Scariest Scenes in Non-Horror, Non-Monster Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Six Sense

Scene of child poisoned...

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I saw "Green Mile" in 1999, a woman in the theater completely lost it during that scene. She didn't seem physically grossed out, but it hit some nerve in her and she went crazy - shrieking, crying like someone just decapitated her baby, etc.

Not sure I've ever seen such a wild reaction at a movie!

Saint Johnny, hi_watt and longdist01 like this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That whole movie was like an ad against corporal punishment. To me, the electrocution scene just felt manipulative. I agree it was nauseating, but I suppose for different reasons. If the film was less overtly manipulative, it would have been more powerful.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Capital punishment. Corporal punishment involves physical pain but not death...

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Steve McQueen and Lee Remick and the grave scene in "Baby The Rain Must Fall."

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, I misspoke, but I also think the film was an advertisement against prisons and punishment in general.

7. Each individual has their version of horrible. Trying to one up a horror with another horror seems a bit dubious when both are horrible almost beyond comprehension.

If one has some imagination, as well as a grasp of history, it is pretty easy to imagine a wide array of horrible things one could endure, or succumb to, living life on this planet.

Karnak likes this.
  8. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

The last sequence of 2001 A Space Odyssey where Bowman senses himself in another part of the room.

Lewisboogie, hi_watt and JediJones like this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wasn't trying to one-up the post I replied to; merely pointing out that war is hell and soldiers know that's where they'll be fighting. But civilians are never prepared for it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Not to argue, but no, no the soldiers often do not know because (in the case of WWII as referenced) many were literally farming, or living a different non-military life, just three months earlier.

Everyone is prepared at their own level for a situation such as war.
    The big difference between a soldier and a civilian lies in who is telling them what to do and where to go, as well as how they are outfitted for the task at hand.

Very often civilians in the midst of war activity are cast out and have no direction, place, or goal other than to survive.

Neither position is one in which I care to participate if I get my wishes.

Karnak likes this.
  11. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

The scene-ending? in A Handful Of Dust when Tony(James Wilby) realises that he is a prisoner of Mr Todd(Alec Guinness) indefinitely-what hell could be like. And -speaking of hell-I won't even mention the ending of The Vanishing(1988).

HiFi Guy 008 and Dudley Morris like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Here’s a fun one. There is that scene in Finding Nemo where that big scary looking shark suddenly appears. For some reason that always gets me because I forget it’s coming.

13. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Agreed. But that's clearly a horror movie.

Karnak likes this.
  14. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory once at the theatre as a little kid, so I don't remember much about it. But I do remember a scene in an amusement park-like setting where there was a stream made of chocolate milk. A kid fell in - I think he was exhibiting gluttony or greed somehow - and was sucked out of the stream up a tube and disappeared. That completely freaked me out.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

There are many scenes in David Fincher's Zodiac which really spook me, but none more than the basement scene...

jedilips00, Phil147 and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Many movies come with various points of view. If that one wanted to be against capital punishment, then that was the choice.

Not sure why this is a problem.

And I disagree it's an "advertisement" against those concepts anyway, as that implies "Green Mile" offers no interesting characters or dramatic arc and just brings propaganda.

It's a fairly compelling story period...

Lewisboogie, Mark B. and Pete Puma like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Augustus Gloop! :)

And it's pure chocolate in the river, not chocolate milk! :D

18. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

The Brave Little Toaster traumatized me as a little kid. How is THIS for children???

19. Philip Airtime

Philip Airtime A Shiver in the Dark When You Call My Name

Richard Jaeckel's drowning scene in Sometimes a Great Notion (1971) was particularly disturbing to me when I was a child, as were the European captives' deaths in The Naked Prey (1965)--especially the man who is roasted alive. I first encountered both of these films on television, where Notion was retitled Never Give an Inch by NBC. I don't know anyone my age (55) or older who wasn't traumatized by watching The Naked Prey. It seems to have affected a generation of viewers!

Linus likes this.
  20. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

The ending of Johnny Got His Gun just terrifies me. Well, the whole film, really... but that ending.
    When I was about 12 I saw the Elephant Man for the first time, and the scene where Michael Elphick's character is taunting Merrick and giving him alcohol... the creepy circus music accompanying it freaked me out for weeks (and I was a gal who LOVED video nasties as a young 'un).

More recently, the hanging death of Lane Pryce on Mad Men affected me quite deeply. I don't know if it was the make up effects, or the tragedy of it, or just the brutal realism of how they found his body.

vconsumer likes this.
  21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Recount,an HBO docudrama from 2008 centering on the 2000 U.S. election. I've played it back and forth a few times and it still is disturbing,resulting in thousands of real lives lost. Fun fact-the character played by now-disgraced actor Kevin Spacey,Ron Klain,is pretty much one of the most important folk in D.C. today as White House chief of staff.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

So many scenes from Apocalypse Now...when the tiger jumps out of the jungle...never get off the boat.

The whole bridge scene. Who's in charge here? Ain't you?

Lewisboogie and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He had it coming. All those kids did.

unclefred likes this.
  24. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

First thing I thought of.

25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

But it looks more like Yoo-Hoo, which is itself an unintentionally scary drink.

Then stop playing it so much. Your TV sounds like it's putting out some serious radiation if it's killed that many people already.

Oatsdad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.