Free* to a good home

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by returnstackerror, May 3, 2021.

1. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Good on you - sweet as!

From an Aucklander.

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Giving away an Ayre piece of equipment ??????

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

You have to step up next.

LOL

M~

jusbe likes this.
  4. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Lordy. Lordy of the Ringsy.

You know what, though, I have got some rare tube items I should part with. Can't afford to give them away at the moment, sadly.

Does this Forum have a selling platform? Is it any good?

5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here

It worked for me the one time that I used it.

M~

jusbe likes this.
  6. returnstackerror

returnstackerror Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did stick some minor stuff on trademe a few times (with reasonable prices) but never got a nibble.

As per my intro, most of the stuff is US voltage with no NZ (and sometimes OZ) dealers/support so its better they head home so they can get support when/if needed.

To summarize a discussion I had with @macster, I recently retired from a job (that I loved) that took excessive amounts of time and suck up all the patience I have.

In retirement, its easier (mentally) for me to lose a few bucks and let others deal with the shipping.

Peter

macster and jusbe like this.
  7. returnstackerror

The turntable and arm were the crown jewels.

8. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

That's really generous of you , I'm sure that everyone here appreciates it... and you know that the gear will be well taken cared of .
    Enjoy your retirement in N.Z !

jusbe and macster like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

At first glance I thought this said "computer based audio was still manure" :laugh:

bever70 likes this.
  10. macster

macster Forum Resident

Man

I sure hope everyone else has an easier time than I did for the shipping.

Good luck.

M~

benzo likes this.
  11. returnstackerror

Must be my Kiwi accent...

head_unit, Dave and bever70 like this.
  12. returnstackerror

This is a cool forum and 99% of the peoples on here (as best I can tell) are all caring and sharing types.

So I view it as kinda payback (in the right type of way) to the good peoples of the community.

I have never been a great poster on SHM but have been a lurker for years and enjoyed all the vigorous debates esp. the MQA threads!!!!

Incoming popcorn!!!!

head_unit, benzo, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  13. returnstackerror

So we have three categories of shippers:

- small and light (TT motor control/toneatms)
    - the 17" units (phono/dac/dvd etc)
    - the big TT

So looking at the 17" units group, @thekingpin (Bryston DAC) looked at what fedex calls it 10kg (22 lb) box and got a quote for US$240 (but that box is too small for the 17" units) then looked at what I assume was the 20" x 20" x 12" box and got a something close to $NZ1000.

I got a quote two days ago for the TT (at 35kg) using my fedex account for around $US 1200/$NZ 1500 so there is a disconnect somewhere here.

So for those in the 17" category, hold off. I will ring Fedex NZ tomorrow (I am also going there as well to drop of the Eagle power supply) and see whats what.

I was told earlier by fedex that they due to covid they dont do international economy (not sure how covid would affect international economy... sounds like a money grabbing exercise).

For the TT, I did also check with a local, well known freight company and they quoted aroind $NZ 1000 for 35kg and it would hit the US by the end of May (which isnt too bad).

So if I cant get to the bottom of the fedex cost differences we have two options for the 17" people or even the lighter packages:

1- we send individual fedex packages via my fedex account
    2- do an group ship via the freight company to one of "you fellas" in the US and then they are sent locally to the varous people.

The issue I see with an grouped, omnibus approach is US customs might slap duty it where as seperate packages are more likely to slip through.

The TT will remain as standalone item given its weight.

Peter

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  14. returnstackerror

thinking about this further, we see:

bryston BDA-1: 15 lbs (7kg)
    Bryston BP26 with power supply 28 lb. (12 Kg)
    Lexicon RT20 17.2lbs. (8kg)

So thats ~27kg before packaging which with packaging will be less than the 35kg for the TT or probably less than $US1000 for the lot (with the cost pro-rated by weight of each unit)

So maybe a group ship via the freight company is best. I will look into that tomorrow.

Even if you get charged duty its would still be less than fedex (unless there is a miracle with them tomorrow)

Peter

15. returnstackerror

Bugger it.. lets do all of them together (aside from BillWojo with the TT and macster who has the smallest item and is shipping tomorrow)

benzo - Gets the BP26
    Slippers-on - Gets the Ayre Phone amp
    glide - Gets the Michell TechnoArm
    sjp - Gets the Lexicon RT20
    hammr7 - Gets the Audiomod Tonearm
    thekingpin - gets the BDA-1

its 1am in NZ so between the 6 persons above, can you decide who will be the receiver of the 6 items so when I wake up tomorrow I have a shipping address.

PM me the details.

I can then get a quote tomorrow for all 6 items as one shipment from the freight company and confirm arrival date.

I will make some assumptions on the insurance (based on typical used prices) and then give you prorated prices based on package weight.

If after getting the costings, you as individuals can then drop out if you want.

Peter

16. returnstackerror

potential modified/better plan using the freight company:

1- a package to benzo as the BP 26 is most of the weight
    2- a package to either Slippers-on or thekingpin with BDA-1 and Ayre phono (weights are about the same )
    3- a package to either sjp or glide or hammr7 with the Lexicon RT20 and the two tone arms (makes sense its sjp is they have the heaviest item)

This means three of the six items arrive at the final destination first up and reduces the work for two receivers who have less packages to forward.

It also reduces the potential for import duty.

Might cost a bit more overall but I think its a better plan

This is what I will work towards unless someone objects.

Can:

- Slippers-on / thekingpin
    - sjp / glide / hammr7

decide who will be the receiver

thanks

benzo likes this.
  17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm open to this, let's see how the rates shake out.

macster likes this.
  18. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

You have pictures and weights?

19. macster

macster Forum Resident

It still looks like a win win situation. Fed Ex could have made this a lot easier, but hats off to the OP for making this effort just for us. Wow, it reaffirms my faith in humanity.

M~

Audiowannabee, benzo and SJP like this.
  20. thekingpin

thekingpin Forum Resident

I totally appreciate this kind accommodation from you. PM’d you and Slippers-on.

Slippers-on likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If it doesn't materialize for any of the previously named members, I'm game for the Bryston DAC no matter what the cost is.

22. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds

dude, to OP.. you are very kind and generous for doing this! very respectable and i hope good things happen for you...

sometimes, its suspicious to send money, but it seems like this is a pretty straight forward deal and you seem pretty legit! (here's hoping)

anyway, super kind of you once again!

23. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

What a legend. If only I was a little earlier eh!!

24. returnstackerror

Yeah I am legit, have all original invoices (which I will send with the gear), have posted videos to the "winners" of each component being tested by my for insurance purposes a few months back (think every input/output, every playback format etc).

I am extremely OCD!!. (upon reflection, OCD might not be the right word but I am extremely obsessive about procedure, process and form)

Sure its sounds weird but I just woke up a couple of days ago, pondered all the good stuff I had lying around doing zip and made this move.

I have no regrets (I never do... once I make a decision its all steam ahead).

It actually exciting for me... just thinking through the process, planning the packing (esp the TT), talking with the various shippers etc.

Maybe I should change my SHM handle to CrazyMFker?

Peter

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    thekingpin likes this.
  25. macster

macster Forum Resident

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

M~