$20 to stream "rent" a current movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tim S, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Not sure what people are thinking the alternative should be, if $20 for a home viewing for a theatrical release is too much for them. Do you think the content providers should charge something more like a measly $5, letting four or five people watch at home for that cheap price, instead of spending $50+ at a theater? Or should all theatrical releases just stay in the theater during that initial window, no online home rental option, even during the pandemic?

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same here.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  3. Well in the case of the latter releases, it’s not nonsense. The quality jumped from VHS to laser disc to DVD and again to Blu. While the difference isn’t as dramatic (depending on the source, transfer, etc.) for Blu to Blu 4K, it is significant on the right screen.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

It's definitely not nonsense in that the quality IS better, but in the same way that gold CDs are better than regular, and vinyl usually better than either.

For the vast majority of people, DVDs are 100% fine, and the ONLY reason older formats obsoleted is greed, specifically the desire to have people replace their libraries yet AGAIN (or better yet, be unable to play their libraries at all, with the studio owning the only copies & charging for each viewing), hence my reference to:

16mm - 8mm - Super 8 - Laser disc - Beta - VHS - DVD - Bluray - 4K

What drives these changes isn't technical advancement, though that may (sometimes/incidentally) occur.

It's all about the Benjamins that can be gathered in as people buy their 10th copies of Oz, Star Wars, I Love Lucy, etc. in the new (soon to be obsoleted!) format du jour.

So we're both right I'm pleased to say!

:righton:

5. Godolphin

Godolphin Forum Resident

with about 2 or 3 clicks of the mouse I can watch any movie ever made for free, I don't have to download anything, I don't have to do anything complicated, I can stream any new or classic movie for free, why would I pay any money to the richest people on earth to watch anything? I'm baffled by people talking about their multiple subscriptions, money is for food, rent, y'know real things of value.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Fair price - what is going to the movies like 10 bucks? I'd just wait for it to "come out" and the price drop to 3.99 or whatever the usual rental is.

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

20 bucks to stream/rent a movie?
    Ahahaha!
    Yeah, Nah.
    This is why the 'torrent' industry is alive and well.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I've sailed those seas myself. Streaming shows on free services like that seems like you'd be watching it on a potato, compared to actually downloading.

9. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

The wife and I watched it on Hulu ($5.99 a month) this past weekend for no additional cost. It was alright.

10. Manutius

Manutius Well-Known Member

That and worse is what awaits you if you don't support physical media.

FACE OF BOE and Holerbot6000 like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

At $20 to stream a new release, even if you watch it solo, microwave some popcorn and pour 20 Oz of soda and you have spent under $22 compared to say $14 + 7 + 6 = $27 at a multiplex. And you can pause it to go to bathroom and are less likely to get a terminal illness.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

With our AMC A*List subscription, each film costs us $1.83 ($21.95 ÷ 12 films a month).

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice deal. I never went to see enough films to make that worthwhile and it will be a rare event going forward.

But I spent under $15/day to ski 40 times this year with a pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.