Dexter...first time watcher

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

No, this is bad nitpicking. Shows do this all the time, ALL shows. Fill the gaps by yourself.
    We don't know the specifics of the skyscraper. Maybe it was abandoned for some reasons? We don't know those.
    I don't remember the episode very well, but I'm sure that there's an obvious explanation.
    This is just unnecessary nitpicking.

Veronica Mars and Brenald79 like this.
  2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

His comment wasn't nitpicking, because it was part of a pattern of terribly lazy writing and awful plot ideas that the show embarrassed itself with for the entire second half of its run. This seems to be the general consensus of the users on this thread, and the internet community at large. Dexter is regularly named checked as one of the worst series finales of all time, also. <moderator edit>

Pete Puma, Scowl and George Co-Stanza like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Yeah, Dexter is still one of my favorite shows ever, but while there were plenty of great moments in the back half, the overall quality dropped off big time after Season 4. The awesomeness of Michael C. Hall pretty much kept it watchable till the bitter, wood-chopping end.

Scott222C likes this.
  4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Dexter's son was right there the entire time that Dexter somehow dragged Colin Hank's unconscious body down the skyscraper to his car. We were supposed to believe that Dexter's son didn't see his father do this. This is a gap I cannot fill.

If you can accept this then that's great, but was a supernatural feat to my brain and smacked of a writer choosing what sounded like an exciting and dramatic ending to the season and discovering too late there was no logical way to stage it.

5. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I like the entire shows, all seasons. Of course, some are better than others. It’s hard to top 1, 2 and 4.

Almost all of the characters were interesting or likable in some way, which is pretty unusual. Not sure if I liked LaGuerta really.

The new antagonist for each season is a device that one has to except. I didn’t mind it much, but I didn’t find the Colin Hanks character to be particularly menacing, or Jordan Chase for that matter. Not after Trinity.

My only problem with the last season was Deb dying and just the way it played it out in general. She was one of the only “good guys” on the show. There were a lot of improbably things going on throughout. I was perfectly fine with Dexter ending up in Alaska. Maybe he’ll be friends with Jesse Pinkman, and hopefully not kill him.

MoonPool, Scott222C and Veronica Mars like this.
  6. Timeline Man

He covered the body, making it look like a package or something else. Dex does this all the time. Fill the gaps by yourself, we don't need a spoon.

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. SRC

The Colin Hanks season had an ending "twist" that was painfully obvious from the first episodes. But that dragging the body stuff, that kind of bizarro stuff started for me as cracks as the ceiling as early as the generally lauded season 4. There was a scene in that season where the previously super-careful Dexter was suddenly running around on a roof in broad daylight wearing his "kill outfit" chasing after someone with a syringe. Yes, anything can be explained away, but for me that was the first WTF moment, of which there would be countless more in the seasons to come.

One of the most egregious bits of bad and lazy plotting was when LaGuerta, who just happened to be the only person to still suspect that Doakes was innocent, just happened to be the last person standing around doing absolutely nothing at a big crime scene, and then just happened to catch a glimmer of something tiny underneath some kind of floor grate, which just happened to be the microscopic slides that she was looking for related to Doakes. That was terrible.

Scowl likes this.
  8. Timeline Man

That's life, coincidences. It doesn't matter who discovered that. If some other Policeman found the slide, well, then LaGuerta would eventually know that. But it doesn't matter. Life works that way, for everyone in the world. Concidences. I think you're going hyperbole on this.

THAT said, you missed the point. The more "human" Dexter becomes season by season, the more he becomes less careful and thus does terrible mistakes. That's one of the interesting and fascinating aspects of his story-arc.

The writing of the series is wonderful, but even more solid and wonderful is the story-arc. By Season 8, Dexter commits terrible mistakes, because he's more human, almost human, and less psychopath.

MoonPool and Brenald79 like this.
  9. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

So he covered Colin Hanks (not a body yet, but whatever!) right in front of his son with a box that we didn't see him bring and his son instantly forgot that was the man who almost killed him! Yes, it makes perfect sense now!

SRC likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't quite get all the hate for the way Dexter ended. I mean, it was a bit too simple and tiday, but it wasn't hideous. It wasn't "and then I woke up" or "and then I hit my head and I lost my propensity to kill ever again." Dexter was never going to have a happy ending, and they didn't give him one.

I think the Colin Hanks season as a whole was far worse. And some of the plot developments later on were far worse than the ending itself. Having his sister figure it out was the beginning of the end, I think. After that, an essential dynamic was lost. The appearance of mom could have been interesting, but instead just became a clumsy plot device with a lousy resolution. The best plot device was discovering that Chuck's CIA wife was actually a serial killer :)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  11. Timeline Man

12. Timeline Man

That was essential. Debra was not (SIMPLY) his sister, she was his "cosmic lover". Having her discovering his real essence and nature was 100% pivotal to that. They did it at the right time, Season 7 and not before.
    Debra was the woman that Dexter unconsciously loved. Because Dexter was an experiment gone wrong. He started as a full psychopath channeled to kill other "assassin" psychopaths or sociopaths. He wasn't supposed to become "human", because psychopaths cannot become "humans". They cannot develop empathy. It's a matter of genetics.
    Dexter was different. Maybe the Code was the catalyst to make him "turn" into a human. He was an anomaly.

