Another 12AU7 / ECC82 Tube recomendation needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PJC68, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you give a brief description of the sound you got with the brimar CV4003

2. PJC68

3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Yes

BrentB likes this.
  4. Funky54

I have a number of RCA not all exactly the same. All of them are NOS though.

5. Funky54

Very very similar to the Mullards not only in sound but in construction. Nice top, very holographic, but you lose a little bass maybe accuracy compared to the RCA. But has more bass and accuracy when compared to JJ, Syvaniaand a few others. For me they are the best compromise in my Rogue Perseus Preamp.

PJC68 and Rolltide like this.
  6. Funky54

I should add, with these expensive NOS tubes.. the JJ modern tubes really weren’t too bad. They didn’t have the definition, detail or holographic soundstage, but they did have nice bass and were absolutely the quietest of all the tubes.

trd likes this.
  7. PJC68

Thanks for that info
    So i suppose im almost getting a mullard cv4003 for a lot less money, the NOS Mullard cv4003 (non cyro) are £100 each

8. Funky54

I can say they are similar.

9. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Brimar boxplates have more air and top-end extension than Mullard, a nice amount of warmth and tight bass. More detail and clarity in the mids than the Mullard.

10. Lowrider75

@PJC68 , you mentioned Radiotechnique earlier. They were a French factory owned by Philips and have the same tooling as Amperex and Philips, Holland. Basically, they sound like a Bugle Boy or a Philips Mini Watt.

11. PJC68

That’s good news, they will be going in the amp in a couple of weeks

12. PJC68

I heard the 1965 RT sounds similar to a bugle boy, but the 1956 RT sounds better
    I knew Phillips owned RT, Millard, Valvo and Amprex

13. PJC68

aparently the miniwatt sound close to the Bugle boys

14. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

I am surprised no one has mentioned Psvane 12au7-s (Art series).

I find them better than NOS Brimars, those I find are overhyped, especially after I got Psvane Art run in and fully singing. Brimars are a bit grainiy and harsh (higher mids particularly), less depth and dynamics in the bottom has a clear sonic advantage for my ears at least. Psvane has silkyness, vibrancy and "3D" in stage (I run Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP with GL KT88s)

The real downside on Psvane 12au7-s is the burn-in time, they need at least 50 hours, but in my example around 100 hours they are ready for full duty.

New production Art series Psvanes don't cost a fortune like some NOS 12au7s do, so I'd highly recommend to try them.

Tourswede likes this.
  15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Two Brimars exist- short and long plate. The short plate are just a whisper of the long plate performance.

16. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

Proper Brimar long plates on mine. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad at all, just per exorbitant price they go around these days - they are overhyped IMHO. I prefer Psvanes and they only cost a fraction of those.

Tourswede likes this.
  17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Great advice. Thanks.

18. Lowrider75

This is true. The premium Amperex PQ and Philips SQ are so much smoother at the top-end with powerful bass. But they're pricey.

19. PJC68

I have decided to put the Brimar cv4003 in the amp tomorrow and let them cook
    I have heard good things about the pvsanes and then someone else say they suck, looks like it is not a "one size fits all" senario
    I like the sound to be balanced hence me taking the mullards out, the imaging is solid and sounds holographic though

Lowrider75 likes this.
  20. PJC68

I know, i have seen some of the prices of the amprex tubes, you probably could not give them away 40+ years ago

Lowrider75 likes this.
  21. PJC68

Anyone tried the phillips miniwatt (holland harleen plant)

22. Lowrider75

Yes, I like them. Revealing, lush midrange, wide and deep soundstage. But, like the Bugle Boys, they have an extended top-end which is slightly unrefined.

23. PJC68

Thanks for that
    I have been offered 2 mullard (Holland) ECC82,s but unsure, i might just put the Brimar CV4003 in and have done with it

24. Lowrider75

Never heard Mullard from the Holland factory. I suppose they have Amperex tooling.
    That's the PITA part of tube rolling, the different branding by parent companies and the subcontracting which was widespread.

25. PJC68

It’s chaotic, you can get exactly the same valve with a different name on for less
    I put the brimar cv4003 in today, the sound is smooth with more treble and bass, I only listened for the first hour so will give them another listen tomorrow, they are cooking as we speak
    Hope the sound gets better, the Millard imaging was a little more solid and holographic, but I think I’m going to like the brimars more

Lowrider75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.