'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

It does undoubtedly fit the Classics profile much more than the TP one though (forgotten/underrated, only released on CD titles, etc).

Blue Train is kind of the odd one out that's missing from the initial Classics list; I don't think I can think of any other titles that big that's not on the list, popularity and accessibility-wise.

Aegir likes this.
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I think the philosophy is more in line with Joe Harley’s vision, and has to deal more with his relationship with MMJ especially with Ron. They truly describe themselves as “brothers from another mother”. Joe being adamant about not re releasing MMJ as TPs always struck me more as a more personal thing to him, and I can appreciate and honor his “code” of respect. Like we know he can release stuff like blue train and he would make a ton of money off of it, but he’s choosing not to based on certain values he has and his relationships with others. I respect that.

now with the blue note corporation as a whole, we’ve seen anything is fair game with their bn80 or classics series and whatever it morphs into the future, so I’d expect that side of the org to have the warhorses.

Dignan2000, Usky, Szabo and 1 other person like this.
  3. It’s actually the opposite. Craft jumped in on what several other labels were already doing.

Szabo likes this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Quick question - is this divergent topic regarding the recent KOB AP UHQR announcement? I lost track of this thread for a few hours and can’t seem to find the original topic starter.

scotti likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The new Tone Poets are shipping out, so very nice. My local store has the Dexter Gordon for me to pick up on Thursday, but as of yesterday their suppliers had not gotten the Andrew Hill. I'm in no immediate hurry to hear One Flight Up since I already have the Cisco version, but Passing Ships need to make a permanent stop at my port this weekend for me to enjoy.

So I checked Amazon yesterday and says Friday delivery for Prime, so order placed.

How could I have missed the announcement (ha!), must have been doing something important like listening to music.

Dignan2000, Mugrug12, Ronnieb and 4 others like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Fabulous!!! Great record, one of my wishes has come true.

mpayan likes this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to listen to metaphysics yet? Im curious as mine is shipping on the long north bound train up here right now and has been on route for a while

8. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I love your enthusiasm Scotty! I can’t wait for Passing Ships this week. It’s been one of my most anticipated since it was hinted at last year. What a lineup and I can never get enough of Andrew Hill.

9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The people who assembled and curated this record did a very fine job of packaging and presentation. The mastering is clean with no extraneous noises and they went to the trouble to have the record pressed at QRP and it is totally flawless. The music conveys the same sense of wonder I have with his collaboration with Max Roach and found it equally as enjoyable the first time through. I'll be spending more time with this record in the foreseeable future.

Dignan2000, Gabe Walters and Stu02 like this.
  10. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Amazon telling me Dexter Gordon will be here Friday but Passing Ships not until June 16th. Seems normal...

11. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Some of those 25000 are first being sold at wholesale prices to other retailers, so the 2.5 million in revenue would even be too high.

markmck79 likes this.
  12. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

I agree 100%. Craft is piggybacking off of the market and business model established by companies like mofi and AP.

13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Ugh ... June 16th now for Passing Ships? Bummer.

14. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Mine too. This is great news!

Stu02 likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Blue Train surely will come again. Whether as a Tone Poet, a Classic Series, or something else. Whether Joe Harley will be involved or not. Time will tell.

dastinger, GentleSenator and trd like this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes, I posted about it when I got my subscribers' letter from Acoustic Sounds offering first dibs on low-number copies.

17. Josquin des Prez

Is it? Amazon still shows mine as shipping for a May 7 arrival.

18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's obvious that Joe's primary vision is to focus on many of the sessions that didn't get original releases,
    which from Joe's perspective are more interesting than 'copying' the standard LP's that are well known.

I personally disagree with this decision because that's going to hold some core titles of the Blue Note catalog hostage,
    from ever getting top quality reissue again, just because MMJ happened to release them. I'm just suggesting as a BN fan that's a mistake.
    I suppose BN could remove this dilemma by simply improving the quality of the Classic Series and the problem would be solved.

Just to be clear, i totally 'get' what the TP focus is, and think that's generally the right direction, but the
    decision to exclude something like Blue Train from ever getting the TP treatment, even in year 4
    seems like an overly rigid decision.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    indyalden and trd like this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Personally, I like what Joe is doing. For the classic warhorse titles I have and want the BN80/Classic series have been just fine. I side with Joe because I really like the titles he's doing for the most part. I would be disappointed if he started doing repeats instead.

Biff Jones, Dai, AnalogJ and 3 others like this.
  20. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

@Spazros indicated that Amazon is telling him the arrival date is now June 16th. Maybe that's a mistake. I am really looking forward to that album and was hoping to pick it up on Friday.

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

Agreed. And BN isn’t going to let Joe hold those titles hostage in perpetuity. No doubt there’s an agreement for some period of time in order to get Joe on board but it’s not like he can dictate whatever terms he wants regarding those titles to BN. They own the masters, if they want to put them out then they will. All good things in all good time, they’ll be HQ reissues of those titles ala the TP series, even if they have to call it something else

Spazros and DeRosa like this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yeah same, I tried to make a point which didn't land as well as yours did lol. Thank you!

The tone poet series is great because its different and not just a re-hash. I don't see any problem with the bn80 or classics series side of the BN catalog rehashing the warhorses, they sound great and Im sure BN is making a lot of money off of them and everyone out there can access them at a nice value price.

trd and Josquin des Prez like this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

When it comes to the Tone Poet series, Joe has the final say and final call, that was part of their agreement and Joe would have never agreed to do start the series if he didn't have full creative control.

For the final time for the people in the back - if you want the warhorses and repeat rehashes, its going to be through the classics or similar BN80 future type series. You will have to accept that the covers won't be as nice but in my experience the optimal pressing and KPG mastering are still very good sound!

Dignan2000, Joti Cover and trd like this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I do too, i've bought nearly every TP title.

But they've already done Cornbread, Cooker, My Point of View, Bass On Top, and next is One Flight Up.
    These are standards in the BN cannon, which don't fit the same mold as the overlooked sessions.
    I don't see there being any harm in slipping in some Tier 1 titles that deserve the best treatment.

25. Josquin des Prez

I think they might well allow Joe to continue as is and ignore the classic titles he said he wouldn't repeat. Don Was – with the Classic Series (and BN80 before that) – is taking the reins for BN on reissuing the classic titles with their own series. I think that's the point. BN does the warhorses and Joe/TP dig into lesser known gems of the catalog.