Free* to a good home

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by returnstackerror, May 3, 2021.

1. returnstackerror

returnstackerror Forum Resident Thread Starter

HEHE - YOU GUYS ARE QUICK - WILL DEAL WITH PM IN ORDER

BACK STORY

I moved to the US from New Zealand in 1995, meet a Brazilian American, got married in 2000 and moved back to NZ in 2008.

At the time of the move back, computer based audio was still immature, high quality streaming basically didnt exist so I was wedded to CD and Vinyl play back.

My job in the US required extensive travel (think leave 4pm on a Sunday, arrive back home 2am the next Saturday and then do it all again the next day) so I used my system very little.

Upon moving back to NZ, I still worked for my US employer but being at the **** end of the world, my role changed so I worked from home and had time to play with computer based audio (I am an IT guy so was in my "space")

By 2010 I wasnt spinning CD's any more, had a Qobuz account (via a friend in France) and rarely played vinyl any more. With regard to Qobuz, I only stream to discover and buy/download the stuff I like.

THE DEAL

Fast forward to 2021 and I have all this gear that I wont ever use again, is mainly US voltage (some gear is dual voltage), in many cases the brands that have no dealers in NZ and so selling them in NZ is basically impossible.

I could ship them back to the US and sell on Audiogon but pragmatically I view them as a sunk cost and whatever money I could get for them isnt worth the hassle.

So I am offering these items for free ("buyer" would needed to pay for shipping from NZ).

Its better to me to get them to a good home than sit in boxes until I pop my clogs.

These are all in great condition, low mileage and I have videos from a few months back showing them in working condition (videos were done for insurance purposes)

I am an Honest Joe and you can check out my Audiogon feedback under the same user name as SHM (returnstackerror). My feedback ends in 2008 cause thats when I moved back to NZ.

The only risk you might take as a "buyer" (given I can show they all work 100%) is if in the future they need to be repaired. But they are all US purchases (I have all original invoices which you will get) and given you are "buying" at way below US 2nd hand prices, if they ultimately need repairing (which ANY 2nd hand purchase might) you are still way ahead.

If after using the gear for a while you feel like bunging me a bit of money in appreciation then that would be fine but I have no expectation of that... It's enough know that someone is getting use out of them.

As a community, if you know someone who is hard up at the moment and would benefit from some of this stuff then I would give precedence to them

THE GEAR

- All the gear was purchased new in 2007 or 2008
    - I wont wax lyrical about how wonderful they sound etc.. were all audiophiles and can do whatever research is needed
    - I assume SHM has a PM option on its board, so that would be the way to communicate

- Bryston BP-26 DA with MPS2 power suppl (has the DAC option and has ~6 years warranty left)

- Bryston BDA-1 DAC

- Lexicon RT20 Universal Player (does all discs but Bluray)

- Michell TecnoArm

- Acoustic Solid Solid Edition Turntable (comes with Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU)

- Audio Origami Pu7 tonearm (the mounting is a match for the Acoustic Solid so probably needs to stay with it but it might also fit a Rega mount.. would need to check)

- AudioMods Series 5 Tonearm

- Ayre P5xe phono amp

NOTE 1: the tonearms are all terminated with XLR's so might need re-terminating
    NOTE 2: the turntable is heavy so would cost a bit to ship
    NOTE 3: No original boxes but will pack appropriately

Regards,

Peter

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Nice! :righton:

Razakoz likes this.
  3. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Wow...nice gear....great help to some audiophile :)

4. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Peter, I would love to get the tonearms and table from you. I live in NJ.
    Thanks

BillWojo

5. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Yea, it's a heck of an offer. There is some really nice gear there as well. I'm good with phono pre, and the other stuff.

6. Glmoneydawg

If this was puppies, i would say couldn't go to a better home.

BillWojo likes this.
  7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Pm sent for Ayre preamp

8. glide

glide Forum Resident

PM sent on Michell TechnoArm

9. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

PM BP-26 and BDA-1

Thanks!!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  10. returnstackerror

UPDATED LIST OF AVAILABLE ITEMS:

- Bryston BDA-1 DAC (tagged for benzo [ who got the BP26 ] pending some else popping up in the near future)

- Lexicon RT20 Universal Player (does all discs but Bluray)

So far the "winners" are (based on when PM's were received) :

benzo - Gets the BP26
    macster - Gets the Eagle PSU
    Slippers-on - Gets the Ayre Phone amp
    BillWojo - Gets the Table with the PU7
    glide - Gets the Michell TechnoArm

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Lexicon RT20 Universal Player

I'll give this a go!

