The RoboCop 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I guess I probably wouldn't like it if RoboCop is barely in it!

Maggie likes this.
  2. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

RoboCop 2 has a superior script to that.

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I don't disagree that the produced version of RoboCop 2 is superior to the Corporate Wars draft script, although the latter has some very interesting ideas and disturbing set pieces. Much of the credit for the success of RoboCop 2 has to go to Walon Green, who was given the task of whipping Frank Miller's massive and unfocused original RoboCop 2 draft into shape, and making it more closely resemble the first movie. Virtually all of the elements Green cut out of Miller's draft were recycled into RoboCop 3.

A completed Corporate Wars would have been much more ambitious than the produced version of Robocop 2, but not necessarily better.

Timeline Man likes this.
  4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I also read that they offered the job of writing the script to Alan Moore and Frank Miller. Moore said no.

Chrome_Head and Timeline Man like this.
  5. Timeline Man

Weird enough, RoboCop has some points in common with Swamp Thing, especially in regards to the concept of "identity".

Chrome_Head and Juan Matus like this.
  6. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Despite good reactions at the time, a lot of the real warmth Robocop has received took decades to build. Probably because 30 years on, the film's satire is more on the nose now than it was back then.

As someone who was in his teens, I can say that in 1987 the film was embraced surprisingly against yes, somewhat low expectations. Kids always thought it was cool from the get-go, because kids aren't afraid to love something that looks or sounds stupid!

Yet three years later, in my same circle of teen friends who thought Robocop was great, none of them was excited about a sequel. Not one. Had zero to do with bad word of mouth, since the film hadn't been screened. Everyone was more into PREDATOR, LETHAL WEAPON/DIE HARD franchises, and the rebirth of martial arts action (Steven Seagal was at his height from 1988-1991).

7. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

In the commentary included on that Arrow Video release of the film with Paul Verhoeven he even says they were embarrassed by the title after a while. I remember saying it was a great film to somebody once, and they looked at me like I was nuts. I had to explain the whole thing was a huge satire, and a great action flick on top of that.
    Well these threads attract admirers of the film, especially when they have "appreciation thread" in the title. I don't think Oatsdad is flaming, he's just got a different perspective, and if I know anything about him, he's not afraid of arguing it!

Chrome_Head and Glaeken like this.
  8. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Poor Orion. BACK TO SCHOOL, REMO, and CODE OF SILENCE were all great movies.

Timeline Man likes this.
  9. Timeline Man

As simple as that, both RoboCop and RoboCop 2 were critical "sleeper hits" which needed time to develop avid fans and ADULT admirers. Before that, they were just regarded as video hits loved by kids.

10. Timeline Man

REMO is a cult classic. In Italy, it was a hit.

11. Roman Potato Chip

I wouldn't go that far, I mean the two biggest critics of the day really enjoyed the first flick right away, particularly Siskel.

NaturalD likes this.
  12. Roman Potato Chip

Can't say the same of the sequel!

NaturalD and SRC like this.
  13. Maggie

I think you overstate the point a little. The Criterion edition of RoboCop came out in the mid-'90s (LD first, then on DVD in '98), indicating it was already being taken seriously as a classic by then.

But you're right. The main way that the reception of the first film has changed over time is that its satirical aims have become more apparent. Certainly when I was a kid (I saw it when I was 6 or 7, so in the very early '90s), the movie was not widely considered funny or satirical -- nor was Starship Troopers. In retrospect this seems like insanity, but satire has always been the hardest art to grasp.

But when I was a kid, just speaking anecdotally, everyone I knew was into RoboCop.

Chrome_Head and Timeline Man like this.
  14. Timeline Man

Some of their reviews and stances are controversial, to say the least!

RoboCop 2 was fastly addressed for its violence and depiction of kids, very ahead of its time.

15. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the new generation doesn't like or get RoboCop at all. You'd be hard pressed to find too many young people who enjoy it (and probably half of those were introduced to it by parents).

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

What are you basing that assumption on?

17. Timeline Man

No, it's not RoboCop's "fault". Young people have NOT YET discovered eighties classics. AFter all, I was born in 1977, and I discovered many sixties and seventies classics only when I turned 30 or so.

18. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I wasn't going to bring this up, because most people hated PRIME DIRECTIVES but... technically I am in that movie.

The screenwriter was an acquaintance and offered to get me a bit part or extra part during filming. I was in college and couldn't just pack up and go to Canada, so... he offered to put me in a different way.

There's a parody news update with a tribute to fallen police officers, featuring a list of names that scrolls forever. I'm in there.

My big Hollywood break... not!

Timeline Man likes this.
  19. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Just anecdotally. Most younger people I've talked to know the name, but have either not seen the movie or think it's stupid.

The poor box office return on the remake would seem to bear it out. I suspect most of the ticket buyers were curious fans of the original who saw it in 1987.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Timeline Man

LOL, this is great! Kudos.

By the way, despite being a huge RoboCop fan, I never watched "Prime Directives". Hopefully it will be released on HD somewhere in time.

Glaeken likes this.
  21. Timeline Man

Too bad the remake did not feature RoboCop, but Alex Murphy encased in a robot body.

22. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

It's on Amazon Prime currently.

To be fair to Joe, he got the essence of what made RoboCop tick, and was determined to make something that, while a TV movie, avoided the "kiddie" aspect while still being comic-bookish. Budget, format, and cast limitations aside, I think he did okay.

Some ideas are inspired from deleted scenes or discarded screenplays. For example there is a scene where RoboCop visits his grave, gets angry and smashes his tombstone. That scene was filmed but never used for ROBOCOP 2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Timeline Man likes this.
  23. Timeline Man

On Amazon... on HD?

The grave scene would be cool to see, but maybe a step a bit too far from the concept... just don't forget: RoboCop is not really Murphy. Even if he likes to believe so.

24. Maggie

It's...34 years old. How many 34-year-old movies were you into as a "young person"?

Timeline Man likes this.
  25. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Lots actually. Off the top of my head, every Universal monster movie especially the Creature from the Black Lagoon. The Hammer films. 2001. Godzilla. The Marx Brothers.

Maggie likes this.