'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

I’ll take your word for it. I’ve only ever seen anything in here about Mmj, but it’s possible I missed something along the way. I guess they made an exception for The Cooker, because that was definitely released by Classic Records.

2. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

That’s great!

3. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

I just listened to Passing Ships for the first time on Spotify. Wow!!! Wished I’d ordered the TP when it was at preorder prices

4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Classic Records version was mono.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  5. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Although true his point is valid perhaps because one could argue then that TP releases of mono Warhorses would qualify which I’d lay money on JH would dismiss.

6. Kimiimacman

Duh, what a klutz! Right;

1x2=2
    2x2=4...

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  7. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Was it The Record Centre?

8. Josquin des Prez

Another Classic Records mono coming this year is Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60), so I bet it'll be stereo. I'll ask.

9. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

Ron Carter (who celebrates his 84th birthday today ) his bass playing on Passing Ships is from other planet. I hope this TP will reproduce those bass lines in your face and I’m eagerly awaiting this release to cross the ocean very soon.

10. Kimiimacman

11. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

12. Josquin des Prez

LOL...that's a hell of a run-on sentence and I have little idea what you're really trying to communicate. I guess your prose skills compete with your math skills. :laugh:

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Joe did say that the Tone Poet series wouldn’t repeat MMJ, AP, or Classic. It’s in this thread. However, that was at the outset of the program. As it was renewed for another year and then as an ongoing concern, it’s repeated Classic Records several times. Not just The Cooker, but also Money Jungle, Byrd in Flight, and Further Explorations of the Horace Silver Quintet. Maybe one or two others; I’m going by memory.

Dignan2000, trd, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  14. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Amazon telling me June 16th but I ordered it recently (two weeks ago), so hopefully yours shows up on time and we get a review.

15. Josquin des Prez

I ordered Jan 13.

16. Josquin des Prez

I guess I don't mind Classic repeats since I don't have all that many. I have the majority of MMJ and AP. I'm selfishly happy for Joe to continue without the warhorses. :)

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

One of the few greats still living. It's amazing when you think on how many albums Ron played. He was everywhere!

Btw, he has a YouTube channel that's not very well known, unfortunately. I'm sure he'd love all our support. Go check it out:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCqonShKcEA9ZPDs5HeuXN4g

wellers73, RyeB, Stu02 and 1 other person like this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Amazon.ca says I should have both the new Tone Poets next week, I remain skeptical.

Spazros and DeRosa like this.
  19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

And Jamaican-born Dizzy Reece, who recently turned 90, plays on this as well. Hoping Joe can bring us Blues in Trinity down the road.

20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I would think that ultimately Blue Note and Don Was controls what comes out and what doesnt?

I dont think now would be a good time to change up the plan as far as Tone Poets due to the nature of everything so backlogged in the pressing plants and the demand for lps doubling or tripling.

However, I think once things chill out a bit (and I believe they will eventually) I would definitely like to see some of the MMJ titles come back as nice gatefold 33's. "Blue Train"? Sure (eventhough Im not a huge fan of the album) but even more so some of the more difficult and pricey MMJ titles.

Id certainly take "The Procrastinator" or "Happenings" or "Mode For Joe" over "Minor Move" and a couple of other lesser titles that Tone Poet has put out.

In the mean time there are some great titles sprinkled through out the year and the beginning of next year for Tone Poet imo.

Months away but I am really looking forward to "Stick Up!". Thats one awesome album imo.

trd likes this.
  22. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

A couple of months I played and reviewed in the Listening to Jazz thread all of his BN work and Blues in Trinity was by far his best.

timzigs likes this.
  24. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

No...The Sound Choice. He’s awesome! Super organized, charges fair prices and drops my records off on my doorstep free of charge!

Pushpaw likes this.
  25. Another vote for Stick Up right here. I have the cd of it but I'd love that on vinyl. Heck, I'll buy any Bobby Hutcherson in this series. Montara is my vote for the next choice.

Crazysteve, Stu02 and mpayan like this.