Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I disagree because they are all written to take place in the MCU. Marvel Studios is still ultimately responsible for their diluting the brand.

The Inhumans was a disaster caused by the producers trying to save a buck by basing everything on Earth and its worst crime was cutting Medusa’s hair off just so they wouldn’t have to do all of that expensive CGI in every scene.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I never even knew there was an Inhumans TV show, but, if Medusa doesn’t have her hair, what’s the point of her even being in the show? That would be like a Spider-Man movie where he doesn’t have his web-shooters, agility, or spider-sense.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Absolute agreement. Thor 3 saved that franchise. Gave it a whole new lease on life, really.

Dr. Pepper, Walt and Joe W like this.
  4. davenav

Kevin Feige’s name is not on that series. Not MCU.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I get the criticisms but I still enjoyed the show for what it was. Wish they had a season 2

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The MCU is bigger than one person, and his name is on a lot of Marvel properties that aren’t in the MCU. It is undeniable that The Inhumans is supposed to inhabit the same Universe as Agents of Shield and Agent Carter, and by extension the first Avengers Movie as well as the rest of the Wave One crop of films. Now, they can choose to move it to a alternate timeline, but it is STILL part of the MCU, like it or not. Same goes with Cloak and Dagger on Freeform and the Netflix shows. It’s all MCU.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. davenav

Nevertheless. When the MCU gets around to The Inhumans, it going to look nothing like the tv show. They have already distanced themselves from it, since it was created and overseen by people who are not part of the team. Look at the production team and show me anyone working on MCU projects.

Dr. Pepper and Jim B. like this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You’re arguing things that are irrelevant. The Inhumans is part of the MCU as much as any of the other shows that I have already mentioned, and actually probably has more connection to the MCU than any of the others because it is the only one out of the bunch that was originally announced as one of the Phase Three films, only to be replaced by Spider-Man and Ant Man on the roster. Disney has voiced no intention to revisit Inhumans in the near future, if ever. In fact, most of the interest behind using inhumans to begin with was because they didn’t have the rights to use mutants. With their purchase of Fox and the acquisition of X-Men that issue has become moot, which only decreases the chances of an Inhumans reboot.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm quite surprised that Spider-Man: No Way Home is supposed to be coming this December yet there's still no trailer.

That's probably the one I'm most excited for. Though Shang-Chi looks fun. Not sure how much interest I can muster up for The Eternals, but a good trailer could also get me hyped for that.

The 10-year long original MCU story arc ended on a high note with both Endgame and Far From Home. Wonder if Marvel can keep it going?

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It was a major plot point for one of the comics...but they did it too early in a show where most people don't know the chareters.

What's funny is that Anson Mount, who plays Black Bolt, was one of the worst actors I've ever seen. BUT...man did he redeem himself as Captain Pike on Star Trek: Discovery...to the point he's getting his own show in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I get what you are saying and agree to a point but I think they have kept the TV and Film stuff pretty separated so nothing that happens in the TV world can be held to be cannon in the MCU.

Agents of Shield and using Coulson has kind of muddied the waters but none of it is really cannon and they can pretty much ignore it all. Like if we see Daredevil in the MCU, or Luke Cage, they are not going to be tied to what has happened in the TV shows.

It's cool for the TV shows to reference things happening in the films but that is very much a one way thing. I don't think it was ever designed to all fit together and be considered all part of the whole thing, in the same way that DC does it. I mean there is a Supergirl on TV but she doesn't exist in the films. The Marvel and DC TV shows are just like their animated series, same characters but different stories.

That's not to say of course that if something was hugely popular on the TV they couldn't transition it into the MCU.

davenav likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Phase IV, in which Dorris gets her oats!"
    :hide:

downer, Simon A, Dr. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  13. davenav

This is all correct.

Two additional points:
    1) Going forward, the MCU shows will connect with the films. There will be continuity from, say, WandaVision to Spider-Man to Doctor Strange films. We now have a new Captain America, who will feature in a film. Not sure about Loki, but it’s reasonable to assume that events in that series will impact on future films. Wakada Forever will surely help ease the way into the second Panther film. None of the previous shows had any impact on the films whatsoever. That’s not to say Charlie Cox won’t show up in a movie. They are free to pick and choose what they want from those shows, and from the Fox/Universal films too.

