'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If anything, if people are looking for tier 1 style treatment of warhorses, I don't think we are far off from BN going the $125 super limited edition super fairy dust vinyl approach.

BE THANKFUL THEY ARE RELEASING THESE WARHORSES NOW FOR $20ish dollars! Accept the crappy covers because the wallet won't appreciate what they will want to do next, haha.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

I’m all the way up here in the front, thanks and I don’t think you and I are saying anything different. Except, I tend to think they’ll make a new TP style series for some of the old warhorses since they can charge a premium.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That solves the dilemma i've described too. It could very well explain why Blue Train in particular has been absent.

recstar24 and trd like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

You mean like what MMJ did with the SRX 33s and the creative pricing, that they started to protect us from distributor pricing games? :rolleyes:

I sure as hell don't want to see that again. :)

AaronW, dastinger, markmck79 and 3 others like this.
  5. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Understand TP staying clear of the warehouses, but what about some of the more obscure MMJ and AP45's? Being that they are mostly OOP, I think it would be fair game for TP to consider re-issuing these on 33. Happenings, Soothsayer, Street of Dreams, No Room for Squares, to name a few. I suppose wishful thinking on my part.

mackeyse, Stu02, Kimiimacman and 2 others like this.
  6. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Whims of Chambers and Sonny Rollins vol 2 would be two other classic titles they could do without repeating any MMJ releases. They were both only released by AP.

mgb70, Mugrug12, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

That will have to change for those in the same regard as MMJ. Joe's original mandate was that Tone Poet would not repeat MMJ, AP, and Classic Records. Maybe that can change as TP series gets into a fourth season and beyond, but don't hold your breath.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Im sensing a pattern here :) it is as if people are wanting MM titles in MM quality but for much cheaper and closer to the $30-$35 range, huh who would have guessed haha

Dignan2000, timzigs, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  9. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

One two many zeros my friend! Still a quarter of a million ain’t chump.

10. El Dave

El Dave Forum Resident

Hopefully. My local record store (Vancouver, Canada) said AP is not offering these wholesale right now and are not telling their retailers if they will (or at least my store's rep isn't saying). I'm sure that's fine for US customers (I saw $12 shipping options), but in CAN it's $56US shipping and maybe import fees on top of it.

I can't imagine AP is going to sell 25k copies direct-to-consumer and are only doing this for the first run, but still. Seems gross to be undermining brick and mortar shops at any time, but especially as they're trying to recover from a year+ of lockdown.

LaBowe likes this.
  11. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

remedial math for you

12. 25,000 x 100 is 2.5 million

Aeryn Sun, mackeyse and Kimiimacman like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh how I like my local store. Just back from the hospital where I had my full blood work done once again (every three months) and my doctor put a nice smile on my face, all my counts are the best they have been in a while with my iron level as high as its ever been. No wonder why I love audiophile 45 records so much, I have plenty of energy to keep flipping sides...plus the sound is pretty good.

So he got Passing Ships confirmed and in stock and for $5 dollars less than Amazon, only $35 and One Flight Up for $25, can pick them both up Thursday as long as I can get my wife's car. I'll steal it if I have to, these are new Tone Poets we are talking about here!

Just a great day to listen to music, when is it not. And I'm actually taking a break from buying anymore records for a while. I'm up to the challenge and know I can hold back the temptation with ease.

And if Joe starts releasing the mainstream tiles, I'm giving him a call and we will have a nice talk. The Tone Poet team needs to stay the course and continue as is. Plus they already have so many more records on the way that never got the love they deserve. I love this series just the way it is!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  14. Josquin des Prez

You flunk the math midterm. You'll need to repeat the semester. LOL

15. Josquin des Prez

Notwithstanding the SRX versions of MMJ (which I think are overpriced and a small bang for the extra cost), the Tone Poets are every bit as good as the MMJ 33s I have, in terms of sound quality and packaging.

Aeryn Sun, Matadore, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  16. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Both Passing Ships and One Flight Up are May 7th for me on Amazon.

timzigs and scotti like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Looks like for now they only have Passing Ships for Friday arrival, but of course that could change. I preordered the Andrew Hill through Amazon yesterday but canceled it today when I found out my local store would get it this week. Always like supporting them when I can.

Dubmart and Tlay like this.
  18. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

I was always under the impression that it was just MMJ out of loyalty...plus they’ve already released titles like The Cooker which was on Classic as well.

19. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

I bought mine from a local dealer in Ottawa, and he told me the copies are guaranteed...I may have to wait, but it was 150 Canadian taxes in.

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

Sorry, I'm certain your impression is wrong. Joe spelled it out himself when the series was first kicking off. It might even be in the early pages of this thread.

21. El Dave

El Dave Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I got a text from my guy in Van an hour ago saying they got it sorted out and yep - $150 CAD here too.

22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Scotti, congrats -- it seems that all these great records and listening sessions could be the cause of your excellent results. They say the majority of illnesses are stress-related, so seems time well spent for all of us :)

But tell me that you couldn't have a little understanding for a TP 33 of Happenings??? :D

Tlay and scotti like this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

BN could do another premium series, maybe even on super vinyl and TP could continue on as is. That's probably the best combination.
    There isn't anything wrong with the idea that TP's are the 'hidden gems' but it shouldn't be the only place in the catalog
    to get a decent quality pressing and jacket.

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I like the way you think...maybe a series called Tone Poet Classics as a spinoff, plus the brand is established. I'm with you as I would rather have the better pressing/jacket/sleeve and pay the few extra.

25. trd

trd Forum Resident

Totally agree with you

scotti likes this.