Velvet Underground 2021 releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hallucalation, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Hardly. Much like the Pink Floyd box sets that everyone assumes are “complete”, there was very little research or deep-digging done. They just grabbed what was at the surface and padded it out with “liberated” bootleg material that could have easily been upgraded if anyone gave a crap.

zphage, RAZORMADE, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  2. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Well something must be up. The VU's official Instagram feed has just 'woken up' after being dormant for so long. Whoever is running it has been posting every other day with familiar archival videos/photos....fingers crossed that this is sign of some new activity.

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The VU sets are far more complete! I don't see any 1969 mono mixes (from a "promotional" album that likely never existed) from Pink Floyd.

4. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I found a rather suspicious box set of the matrix tapes.....4 c.d.'s and 2 "bonus c.d.'s" of the promo live at Max's Kansas city......the sound on the matrix material is great!I settled on this because of the scarcity of the 4 c.d. legit release of the matrix tapes....and it's cost!I paid $39 u.s.d. so thought it was worth taking the chance.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

'They just grabbed what was at the surface'

You don't know this.

Unlike the usual Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett 'suppressed recordings'/'lazy record corporates and band members' narratives, Lou had complete control over the VU catalogue before he died. We will have to wait and see what happens now. As has been said and reported, there are going to be releases this year.

6. shades

shades Forum Resident

I’m just gonna ask this here ... any of you purchased the Peel Slowly and See set from ITunes? Had a gift card, so grabbed it. Has 4 of 5 disks of content. Missing Loaded. Any one else have this problem?

7. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Does the Max's set have some of the rehearsal tapes? Early promos for the expanded edition had some tracks from it but they were withdrawn on later issues.

8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Well this set lists the "live at max's" as c.d.-1"the first set" and c.d.-2-"the second set".......I haven't listened to either yet but the 4 c.d.'s of the matrix material sounds great!it says that the 2 Max's c.d.'s are limited numbered of 200.....mine is numbered 193......it was released by "nothing songs limited"/"aulica".nothing on discogs but it is a nicely presented set in a fat-boy case.

9. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

10. Sebastian saglimbenI

11. Southsideryan

Southsideryan Well-Known Member

I wonder if it’s due to the new documentary coming out soon

linklinc and C6H12O6 like this.
  12. Don Amos

Don Amos Just passing through

You used to be able to upload unlisted videos that can only be viewed via the direct url link, so they’d be non existent unless you had the url. So not quite the same as a private video .

I have heard people say that when you make a private video public the upload date changes to the date the video is made public. Maybe that’s not the case with an unlisted video.

Jeez, think this is the most pointless bit of information I’ve shared on here yet.

13. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I think that’s likely the case. It is supposed to come out this year, right? I feel like it had something like a summer release.

Southsideryan likes this.
  14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

There are two versions of the Matrix Tapes release. The original, withdrawn version had a different mastering and longer gaps between the songs and a slightly different track order. It was released as a 4-CD promotional set in France. The Max’s Kansas City promo CD set is un-mastered (the final release is much better) but is supplemented with additional rehearsal material which sounds great and was most recently utilized for the rarities bootleg “Vulgar Absurdity” along with more newly-found audience-sourced Matrix material.

vivalapsych, ralphb, Patanoia and 5 others like this.
  15. Sebastian saglimbenI

Thanks for that awesome background of the "matrix/Max's history!I wish a legit re-issue would happen for the matrix/Max's set happened in 1 s.d.e box.

Laservampire likes this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The VU box sets were pretty disappointing in terms of audio content. A lot of those made more sense as two-CD deluxe editions. It's like they took those and padded them with live material that would've worked better as their own releases (which they pretty much did with Matrix in more complete form and already did with Max's). The VU and Another View outtakes could've been reissued as one single CD with the new mixes as well, and again, they wound up releasing the 1969 outtakes on a separate RSD vinyl release anyway.

17. shades

shades Forum Resident

There might be something coming...yesterday I received a "Welcome to the Velvet Underground Email list" email. Universal music has my email because I purchased the vinyl Matrix tapes box set a few months ago. So..if they are starting an email list, I would think they have something worth sending emails about coming up.

Hep Alien, TheLoveDrags and Rupe33 like this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

Thanks for the heads up. I only had the rehearsal tracks from an older bootleg. They sound far better here!

19. revolution_vanderbilt

The video is down now, but I did save the audio. The clips of Perfect Day and Hangin' 'Round (take 2) seem to be the same demos featured as bonus tracks on Transformer.

Hep Alien, Rupe33 and TeddyB like this.
  20. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Cool. What else was on there?

21. revolution_vanderbilt

Clips of Ride Into The Sun, Wild Child, I'm So Free, I'm Sticking With You, I'm Going Down, I Can't Stand It, Hangin' 'Round (take 1 which is a breakdown), She's My Best Friend, and Berlin. All clips were about 15 seconds long except for Berlin which was almost 40 seconds.

22. Finkle

Finkle Member

that would be great! As I just posted in another thread, I just managed to find the box set at my local store and most of the records have very bad and audible scuff marks. I could get a refund by may just suck it up and begrudgingly keep it warts and all as I think it is doubtful I will get an opportunity to own this otherwise at anything like a price I can afford.

23. Finkle

Finkle Member

Is that connected directly to Universal Music Group? I just bought the boxset from my local store and 5 of the records are very badly scuffed with and with numerous very audible scratched a ticks. Not talking an occasional tick but sections where there is a loud scratch every rotation for 2 or three minutes. The last 3 minutes of Sister Ray is unlistenable. By right they should be sending me a replacement copy but my local store - in Victoria Canada - says they cannot get another copy. Any thoughts?

24. shades

shades Forum Resident

I would say that yes, it is directly connected. My receipt email was sent from [email protected] . So, that looks like universal music group stores .com to me.
    Based on prices elsewhere, I'm guessing its no longer available through distribution for record stores to purchase and re-sell.

I think the packaging of this set kind of sucks. 6 of the 8 sleeves in mine had come apart. I was lucky I guess and didn't have any damage to the actual records. I did have what seemed like a piece of plastic embedded in the vinyl early in the first track of record 1. I was able to get most of it off so it just makes a small tick instead of stopping the needle dead in its track. Not thrilled about it, but didn't want to hassle with an exchange and possibly getting a worse copy.

Best of luck with it. It is a great set. I adore it.

25. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I heard this song back in the days of Napster, its a completely different song (and if i remember correctly pretty terrible) , he just reused the title.