Yamaha A-S801 Or Marantz PM8006?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Wait until you try Ardbeg or Laphroaig ... those will curl your nose hairs ;>)

CBackley likes this.
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Sorry your first impressions aren't all you had hoped.

jusbe likes this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

When I would pop an Islay before my wife would get home from work, she would walk in the front door and smell it a room away!

LeBud likes this.
  4. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

You've probably checked but maybe make sure you haven't reversed + and - on your speakers. Can definitely affect bass and soundstage.

5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is one thing I make sure is correct.

6. rockin_since_58

Well not even 15"woofers woofers satisfy with the Marantz.

[​IMG]

7. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Just gotta give it some burn in time. My SS amps have generally needed 50-100+ hours of play to sound filled out. The caps and such need time to burn in. You're also making me wonder if the Vincent may have had some kind of V curve voicing, as usually these Japanese amps are very neutral(sometimes to a fault).

8. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

I'd give it a little more time but if it isn't cutting it, I'd call MD and see what they can suggest. I would think they will want to keep a sale on something and I'm sure they will let you swap it out for something else. Maybe even cut you a deal.

9. rockin_since_58

I have 5 days off this week so I will let it run non-stop and see if it improves.

10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Nectar of the gods, my friend.

CBackley, rockin_since_58 and LeBud like this.
  11. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Maybe you got a dud ... it does happen sometimes.
    I had a PM8005 a while ago and I didn't have the issues that you're describing ... in fact it sounded pretty good right out of the box.
    Back in 2017 I bought a CD6006 , it was brand new but would read any discs... had to return it for another one.
    I still have it and it's working flawlessly.

12. rockin_since_58

Gonna give up on this for tonight as this is totally unlistenable. I will let it run overnight with headphones plugged in and see how it sounds tomorrow.

13. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Have you tried it with and without Source Direct on?

14. rockin_since_58

Yes, it is even worse with Source Direct. Not much better than a transistor radio. I think I will most likely box it up tomorrow and contact MD for a return. All 3 of my other amps blow this away.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

Yamaha has entered the chat

Anaplian, Clonesteak, PaulJay and 2 others like this.
  16. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It was an open box deal? May be why it was on offer at a discount. A possible returned unit for just the issues you describe.

17. rockin_since_58

Yes, it was an open box/factory refurbished.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I hope you won't judge the breed by one suspect example. I can understand your disappointment, I have been there myself.

jusbe likes this.
  19. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yep. I love my A-S801. Never heard this Marantz unit. Hope the OP’s unit burns in well. Or at least he has enough Scotch to make it sound like it’s burned in.

LeBud, PaulJay, lonelysea and 3 others like this.
  20. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

Love my PM7000N. Something weird happening here with this unit.

21. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

Sorry to hear that.

The lack of the loudness button was the only reason I bought the PM 6006 instead of the PM 8006.

The PM 6006 sounded right out of the box.

Reading your last posts I think your PM 8006 seems to be defective, if you can't adjust the sound to your liking even by turning the bass and treble up and down.

Bye Andrea :wave:

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

There's no "burn-in" that's going to fix something you don't like about this amp. 50-100 hours of burn-in as one poster stated is absolute nonsense. Return it, it's not for you. Most of us with these love them.

23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Oh..didn’t know it was a refurb, no need for run in....I’d send it back if It was me and get a spanking brand new one.

CBackley likes this.
  24. rockin_since_58

I let run overnight with the headphones plugged in and there is no improvement in the SQ. It just sounds very thin and lifeless.

With my Mac 1900, Vincent SV237 MK and Onkyo A-9555 they all sounded fantastic from day one. The problem with the Mac now is that the power transformer hums loud enough that I can hear it in between tracks and during quiet passages. The way I deal with this is I am using for TV audio in the living room and it resides in an enclosed cabinet which contains the noise.

I am sure everyone here is well aware of the issues with the Vincent.

The Onkyo provides the audio for the TV in our bedroom. It is a digital amp and was my main amp for many years. It is just not up to the level of the Vincent. I could live with this one if I had no money to buy another amp.

I am going to spend a few more hours with the Marantz before calling MD later today.

25. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

One thing that struck me about Sean's review of the A-S801 at Zero Fidelity is that he does say the midrange is fuller and richer on the Yamaha compared to the Marantz. So maybe all the burn in the world won't change the character of the amp.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.