Bon Scott Appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, May 4, 2021.

1. 80steen

80steen John McClane Thread Starter

The older I get the more I think we really missed out on a great decade of classic rock and roll albums during the 80s with Bon's death. This IS NOT a knock on Brian Johnson, who I like quite a bit and he no doubt has immortalized the Back In Black album and some other performances. Still, Bon was so very unique and he so fit that AC/DC sound. His vocals seem to blend better with the Young's guitar work than Brian's. Possibly a compliment to Brain in that he could have been a great rock singer in general, as we know he already was. AC/DC had a sound that certainly fit him too and would have fit a lot of good rock singers, but it seemed as if the band's sound was meant for Bon. It could be the rock blues of course they leaned heavily on that was better for Bon, but whatever it was, those AC/DC Bon albums, everyone of them in a masterpiece to me because of him.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Bon was one of the greats...
    Bon and Angus were a big part of my youth

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Easily in the top five for greatest frontmen of all time. His attitude, macho image along with his howl and scowl can never be matched.

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Nothing against Brian, but AC/DC was never the same one Bon passed away. Who knows what would have happened if he was on Back In Black.

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Bon was unique. And America was just discovering them when we heard he died. Damn. But at the time, 1980, we were then hit with a masterpiece of rock that was Back in Black. Only then did we begin to go back and "discover " the great songs from Bon. The live "If you want blood" lp absolutely captures their young, raw energy with Bon. Idiot that he was! Sorry, but I'm still angry all these years later for his drinking so much that he choked himself. He was robbed of his life and us his music.

7. 80steen

For me the biggest difference in the band without Bon isn't that Brain wasn't great, but that I can easily skip some songs that are very similar with Brian. We all know that even in the Bon era the band had a lot of similar riffs, however, with Bon it didn't matter. His voice alone made every song worthwhile.

8. 80steen

Same with John Bonham. I don't get why these guys had to drink so heavily in one setting. I guess back in those days they weren't informed about dying on your back when you pass out cold. Even though it's Bon's fault, I always wonder what if his friend would have just laid him on his side by pure chance, or even on his belly with his head hanging off the seat.

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I don't actively listen to AC/DC. They became so ubiquitous that I guess I never felt the need to buy any of their albums. I did see them with Bon about six months before his death, opening for Ted Nugent, of all people. They were great, and my friends and I left about 2/3rds through Ted's set.

It's hard to imagine that band being any more successful if Bon had lived, but I agree that there was no one else like him.

changeling69 and 80steen like this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I appreciate and miss him.

11. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Bon Scott was the voice of AC/DC and a huge loss
    Brian seems a nice enough bloke but I do not like his vocals at all

Tim 2 and WinstonOno like this.
  12. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

A happy Bon Scott from 50 years ago when his band, Fraternity (last act), won the 1971 National Battle of the Sounds competition...

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It's so very cliche to say things like What a loss or It was never the same, but with Bon it more than applies. Even if you throw out his image of tight jeans, tattoos and his various facial expressions, his voice was like no other in rock history. I mean his personality through his voice just dominated those albums, and they were his lyrics as well. Even had the lyrics been written by the Youngs, his voice still would have been essential. Knowing that voice was from the lyricist makes it even better.

14. Price.pittsburgh

Elaborating more on my post, I don't think it's a stretch to refer to Bon as brilliant. His lyrics with his delivery created a perfect image.

Vinyl_Blues, Rob6899, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  15. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Same here. Some of my best memories in the late 70's was listening to AC DC with my older sister who is 9 years older than me. I remember getting mad at her when she came home with a Van Halen record, instead of another AC DC, one.

Recently picked up an old vinyl copy of Dirty Deeds - sounds great.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of the all time greats!!!

17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

The greatest frontman ever IMHO

18. Price.pittsburgh

19. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

Powerage was Bon's brilliant dark masterpiece...

20. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

Had AC/DC not peaked musically in 1980, Bon would have been even more celebrated and commeratted, both immediately and over time. However, due Back In Black sort of becoming their debut album to millions of new fans and them not even knowing it really was Brian's debut album with them, it took a good amount of time for Bon to really be appreciated. The YouTube era has certainly help too.

21. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

I shook hands and spoke to Bon at Oak Flats High way back when he was the singer of a Sydney band called The Valentines......only that I don't remember the event :):)......yep, I was totally drunk and I was at a high school gig featuring Bon Scott and others....they were completely unknown outside of Australia. My mates told me later I had shaken hands with Bon and exchanged a coupla words, but to date, I still cannot remember it all....damn !!!!:(:(

22. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

23. Head Gardener

Head Gardener Forum Resident

I took a trip on the Highway To Hell (A932) to pay my respects at the statue in Bon's birthplace Kirriemuir, Scotland recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not just " these guys " I think most of us experienced a heavy drinking continuum.

Rob6899 and changeling69 like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good link, hadn't seen that one before. :righton:

Price.pittsburgh likes this.