Veronica Mars and Brenald79 like this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

As much as I love the first four seasons (with 3 not being nearly as good as 1, 2 and 4), the Dexter/Skinner sequence at the end of 3 was way too contrived and far-fetched. Dexter manages to escape by rocking the table he is on, which just happens to not only break his wrist but loosen his ropes, and then he still has the strength somehow to not only fight off and kill the Skinner, but to then throw his body on to the hood of an oncoming police car, and then escape from the premises unseen even though there were cops all over? Er, okay.

14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Loved the first season, second was a massive step down, can't remember the third, never finished the fourth or the rest.

15. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

This thread is very similar to The Walking Dead thread. People like the early seasons and then continue to say how bad the later seasons are despite watching them. No doubt some of the haters will cough up for Showtime just to watch the new season of a show they ridiculed after season 4!

16. Veronica Mars

So you really just liked season 1 is what you are saying?

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Agreed the actress is very attractive. But I just couldn't stand the character. Like nails on a chalkboard. I was relieved more than anything else when she got what was coming to her.

BZync likes this.
  18. Timeline Man

Psychopaths are stronger than us.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No disrespect meant but saying it’s the “general consensus of the the internet community at large” is simply not true. You are trying to speak into existence this narrative that it’s a general consensus. Bro, it ain’t lol.

20. SRC

Wow. I had no idea that my words were so powerful! I am right here and now willing into existence these articles dating over the last eight years on every entertainment/fan site I can find!

Dexter Plots Return to Showtime Years After Its Derided Series Finale
    19 of the most-hated series finales of all time, according to critics
    The Dexter finale was the worst in TV history: where did it all go wrong?
    Did 'Dexter' Have the Most Disappointing Finale of All Time? This Graph Says Yes
    The Most Frustrating TV Finales Ever
    13 Controversial TV Show Finales That We Will Probably Never Get Over In This Lifetime
    Dexter reboot will be set 10 years after the much-hated finale
    The Terrible End of Our Once Beloved 'Dexter'
    Apparently Michael C. Hall Hated the Dexter Finale, Too - E! Online
    Looking back, people really, really hated the Dexter finale
    Let's All Remember How Genuinely Terrible The 'Dexter' Finale Was
    How Will A New 'Dexter' Series Redeem The Worst TV Finale In History?
    Why Dexter's Finale Is The Worst Of All Time
    Back from the dead: can Dexter finally get the ending it deserved?
    Dexter Series Finale Recap: A Terrible End
    Can 'Dexter' season 9 fix the disastrous series finale? We say "no" – Film Daily
    The 10 Most Disappointing TV Finales, According To Angry Fans
    The Dexter Revival Needs to Fix the Series' Original Ending
    Dexter: Season 8
    9+ TV Shows With The Worst Series Endings In History
    The Dexter finale was the worst in TV history: where did it all go wrong? - AmpGoo Entertainment and news from the worlds!
    A reminder of Dexter's mess of a finale as series confirmed for return
    These Are the Most Hated TV Finales of All TIme | Best Life
    The Worst Television Series Finales of All Time
    Why I Will Never Get over That Horrendous Final Season of 'Dexter'
    The Most Hated Series Finales Of All Time
    The 20 most hated TV finales of all time
    The worst TV series finales of all time
    Here Are the Worst TV Show Endings of All Time, Ranked
    The Best And Worst TV Series Finales Of All Time — Ranked
    The Worst Series Finales of All Time | Digital Trends
    Breaking Bad, Dexter & More: BCTV's Finale-O-Meter Rates Series
    The 16 Best And Worst TV Series Finales | IndieWire

No, bro, if you liked it, great, more power to you, I'm glad you enjoyed it if that's what this is really about. But to say that there is no internet consensus on the awfulness of Dexter's ending is like saying there's no consensus on whether water can get you wet. The idea that somehow I am "creating this narrative" would be laughable if not so bizarre.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yo bro settle down. I’m not talking about the series Finales. I’m talking about what you wrote about the second half of the series:

...part of a pattern of terribly lazy writing and awful plot ideas that the show embarrassed itself with for the entire second half of its run. This seems to be the general consensus of the the internet community at large.

Also, do you carry around that list in your back pocket?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Veronica Mars likes this.
  22. SRC

Yes I do, it's laminated, and don't call me Aslo!

Veronica Mars likes this.
  23. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

24. Veronica Mars

I do like that trailer. The humour is still there.

25. Veronica Mars

Anyone pick up on the new name?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.