$20 to stream "rent" a current movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tim S, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm really interested in the current movie called "Nobody," an action movie starring Bob Odenkirk. It's $19.99 to "rent" it, that is, to stream it for a 24 hour period on your phone or computer or device.

Is this a fair price? It seems excessive to me and I'm choosing not to see it until the price comes down a lot.

So what is a fair price? How would I even determine that? I'm thinking 5 or 6 bucks - nothing more than a gut reaction.

What do you guys think? Are there new films you would pay $20 to see?

Jimmy B., Shoes1916, Michael and 2 others like this.
  2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Depends. If it was something the whole family was going to watch that doesn't seem that bad but I would only do it on a special occasion because I don't need to see something the day it comes out. If it was just for myself I wouldn't spend that much.

Then again when you are stuck at home with kids parents will probably resort to spending the $20 for some peace and quiet, in that sense it might be worth it.

yesstiles, jupiter8 and rockclassics like this.
  3. I’ve noticed some movies streaming at the $20 mark. Personally I wouldn’t pay that much, but maybe the studio is thinking it’s a bargain to the consumer if there’s four people watching it (vs. tickets at a movie theater).

rockclassics likes this.
  4. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

It's priced that way because it's in theaters and was available to stream on the same day it was released to theaters. $20 is less than some of these have theatrical/streaming "covid hybrids" have been priced at (Disney charged $30 for Mulan just to Disney+ subscribers on the day it was released).

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I paid $5 to see Nobody in a theater - $20 is a fair price if you have a family of four watching I guess (although this movie probably isn't for the kids).

I also saw The Father in a theater, a larger multi-plex that charged $10 per ticket. So it would make sense to rent for $20 even if only the wife and I were watching.

It's not really fair as it makes it way too expensive for anyone watching solo, but probably the best they can do.

Sometimes the rental price goes down after it's been there a while, but it doesn't always.

jjhunsecker likes this.
  6. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Don't waste your $20. It's a decent action film but nothing special or original.

Rubberpigg likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Wait t'il it becomes a standard rental.

Spitfire, Shoes1916, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

They were charging $20 each for "The Father" and "Minari" On Demand....There is no way in hell I'm paying that amount for something to rent. $6-$7 is the right price for a streaming rental, that's what I paid to see "Promising Young Woman" and "Sound of Metal" . I would pay $20 for a Blu-ray, but that's for something I would own forever and can watch whenever I choose

Shoes1916 likes this.
  9. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Wait until it's available at Redbox for $2/night. Streaming rentals are a ripoff. Even $5.99 is too much for a rental imo. Speak with your wallet.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

No. Anything over $5 for a streaming rental is highway robbery, I don't care if theater tickets are free.

Disney started this garbage and the fact that the immediate reaction to a $20 rental is not "no f#&*ing way"* is concerning.

*my presumption based on the fact they've done it more than once by now, not based off anything in this thread. just to be clear.

Not to mention I know that the Mouse is going to try this again when the Marvel films start back up and it's going to get a lot of people who don't want to miss out on the ride.

Shoes1916 and Shawn like this.
  11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

The other thing I thougt
    Then it's free it at the library!

Tjazz likes this.
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That makes sense, then once it stops playing at the theatre, then it should drop to $5.

Mind you, people would easily pay $20 for the Blu ray!

13. 905

905 Senior Member

I've done this, I've noticed a lot of times it doesn't take long for the price to become lower.

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

$20 is not a fair price for me, as I live alone. I will never pay $20 to see a movie, especially at home!

Of course, if you’re a family of 4, and want to watch at home instead of going to the theater, this makes much more sense.

Once the movie leaves the theater, the price drops to $5.99.

Single people get screwed in Covid times. Many concert venues now sell tickets only in pods, so you have to buy a block of 2 or 4 tickets even if you are solo. It’s not fair, but I suppose these places are just trying to survive.

Juan Matus, mmars982 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't think of a single new film I would pay $20 to rent. In a year the price either goes down or I just don't care anymore and move on.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Let's be really honest- when has $20 for a movie ever been 'fair', unless it's a really special movie and they are offering it in an actual physical location (movie theatre etc)!! People have simply been brainwashed into thinking these kind of prices are acceptable. Also the fact that we can simply press a button to make the purchase somewhat downplays the 'real cost' involved.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  17. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

Movies in general are overpriced, streaming at home or in the theater. I can’t remember ever watching a movies and thinking it was worth $20 for a one time viewing. I’ll gladly wait it for to be available on one of the streaming services I’m already paying for.

hifisoup and Shoes1916 like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have noticed recently that many 'new' releases on spectrum on demand are $19.99.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, never...I can wait for the Home Video version.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  20. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

This is why hard media is being eliminated.

Why should a studio sell you a copy of their movie on disc to watch any time forever when they can charge you insane money to watch it once & not own it?

It's back to the future of early video rental days, except back then you could rent a movie for $2 that would cost $70 to buy.

Same reason we have Bluray & 4k and all that nonsense - they want you to buy the same thing again and again and again forever, obsoleting the format of what you own as fast as they can.

16mm - 8mm - Super 8 - Laser disc - Beta - VHS - DVD - Bluray - 4K...

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Dale A B and JediJones like this.
  21. This is a personal value question only you can answer for you.

I wanted to see "Nobody" and when I queued it up I saw the $19.99 price.
    In the room also wanting to see the movie were other people in my family. I figured this was a fair price to pay for three people to watch. With tax and other fees this probably works out to $7 per viewer in my instance.

I will say this is a pretty good movie and I think it is worth $20 to see as one person, let alone a potential room full of people.

Invite some family or friends over and have them ante up to split the cost between whom ever is watching if the price seems high to you.

Because this is a new release I can see the price being higher.
    Because we may still want to seclude from others I think the "value" may be altered to pay a bit more to be in your home viewing a first release movie.

Keep in mind, "Nobody" is the first movie I have paid $20 to rent.
    With all others I have waited until the price drops, and I usually wait to get the DVD/Blu-Ray because I like a tangible asset instead of an ethereal promise.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I generally wait for the home video version as well.

Shoes1916 and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's the best way for me as I like to own the movie and revisit it every so often.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This is why both Vickie and I are members of AMC's A*List program. It cost us roughly $20 a month to see three films every single week in any of AMC's theaters, including IMAX and Dolby Cinema.

[​IMG]

With it, we've seen Nobody several times. And of course we saw it on a huge screen, with a far better sound system than I could ever afford.

The only high priced streams that I've ever paid for were concerts - $35 for a Todd Rundgren live concert stream. And I'd probably pay $250 for a live stream of Kate Bush's Before The Dawn.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That's too much. I'd wait until it's 5 or 6 bucks

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.