Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. You have two of - if not the -most iconic singers and films of the 20th century apparently crossing paths, and only your friend is in-the-know. This would be huge news if true and would have leaked out ages ago so sorry if I don’t believe you.

jeremylr, I333I, BeatleJWOL and 4 others like this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Not to mention two of the most rabid, minutiae-obsessed fanbases. I think this would have leaked by now.

S. P. Honeybunch and joeislive like this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

What you are failing to put together is that the life and career of Elvis Presley has been written about in countless books by many different writers and respected authors. Most of the people in this thread have read a lot of those books; I am one of them and never have I come across this story of Elvis being connected to the casting of Star Wars in any shape or form. It didn't happen.

4. I see the impetus of a new thread: Acting roles that would have been perfect for Elvis

RSteven and MRamble like this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I noted exactly that in my comment.

Shawn likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That would absolutely have never happened. I'm more than sure that the Colonel would have insisted Elvis be the lead male role in any project he was involved in.

This is also why the Star Wars story is bull$h!t.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

This was Streisand's film. The male alleged co-star in Streisand's A Star Is Born would have been a terrible role for Elvis. The Dunne/Didion screenplay was tailored for and favored diva Streisand, who was in charge of her project. Elvis at that time should not have played a drugged out drunk has-been on his way down to suicide.
    Elvis could have played the role, even likely better than Kristofferson did. But it was not the role for Elvis then. It could have been a career killer, or career damaging. There is a different active thread about career killing roles and movies, and Elvis in this movie would have made that thread, and we may not have needed these FTD threads, for there being no FTD.
    In the world of what-ifs about Elvis, I'm glad this one is a was-not.

If Elvis wanted to make a good movie at the time, somewhat of a "comeback" movie, he certainly could have. Everyone who counted in Hollywood knew or had met Elvis and/or The Colonel, or knew someone who had, and many would have worked eagerly on a good film for him. Elvis could have called Frank Sinatra, or Nancy Sinatra who would have told her father, and the gears would have been turning the next day for a good movie for Elvis. From this ASIB nonsense, Elvis could have traded appearing in a bit part in it for Streisand to, later but soon, take a bit part in his movie. Frank and Nancy might have taken bit parts or larger parts, and many other performers would have.

But it did not happen, because Elvis did not simply ask for it.

Back to FTD.

Spencer R likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's pretty well known that Kurt Russell auditioned for the role of Han Solo. What is less known is that Lucas wanted him to play Solo as Elvis. A few photos survive of the screen test, as seen below. Ultimately Lucas decided to go in a different direction, but he wound up recommending Russell to his friend John Carpenter and the rest is history. This is probably the source of the mistaken notion that Elvis himself was offered the role.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

snopes is going to have to make a whole new category for this

"things Elvis was never ever going to be involved in despite what your buddy told you"

10. prostx23

prostx23 Somewhat Gentleman of Mediocre Sophistication

Hey, If we are going to start silly rumors about movie roles Elvis was offered... I have it on good authority (I just made it up) that Elvis was originally slated to play the part of Rocky Balboa in the first Rocky film. The movie was originally intended as a sequel to Kid Galahad...

I just got the American Sound 69 box set in the mail the other day. I have a couple of days off of work coming up and plan on spending quality time listening to it. Can't wait.

11. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

It did happen, the approach that is. Just because it's not very well documented does not mean it didn't happen. Elvis was not aware as the Colonel turned it down flat. He wanted more money and Elvis to sing 4 or 5 songs in the movie. Elvis was literally a signature away from being Han Solo. Star Wars is still a pretty decent movie. Not sure how it would have worked out with Elvis in it and also how they would have slotted the songs in. Suppose we will never know. But he was George Lucas' first choice.

12. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Not a wind up at all. It did happen, the approach that is. Just because it's not very well documented does not mean it didn't happen. It has just not been very well reported. Elvis was not even aware as the Colonel turned it down flat. He wanted loads more money and also Elvis to sing 4 or 5 songs in the movie. Elvis was literally a signature away from being Han Solo. Star Wars is still a pretty decent movie. Not sure how it would have worked out with Elvis in it and also how they would have slotted the songs in. Suppose we will never know. But he was George Lucas' first choice.

13. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

Being a EP fan for 45 years, I've never heard or read, or spoke with fellow fans, that Elvis was one of the candidates for the role of Han Solo, let alone as first choice. Or Parker was approached. It is simply NOT TRUE.

Other actors like Christopher Walken, Al Pacino, Sylvester Stallone, Nick Nolte and Kurt Russel were candidates.

There's one person connected with Elvis and Star Wars. Steve Binder (producer/director) who directed the 68 Comeback Special for Elvis, in 1968, also directed the ''Star Wars Holiday Special'', from 1978.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Dave112, Shawn, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yep! He made the Kessel Run in less than 12 funky little angels!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That photo looks almost comically fake.

Or did I just miss the joke?;)

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I don’t think some of you feel the tug of your chain being yanked.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Uh huh.

You never know these days.

Revelator and RSteven like this.
  18. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Like I say, it was not reported at the time or very much since. My mate who told me is both a huge Elvis and Star Wars fan. George Lucas wanted Elvis as Han Solo but the Colonel demanded too much money and also wanted Elvis to sing a few songs in the movie.

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have it on pretty good authority that Elvis is still alive and working at my local Burger King flipping hamburgers on the swing shift. :laugh:

S. P. Honeybunch and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Next we are going to be told on good authority that Elvis was offered the role of Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now in 1976, but Parker turned it down flat without ever presenting the offer to Elvis after Scorsese refused to let Elvis sing songs in the film.

BeatleJWOL and RSteven like this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Parker was of course going to request that the entire soundtrack be Elvis songs, so really that honestly true thing that actually happened was never going to work out.

prostx23, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

JohnO and RSteven like this.
  23. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Ok. Then you’ll have no problem proving a valid citation or two.

RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Elvis Sings ‘Yoda Is as Yoda Does’ and Other Hits from Star Wars (RCA Victor, 1977)

Yoda Is as Yoda Does
    Viva Mos Eisley
    Long Legged Droid (With the Short Dress On)
    (You’re) Darth Vader in Disguise
    Never Been to Tatooine

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He's Darth Vader Not Your Dad
    R.2. Blues
    I Was Cloned About 10,000 years ago
    No Room to Rhumba in a Land Speeder
    Such a (Jedi) Knight