Classic Saturday Night Live Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

cool, thank you.

2. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I love this one. Back when it was still cool to slam political correctness. And it was a fresh observation, because newscasters had started over-pronouncing Spanish words but comedians hadn't really pointed it out as far as I know. But if you were a normal, middle-American person, you at least were thinking in the back of your mind that it sounded absolutely ridiculous when a newscaster would suddenly put on a fake Spanish accent when saying the words "Costa Rica" or "Nicaragua." Of course, that culture war was lost, as they continue to think that it is somehow "correct" to do that to this day. And the fact that Smits played the guy who objected to this totally presaged the Speedy Gonzalez controversy when he was "cancelled" around 2000 and many Mexicans protested the ban, saying he was their favorite character, until Speedy was brought back.

MarkTheShark, 905 and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not totally accurate to say Rocket was fired because he said "f@@k." As noted, he was back next week, so there wasn't an immediate decision that he had to go simply because of that. It certainly didn't help his case, but it seems almost certain he would have been fired anyway since Ebersol got rid of almost everyone and Rocket in particular was seen as the face of that cast. I really doubt Rocket would have been deemed worthy of staying on if he'd kept his mouth shut.

As for Prince, it sounds pretty clearly like he's saying "suck a freakin' bore" to me. Did he ever claim otherwise, 'cause I sure don't hear it.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    swandown and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Back when I was working on Latin American programming I had a colleague who did this, and it made me think of this sketch. It was so affected, you’d swear he was taking the piss.

krock2009 likes this.
  5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have this painful episode on a VHS I taped and saved ages ago from Comedy Central...or it still could've been the Comedy Channel at that time. Only edit is the silent "bleep" when Rocket lets his F-bomb slip.

The Prince performance is otherworldly. Also noteworthy is Eddie Murphy's debut of "Mr. Robinson," which totally killed that night. Otherwise, a few half-hearted laughs and so much cringy, bad material the show feels twice its running length. A fascinating disaster.

SNL reran this performance in a clip show after Prince died, uncut IIRC. I might still have it on the DVR.

dan c

krock2009 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The People's Court - SNL Transcripts Tonight

Judge Wopner: [ banging gavel ] Mr. Mephistopheles, I’m warning you! You may hold dominion over the nether regions, but I run this court! Is that clear!

Mephistopheles: [ steamed ] Yes, your Honor.

:laugh::laugh:

Brilliant bit! I agree with other posts above, I think the "People's Court" theme killed it for streaming and it wouldn't work without it. I wonder if getting the right so the theme would even be a problem, but my assumption is they put zero effort into clearing anything and just scrubbed everything with music or musical references. It's a real shame.

dan c

7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Rocket's f-word (or as Fred Silverman called it, "the f***-word") is there loud, clear and uncensored at the end of the episode on Peacock.

If you want solid evidence that something is horribly wrong about the editing of the SNL episodes on Peacock, just watch the season 12 episode with William Shatner. What was the most memorable sketch in the episode and perhaps the entire season? That's right: The "Get a Life" Star Trek Convention. And it's not in this episode which is only twenty minutes long.

8. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm starting to agree that any sketch with any kind of music is getting the axe, although the season 10 episode with Michael McKean did include all of the Folksmen sketches including the songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Why would they have the People's Court sketch on YouTube if there were rights issues?

I've also read people saying which official SNL channel videos are "blocked in your country" on YouTube changes frequently. They will block and unblock various videos for no particular reason. The goal of SNL media on the internet before Peacock never seemed to be to simply make everything they have available. It was done partly as some kind of promotional exercise. And Peacock seems to have been hastily assembled out of whatever media they already had on the internet.

Switching gears, I never saw this video in the '90s but only later on YouTube. It's hilarious though. And like Carvey with Bush, it shows just how unique the relationship SNL had with the politicians of the early '90s was. I know Carvey also appeared with Bush at an official political event outside the show like this, but not sure if the same thing happened with any other SNL players and the politician they impersonated.

agentalbert and 905 like this.
  10. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

And this is the Carvey/Bush one, also just a real pleasure to see. You know your impression is good when the people who know Bush best find it uproarious:

This copy is lower quality but goes on a couple minutes longer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D815eVH6Kwg

905 likes this.
  11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Is The Fifth Beatle sketch on Peacock?

12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Just type in fifth beatle snl on google and it comes up on Vimeo.

I did just see there are videos where Rich Little appeared at events with Reagan, so that's a similar thing outside of the SNL context.

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I must have watched the best of Eddie Murphy in vhs 20 times growing up and all those classic sketches are missing from the peacock network.

905 likes this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Rights issues are different for youtube than for a streaming platform?

Well, the first one that comes to mind is Bob Dole's appearance on the November 16, 1996 episode, alongside Norm MacDonald doing his impression. The sketch doesn't seem to be on youtube but there's a clip of it shown during this Conan appearance (around 5:33):

I'm pretty sure I recall George W. Bush appearing alongside Will Ferrell at some point, and Clinton doing likewise with Darrell Hammond.

15. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Yes, but Murphy wasn't in the Fifth Beatle sketch.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here's Clinton and Hammond together:

JediJones likes this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I can't imagine why that would be. YouTube is essentially a streaming platform. The sketch was also on NBC.com's SNL site before all those clips got blocked with the launch of Peacock:
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-peoples-court/n9487

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, what other reason would there be for not including it on the Peacock version of the episode? If they just ported all the stuff that was at nbc.com over to Peacock without doing much else (as you've theorized) why would they delete it in the process? Can you suggest a more plausible reason than rights issues for why that sketch isn't there on Peacock?

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which 5th Beatle sketch?

There's the famous one where Murphy played Clarence, a musician who claimed he got fired:

fr in sc, MarkTheShark and Scowl like this.
  20. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I totally forgot that one. The one I remember was Phil Hartman playing Dixieland Jazz trombone player Albert Goldman claiming he was the fifth Beatle. A very very brief clip from the sketch is here:

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks! I don't recall that one!

And I'm surprised you forgot Clarence - that sketch had a life way behind its original airing! :)

Scowl likes this.
  22. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Clerical error? Like I said, they get weird with SNL reruns. They put way more thought into producing the reruns than anyone would expect. And cyclical blocking and unblocking of sketches on YouTube is part of it.

Apparently, Seagal's episode was banned from Netflix at one time simply because they didn't think it was any good:
    "Seagal's work was considered so bad that SNL censored the episode when it offered the 1990 season via streaming on Netflix."

But, now, it's out there as a partial episode like other episodes of that era. So these decisions don't seem to be consistent.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm sure we'll never see it again since it has the entire song of "When I Saw Her Standing There", with a rockin' Dixieland trombone solo in the middle. After Goldman finished his solo he stared at the rest of the Beatles, the band and the audience were silent for five seconds, then they went back to playing the song.

"That was a cue, you morons!" Goldman yelled at them after the song.
    I tend to forget the talk show sketches.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, it takes effort to remove a sketch from an episode, so it seemingly would have to be more than a clerical error. Absent evidence to the contrary, it continues to seem to me that the most plausible explanation is that there's a legal issue with the sketch that precludes them putting it on Peacock.

25. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Just FYI, "over-pronouncing" Spanish words has exactly nothing to do with political correctness or the culture wars.