2) *pedant alert* It’s canon, not cannon.

Jim B. and Curveboy like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

They didn’t just use Coulson, Samuel L. Jackson as Fury also appeared on the show.

It doesn’t matter if it is all “one way”. They initially envisioned these shows as an extension of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now that Disney is running everything they are free to do whatever they want to, ignore them or whatever. But all that does is kick them to an alternate timeline in the multiverse. It doesn’t delete them from the MCU any more than Crisis on Infinite Earths deleted your comics from the 60s.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Sometimes it's just the show, not the actor. Hell On Wheels is an excellent show.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wakanda Forever is the second Black Panther movie, not a series. Those were all movie announcements.

BeatleJWOL and Curveboy like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Thought I would bring this over here to add clarity of what folks have been posting about.

Stormrider77, Deuce66 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Was there ever an announcement of how the franchise would handle Boseman's death? Meaning how the character will be portrayed?

I remember lots of speculation but I don't recall that I heard confirmation of a plan...

19. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I believe the only thing they officially said is that he won't be recast.

Oatsdad and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The title "Wakanda Forever" suggests it could be a movie about the other Wakanda characters with no Black Panther in it at all, but I don't know how likely that is.

Curveboy likes this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Remember how you had to wait several years between installments of STAR WARS or Indiana Jones? That MCU schedule is almost a movie every other month!

The MCU is the new serial, but with $200 million-plus budgets . . .

My guess is that they will return to a saner of two or three films a year once the Covid-related backup is resolved.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

8 movies in 2 years doesn’t seem too wise. People were already complaining about the over saturation around the time of Infinity War, so turning up the fire hose seems like the exact opposite thing to what should be done. Sure a certain amount of this can be brushed off as capitalizing on eventual reopening of theatres as the rollout continues. But that flame might be out by the 3 or 4th film. I sure hope they’re confident in their marketing.

23. Oatsdad

I've worked on the assumption that another character will become Black Panther but not T'Challa.

The first movie already tells us he's not the first/only BP, so it's easy for them to simply use another character as BP.

The tricky part IMO is how they handle the reason why the character's not there. Do they kill T'Challa? That seems tacky/crass.

Do they say he retired? Decided to farm soy instead? :shrug:

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Oatsdad

People have been counting on the decline of the MCU for what, 10 years now?

It seems inevitable the MCU will someday lose audience favor - even "Gunsmoke" got canceled eventually! - but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon...

Stormrider77, Exotiki and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Throw in the TV shows and you could just about have that:

June 11, 2021: Loki (6 episodes)

July 9, 2021: Black Widow

Mid-2021: What If? (10 episodes, presumably not as connected to the overall MCU, but you never know)

September 3, 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Late 2021: Ms. Marvel

November 5, 2021: Eternals

Late 2021: Hawkeye

December 17, 2021: Spider-Man: No Way Home

2022: Moon Knight (Oscar Isaac as the titular former soldier with god powers)

March 25, 2022: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

2022: She-Hulk (Bruce Banner's irradiated but make it sexy cousin)

May 6, 2022: Thor: Love and Thunder

TBA: Secret Invasion (Nick Fury and the Skrulls return: who's that alien imposter? sus)

July 8, 2022: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

TBA: Ironheart (Young genius (aged up from the comics, apparently) Riri Williams takes up the good work of the dearly departed Mr. Stark)

November 11, 2022: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)

Christmas 2022: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

February 17, 2023: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

TBA: Armor Wars (Don Cheadle/War Machine in an adaptation of a comic run that also inspired Iron Man 2 about replicated Stark tech; would not be surprised to see Justin Hammer return here)

May 5, 2023: Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3

TBA: Fantastic Four (sometime in the distant future I suppose; only flashed in the new trailer)

Stormrider77 and Jim B. like this.