanoia, Spazros and 3 others like this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I guess we'll see. I don't think that's going to be the case forever, MMJ is so far in the rearview mirror
    that many of the people buying vinyl now never even heard of Music Matters. For goodness sakes,
    they only sold 2,500 of some to the MMJ titles, they're not going to press 10's of thousands
    of Blue Train for what logical reason? To protect the Discogs value? It makes less than zero sense in 2022.

Usky and mr.dave like this.
  25. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

So I keep my Heavenly Sweetness pressing until I heard the new one from Tone Poet.