12. Glmoneydawg

@Slippers-on ....i owned the Ayre phono for years....i still consider it the best I've heard :)

Tim 2 and Slippers-on like this.
  13. returnstackerror

- Bryston BDA-1 DAC (tagged for benzo [ who got the BP26 ] pending some else popping up in the near future)

benzo - Gets the BP26
    sjp - Gets the Lexicon RT20 (its a bloody good unit)

SJP likes this.
  14. returnstackerror

Once the dust settles, I will get shipping weights for each item and send this to each "winner" along with my general address location in NZ, the original invoice and a video of each unit working, just so this is all transparent.

The fact that all devices were sold new in the US and are being re-imported would in theory mean that there is no import duty.

Any one able to comment?

Each winner can decide how much insurance they want to pay for.

benzo likes this.
  15. returnstackerror

So it was asked of me whether we have Fed Ex, UPS in NZ at my location.

We of course do (dont be fooled by the Hobbit movies, we are a 1st world country).

The issue with Fed Ex, UPS for heavier items is the cost of air freight.

However, I would guess that aside from BillWojo bravely taking the Acoustic Solid table (which is around 33kg/70 lb from memory) the rest of the items shouldnt cost that much to send (relatively).

If using Fed Ex, UPS then I think its cheaper to use their own boxes so I will need to see what boxes sizes that have.

Aside from the Acoustic Solid table and the tone arms (which are small) , everything else is a standard 17" wide, ~ 2-4" high and ~12 -15" deep, so there should be a standard Fed Ex, UPS box that matches this size.

For BillWojo, we can check out air freight but maybe a traditional passage by sea, while taking a while, would be the most cost effective.

And of course, stupid me makes this offer in the middle of a pandemic when shipping rates have gone up!!

Peter

SJP likes this.
  16. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

PM sent! Great offer.

Hank

17. returnstackerror

benzo - Gets the BP26
    hammr7 - Gets the Audiomod Tonearm

18. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Peter, I could wait if it's going to be crazy expensive and give it a nice boat ride. Get me a rough estimate and than I'll decide. BTW, is this the Wood model or one of the cool looking metal turntables? I see they have different models.
    I'm stoked! Should move my analog system up a big notch.

BillWojo

SJP likes this.
  19. returnstackerror

Final update for today for the winners.

I am creating a few drop box accounts that you can logon in to download the test videos of the equipment, should you wish to check it out before arranging the shipping.

These tests were done in october last year (I thought it was more recent but basically after the tests the equipment was re-boxed so no further usage).

SJP likes this.
  20. thekingpin

thekingpin Forum Resident

PM’d for the BDA-1 :) Thanks for your generosity!

21. returnstackerror

ITS ALL GONE!!!!

benzo - Gets the BP26
    hammr7 - Gets the Audiomod Tonearm
    thekingpin - gets the BDA-1 (which is a damn fine DAC... the cool thing is it has defeatable upsampling and when upsampling has two clocks one for 44.1k and one for 48k based data)

Thanks for your business!!!

Peter

jusbe and benzo like this.
  22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I was a few minutes late in the shark pool.

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

I already went through "hell" and the Fed Ex drill, and the OP has my package on the way. For those who want to know the quickest way to get it done.

IMHO, it is as follows:

1. Set up a Fed Ex account with ship by credit card
    2. Make and prepare a "company letter head" png/gif file
    3. Make and prepare a "signature png/gif file
    4. Be prepared to contact Fed Ex customer support they stayed on the line and guided me through the process for 45 minutes.

M~

SJP likes this.
  24. returnstackerror

Do they really need a gif? I have sent stuff via fedex from NZ and never needed that.

The "hard" part is selecting an HC code to match what I am are sending, just takes a bit of time.

Anyways, with the process M~ went through, I got all the doco I needed from a web link and just printed that so thats the way to go as you can decide what value, item desc etc you want.

So I will leave it to you "persons" (to be all inclusive) to work the Fedex process although @hammr7 with the audiomod tonearm is going the slower/cheap route with NZ Post.

Will only work for small items... NZ Post wont ship heavy/large stuff... as far as I know

Peter

25. macster

macster Forum Resident

It was either a png or gif. I was rushing trying to get done before you changed your mind. So, I probably made a lot of mistakes.

lol

M~