New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Jay805

Jay805 Member

2. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Thanks Chris and AP1!

Also thanks @jmpsmash!

jmpsmash likes this.
  3. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Insaimz

I have sylvania 6SL7s brown base as recommended by Pedro.
    Sylvania USA 6SL7WGT Short Grey Plate Top [] Get Brown Base Tube 93/89% | eBay

4. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Perfectly. You want the spring loaded ones that both @Ontheone and I referenced. Here is a close-up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Jay805 likes this.
  5. Jay805

Jay805 Member

I researched the Willsenton to the extent possible. There is just very little info on it. It doesn’t the have Point to point wiring. LM-508ia 220v is about $500 more than the Wilsenton. The info from this forum and the p2p wiring made me lean LM.

6. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Jay
    You should try one change at a time or it will be impossible for you to be sure about the impact of each change or, even worse, not even knowing for sure if you prefer one tube over the other.

7. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

On the other hand, RCA 805, Sylvania 6F8G and brown base are transparent and alive tubes. They are not bright, but if your system is dynamic and alive, you might end up having too much of a good thing and might want to tame it a little bit.

8. Chris Amott

Yes. Things could sound better because one change is *much* better even though the other one is actually a bit *worse*.

Jay805 likes this.
  9. dakchi

dakchi Member

Hi,
    I have been rolling my 6SL7 tube the last weeks. For those who are interested, here are my findings so far:
    • Stock tubes are somehow dark sounding. Not a lot of details but strong bass and warm sound
    • Sylvania 7F7 with adapter: I didn't like this tube much. It gives a thin sound, in particular for vocals but it remains better than stock in particular in the high frequencies
    • Sylvania 6SL7 brown base: nice and sweet sound. I think the most important characteristic of the sound with this tube is that it is airy with good separation of instruments. However, it all depends on your system. This tube can sound bright and a little fatiguing. It was the case with my spendor D7 speakers
    • Mullard ECC35: I think is the best I have tried so far. Holographic sounding tube with a lot of emotions, in particular with jazz. Not fatiguing at all and the details are there. But It comes with a cost. This is the one I will keep. I will sell all the others

10. Chris Amott

@dakchi couple of questions for you …

1. Do you know what year your 7F7 is and are the plates perpendicular to each other at 90 degrees or in-line at 180 degrees? I have a 1951 JAN-CHS with in-line plates and it doesn’t sound thin.

2. Is your ECC35 black or brown base, tall or short bottle, fat or thin base? I am kinda frustrated that I have tried two EC35’s and not been satisfied with either. Both of mine are fat brown base short bottles … so I keep coming back to that as the explanation for my dissatisfaction.

Thanks

11. dakchi

dakchi Member

12. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Pedro,

Will do. Stuff is just coming out of order. But I will have the stock set and the upgrades so I can do serious 1 at a time swap, listening session. Thanks

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  13. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

The 508 would be such a perfect amp for me if only it had a line out for my headphone amp. That's really the only dealbreaker. I would have to buy a preamp just for that function.

14. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Got my Tekton Lore Be with upgraded caps. Waited 6 months for them. Not broken in at all. My LM is not even broken in and sorted.

But OMG! Bass is crazy. Disconnected my cheap subwoofer. My room is about 25x15x9 feet. Disconnected my Schiit Loki. Lores don’t need any help. Lores are warm, dynamic and image really well. I can’t imagine upgrading from the Lores. I don’t mind a super warm sound but with the Lores I definitely have enough warmth. I won’t sacrifice any clarity for warmth from the tubes.

They just sound right. That bass! The NFB is kind of like a bass control. Lower the feedback the more bass.

They are a little bit ugly but once I get the grills they won’t be too too ugly.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  15. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

If your brown base is the same as mine, I also believe this is the most important strenght of this tube, but mine is not bright at all.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, if the other tubes, the rest of the system and the room are alive and transparent, I guess it can be too much of a good thing.

In my system it's perfect.

16. Insaimz

Insaimz Active Member

Thank you.

17. Insaimz

Insaimz Active Member

Iam looking for name of producer of this 6sl7.

It is not good as 70yr old sylvania vt229/221 (do not remember) or 6su7gty from Tung-sol but sounds okay. With emotions, no grani, well balanced.
    [​IMG]

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No, they all sound pretty similar.

My guess is you have warm tubes in other slots or the rest of your gear is on the warm side, making the sound overly thick and syrupy.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

what’s the rest of the system? Could you do a DAC with a headphone out? Or if you need analog to, a Mytek Brooklyn?

20. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

That's for sure not the Sylvania brown base I use, wich is also better, for me, than Sylvania VT-229.

If some of you guys have a very alive and dynamic system, I guess the Melz 6N9S maybe is a cheap tube to try on the 6SL7 spot as it's a sweet tube. Nevertheless, be careful selecting the tube and the seller from Ebay and buy at least a couple as some of them fail.

21. Chris Amott

Currently running Spendor D7.2’s, Lampizator DAC, opticalRendu, TS BGRP’s, ACME 300B, RCA 805’s. If anything it leans the other way. That said, when I first listened to the ECC35, I was running a Schiit Gumby DAC and stock tubes other than the 6SN7’s. I ordered a 2nd CV569 after adding in the Lampizator but to honest didn’t give it a very long listen.

Soooo … with that in mind, yesterday I decided to put my CV569 back in and I am admittedly liking it a lot more with the RCA 805’s in place. There’s a good balance going on there and I getting more texture than with the 7F7’s. My system is certainly more transparent, open, and dynamic than a year go. Still not sure where I will end up re RCA vs ACME 805’s but, as we all know, synergy is everything.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Ontheone and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

Im running a phono preamp, a Denafrips DAC, and also native out of my Oppo for SACD and Blu Ray.

james likes this.
  23. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

If you are using a front end with volume control (either an actual preamp, or a DAC/line with volume), and you don't get enough amplification, instead of plugging into the pre-in, plug it into the regular input and turn the volume knob all the way to max. that gives a direct signal path into the 6SL7 without attenuation. You might have issue with noise though, YMMV.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Chris Amott likes this.
  24. Jay805

Jay805 Member

LM Enthusiasts,

Been doing research on 300B tubes. It seems the TJ Fullmusic has been receiving high marks. The TJ Fullmusic top of the line SE won a shoot out. The lower line N one a shoot out. Its top of the line SE has since been upgraded twice for reliability and sound. SE was upgraded to CNE and CNE upgraded to Q. Also there other tubes have been reviewed well. Anybody have experience?

6moons audio reviews: TJ/Full Music & Snyergy Hifi 300B & 6SN7
    300B Shootout! by Thorsten Loesch
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0109/tj_full_music_300b_carbon.html
    Shuguang - TJ FullMusic 300B tube listening tests
    Tubes Asylum
    [Close] EML 300B XLS, KR PX4 and TJ full music 300B/Q

25. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

For the 805 tubes, how closely do the tubes need to be matched? Or do they need to be matched at all? There's a pair floating around out there but it looks to me like the Vg values are too far apart (one is Vg = -2 V and the other is Vg = -10 V) and I'm wondering if that would cause a problem? I know the 805s are biased independently in these things so maybe it doesn't matter?