Once auditioned for..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stonesfcr, May 1, 2021.

1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

That makes NO sense.

Mitch in Wings? No. He wouldn’t have
    been allowed to spread his wings.

Don Amos likes this.
  2. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Can’t remember now, it’s been a long time. I can see Gene not wanting to call attention to a failed audition

3. George P

George P Notable Member

ARK, AlmostHeavenWV and intv7 like this.
  4. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

There’s details of it in the official biography I think, but Pat Mastelotto mentions that he auditioned too, and by chance met Michael Giles the night before the auditions. They had a friendly chat, as Mastelotto was inspired by Giles, and ended up getting the job.

5. doity

doity Forum Resident

Yes I read that too from a interview from either Mark or Jerry. The story is that they were somewhere overseas like Jamaica or something. They were all getting baked on the local ‘product’ while either their manager or someone from the record company told John that the job was his if he wanted it or something like that.

Then they basically ambushed Devo who had no idea of what was going on. The manager dude came in and suggested it and said “I have John in the other room” and then he came in. The Devo guys weren’t biting though.

6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Laura Nyro was offered the job, then she recommended DCT.

O Don Piano likes this.
  7. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Gary Moore auditioned for Ozzy when the "Blizzard Of Ozz" band was being put together in 1979-1980. Although both Ozzy and Moore liked each other both as people and musicians, both realized it was not a good fit.

Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro was considered to join Guns n' Roses when Izzy left the band after the first leg of the Use Your Illusions tour. It's unclear if he actually rehearsed with them or not, they did fly him to work with the band but supposedly Navarro was deep into heroin and wouldn't leave the hotel room. Jane's original bass player Eric Avery auditioned for Metallica during the period of time before the "Some Kind Of Monster" album/tour.

Patty Smyth (of Scandal) jammed with Van Halen for a couple months and stayed in Eddie's guest house after Roth left and at one point was actually asked to join the band (she declined). Similar situation with Jimmy Barnes around the same time. Mitch Mallow auditioned and supposedly landed the frontman gig for Van Halen in 1996 but passed when he saw the infamous MTV debacle where they came onstage with David Lee Roth as part of the promotion for the "Best Of" album.

phillyal1, ARK and stonesfcr like this.
  8. doity

doity Forum Resident

From watching the bizarre Moody Blues Court TV episodes it was revealed that they had considered Blue Weaver from Strawbs for the keyboard job after Mike Pinder left. But of course they eventually went with the flamboyant Patrick Moraz. Blue Weaver would had been a much better fit in my opinion and more true to the Moodies output up to that point.

Buddybud likes this.
  9. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

He ended up in Art Garfunke's band.

Didn't Chevy Chase audition for Steely Dan?

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I don’t know why it is, but I keep seeing people on the internet write ‘loose’ when they mean ‘lose’. Native English speakers too.

11. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I recently discovered that Mark Andes was in an early version of Canned Heat.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  12. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Leslie West for Skynyrd, after Ed King walked.

ARK and MYQ1 like this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Simon Kirke for AC/DC

14. Criswell

Criswell Of course I've had it in the ear before

Chevy Chase played drums in a very early version of the band.

15. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Does black crowes offering jason falkner a spot count? Don't think he auditioned though

Lownote30 likes this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

This was for the Fripp/Sylvian tour, not King Crimson.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  17. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Could've been an interesting "one off".....I'm glad it didn't happen for all parties involved.....sounds like a Malcolm McLaren scheme!cash Through chaos....indeed!thanks for clarifying this unlikely story....

18. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Ah, okay.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  19. laether

laether Forum Resident

Richie Sambora (ex-Bon Jovi guitarist) auditioned for KISS (Ace Frehley's replacement) in 1983 right before he joined forced with John Bongiovi.

ARK and stonesfcr like this.
  20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Chevy Chase, Donald Fagen & Walter Becker met each other while attending Bard College in upstate New York in the late ’60s. The three musicians played a few gigs in a “bad jazz band” (Chase's words) called The Leather Canary with Chase on drums, Fagen on keyboards and vocals, and Becker on guitar.

phillyal1, ODShowtime, ARK and 4 others like this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There's one definite connection, however: The original guitarist for Wings was Noel Redding's Fat Mattress bandmate Eric Cambridge....

(in Paperback Writer, not in real life).

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Greg X Volz, later of Petra, was offered the frontman slot with REO Speedwagon after the band split with Michael Murphy in the mid Seventies. He decided the band's hard partying didn't sit well with his faith and declined, whereupon the band decided to give Kevin Cronin a second shot.

I love KC's second stint and I thoroughly enjoy Petra's early Eighties work so I'm glad it didn't happen but the prospect of a combination of Greg's voice and Gary Richrath's guitar remains a tantalising one. :)

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  23. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Glen Campbell and John Denver too, I believe. (But not Charles Manson. That was definitely just a rumor.)

sekaer likes this.
  24. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

BeauZooka, ARK, hutlock and 3 others like this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also, Mama Lion frontwoman Lynn Carey auditioned to be Davy's love interest in one episode. She was rejected as "too exotic." (this info found somewhere in the first Rhino DVD box).